It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me. . .

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I don't think any of those things would be overturned, but they may be clarified in a manner that re-instates some State sovereignty.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I am for Normalcy , Define it Yourself..........

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
You think a heavily unbalanced Supreme Court is not a good idea?

Nope. It's not just you.

Just wait till that old bird Ginsburg decides it's retirement time, a perfect Trifecta for Trump, probably in his second term.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
undies get into a knot, I think an unborn child is an individual.

Undies in a knot? Coincidentally this is why I can't sire children anymore

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Autovasectomy?

Ouch.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
What makes people so sure he's going to appoint a staunch Conservative to the court?

His history as a democrat supporter, friends with the Clintons...hello, wouldn't seem to lend itself to that.

However, that's why the Senate has hearings, yes? Then comes the vote. A judge doesn't get appointed in a vacuum.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull
Litmus test.
He promised his base:
www.cnbc.com...
edit on 6/28/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes, he did, I remember that...however, I didn't believe him then, and until he actually does appoint a strict conservative, I'm not going to believe him now.

But aren't we busily saying for the past year plus that he hasn't been keeping those promises...? Could have sworn I read that a time or twenty.

Which is it?

Though, I suppose, it could be a bit of both. Break most of the promises he made while on campaign, but keep this one?

I guess we'll see.

I'm not a fan of Roe v Wade, as I think the abortion issue should be settled at the state level. But that isn't even remotely the only issue where a certain style of justice could spell major change.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

But aren't we busily saying for the past year plus that he hasn't been keeping those promises...?
He's been trying to do so. His level of success is debatable. He just had a big win though, don't you know.

But that isn't even remotely the only issue where a certain style of justice could spell major change.
You don't really think he's going to nominate a moderate, do you?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   

I don't think the judges can meet and say, "Hmmm what laws can we reverse today?". Doesn't there have to be cases ongoing in America, that eventually work their way up to the Supreme Court?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I don't know. He may, he may not. I suspect, though that's not the same as knowing, that he'll nominate a right of center judge to the seat...how far right, remains to be seen.

A true moderate? Unlikely.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

An appeal can be directed to the Court. It is the Court's option to accept the case or not. One of the problems with a heavily weighted Court. In either direction. It can just say "No, we won't consider that."

adacourse.org...

edit on 6/28/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I also feel uneasy. I feel that anytime there is an opportunity to limit the governments power and and allow people to make decisions for themselves, it should be taken. SOME people who call themselves conservative dont always share that view, and instead opt for the normal partisan "we will just protect the liberties we like, and curtain the ones will dont" philosophy that is so common now.
I just hope trump apoints someone with a more libertarian bend. I know, i know, buzz is about repealing roe vs wade but im hoping that is just hype. I know better by now to look at what trump does rather than what he says

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: Phage
You think a heavily unbalanced Supreme Court is not a good idea?

Nope. It's not just you.

Just wait till that old bird Ginsburg decides it's retirement time, a perfect Trifecta for Trump, probably in his second term.

I'd say she'll retire when she's dead, but I think she already past that point a while ago.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ginsberg would have retired already if Hillary had been elected, but that again speaks to the partisan nature of the court.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: ketsuko

*snip* but that again speaks to the partisan nature of the court.

Which is absolutely NOT what the Framers intended ... in fact, by making the SCOTUS the only one of the three Branches that have lifetime appointments, it's quite clear they intended the OPPOSITE.

While we're talking about strict contructionism, I am reminded of one of my favorite TJ quotes:

I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and Constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

Thomas Jefferson

One of the best ways this philosophy is achieved is through the authority of a non-partisan Supreme Court.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join