It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schumer Introduces Marijuana Freedom and Opportunity Act

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Schumer Introduces Marijuana Freedom and Opportunity Act - New Legislation Would Decriminalize Marijuana At Federal Level Press release from Senate Democrats website.

Copy of Bill

Looks like Schumer is finally following through with his promise to move on this issue. Good stuff in this bill even though its not federal legalization. It codifies letting states do their own thing, removes marijuana from the scheduled drugs list and sets research among other things.

Hopefully some GOP jump on board currently it is only sponsored by Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Tim Kaine (D-VA) and Tammy Duckworth (D-IL).

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Typical politician, push their back to the wall and they will finally keep a promise.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

I don't see why GOP members wouldn't jump on this.

There are plenty of GOP politicians that favor the legalization of marijuana.

Good on Chuck for following through.

edit on 28 6 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I suspect many may not support this because Democrat.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Raise your hand if you want to see a team-Trump vs team-Schumer tweetfest about how awesome weed is for humans?

Both will claim 'endorsement' - this will be epic.

Hey, speaking of which, did you see, that just yesterday an historic bill was passed in the Senate regarding Hemp - MJ's non-whack brother?

Its now legal to grow hemp in the US - fully legal. Came out yesterday.

U.S. Senate Votes To Legalize Hemp After Decades-Long Ban Under Marijuana

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Gardner and Warren already have a bi-partisan Bill in committee I think. So, what's the point of this one? To steal the thunder?

Gardner got a promise from Trump. Schumer would likely kill it altogether. I would not get all excited just yet, Schumer may be trying to have his cake and eat it to, while guaranteeing nothing gets passed.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This sort of thing is the only actual silver bullet solution to Trump's most up front promises, and challenges before him.

And then he appointed Sessions.

Oh, right, "TRUST SESSIONS", right?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Did Trump sign that?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

You might be right, but screw them.

This affects democrats and republicans.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Did Trump sign that?

No, but he has previously endorsed state-level regulation, effectively leaving the Federal gov out of the debate.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Dem's only seem to actually care about keeping the border open (which keeps the cartels fully operational without hardly a hiccup).

Rep's love them a Police State apparatus (which an open border and its ripple effects helps them justify).

So much for Rep's loving a small government. So much for Rep's being all about business and prosperity, as they'll opt for the cartels to supply US with dirt weed that the whole economy could be propped up with via domestic gourmet product.

Little people and corps alike could reap this promised land. BUT I know in FLorida the Rep governor is ALL about setting it up into some new domestic 'corporate crony cannabis cartel model', and keeping the little people as far away from the prosperity as possible (even with it harming the patients).

So the Mexican cartels win win with Republican / Democrat.

Trump could cut the War on Drugs Police State Budget, and build his wall. All the little people could innovate whole new industries like we've seen in those few grow states. All that billions of dollars annual on the product staying here in the US. Tax money to fix the infrastructure, build schools, hospitals... New innovations to ship out across the world. Nope! Instead its Jeff Sessions and a continuation of the Police State.

You'd think at least the SJW's would be foaming at the mouth about it, they claim to LOVE poor poor minorities.... NOPE!

edit on 28-6-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Did Trump sign that?

It's the current Farm Bill.

If he hasn't, he will.

Decriminalizing hemp is a huge issue with the Agricultural sector.

Tons of money to be made there domestically.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

As I understand it, the Gardner-Warren bill leaves the question to the states which is fine except the Feds still go after it as a Federal crime.

This new legislation gets rid of restrictions at the Federal level.

Seems like they go hand-in-hand.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

^^^^
THIS

I find it amazing that for two posters who seem to agree on so much, we get along so poorly.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Did Trump sign that?

How so?

Firstly, the US are a little late to the party when it comes to legalizing hemp... Secondly, the majority of countries that have already re-legalized hemp production, aren't exactly making a killing from it.

I'd love to be proven wrong... But hemp seems to only be a cash crop of a long gone era.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

That won't pass and that's what I mean. This could in affect destroy the one Bill that will pass. I think that's the goal here.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Good, I've not been following the farm bill other than a couple of blurbs I've stumbled over. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

That won't pass and that's what I mean. This could in affect destroy the one Bill that will pass. I think that's the goal here.

That seems counter productive in my opinion but of course, you could be right.

I'd say they're trying to deal with the stupidity of the issue completely once and for all.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I don't see why GOP members wouldn't jump on this.

There are plenty of GOP politicians that favor the legalization of marijuana.

Good on Chuck for following through.

Public Opinion is to the point where its foolish for any party to not back it. But I am not holding my breath, because fairly often GOP takes the contrary stance.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Lumenari

Did Trump sign that?

How so?

Firstly, the US are a little late to the party when it comes to legalizing hemp... Secondly, the majority of countries that have already re-legalized hemp production, aren't exactly making a killing from it.

I'd love to be proven wrong... But hemp seems to only be a cash crop of a long gone era.

Biofuels.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join