It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schumer Demands Congress Wait Until After Midterm Elections to Confirm Kennedy Replacement

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: MemoryShock

That's incredibly professional of you. 

You know, I've been pondering the consequences of the 'Moderators are Members too' policy and I think that is BS. 

Moderators are members too though.

They have just as much right to post as the rest of us despite the fact that you don't agree with their opinions.

You're obviously a longtime member with accolades and stuff so you should know this.

Would you be happier if they used one of those disclaimer boxes around their posts or would you rather they just didn't post at all?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck
depends on what you think I am agreeing with...
the first sentence of my post might seem to be in agreement with you.
if you are hoping beyond hope that mueller goes crazy and manages to knock every corrupt person in our gov't.... in all branches... all parties... down then ya, we agree...
we need to clean out washington, the problem is we always just end up cleaning out one side or the other..

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Seems like we are agreeing then. Yes, I hope Mueller takes down every corrupt politician in DC, which likely includes at least 90% of them. Party be damned. If Trump is found to be corrupt, so be it; take him down.

The only thing we might disagree on is that I do not think he is corrupt at this time... I think he's outing the corrupt ones. I also don't think Mueller is going to take down anyone on the DNC side of the aisle; he seems pretty partisan himself.

On whether the confirmation should be delayed... I said in my first post in this thread I was OK with it. Fair is fair, and I don't think it's going to matter anyway. We agree on that too.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

Maybe one of them has a sense of moral conviction over politics.

Nah... you're right.

Senate will push through a nomination as long as the candidate isnt to crazy. And if they dont i think it will happen after elections either way. Looking at senate seats up for grabs several are in states Trump won by double digits. Meaning democrats could lose seats if they try to resist to much.

So more then likely some democrats will vote for approval.

When #resist is life, but you also want to keep being a corrupt bureaucrat.
The struggle is REAL.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   

a reply to: Phoenix
Justices interpret the Constitution as it applies to other law, vice versa, actually. That is their job.

That is not the problem. The problem is when the Court is heavily weighted to either a conservative or liberal interpretation.

Supreme Court Justices are supposed to decide the constitutionality of laws based on the Constitution, as well as weigh in the original intent presented in the Federalist Papers. The only additions they are supposed to take into account are the Amendments that have been added by ratification.

They are not supposed to interpret the Constitution based on laws. That would mean the Constitution is vulnerable to the whims of recent legislation, which means it could say anything that enough law makers want it to.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Potus election is different than midterms
If you think 3 GOP will break with GOP potus before midterms I have some land you may be interested in
This is nba allstar slam dunk
Easiest SCOTUS confirmation ever

It'll be just like Gorsuch...it'll be the Dems that can't keep everyone in line. There are a number of red state senate Dems up for re-election that can't afford to vote against the nominee, especially given that GOP voters will turn out when a SC seat is on the line.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Someone who doesn't just re-write the constitution from the bench.

Justice Gorsuch, Trump's appointment, wants to rewrite the 4th Amendment!

Gorsuch says he’ll repeal and replace the Fourth Amendment with something terrific thinkprogress.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Who was the last "true patriot" you know of, in DC? Its all about the teams now.

It makes me very sad that I can't come up with a name for you.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Nah... you're right.

LOL, so if it were to be stalled, and a left leaning justice was appointed, that would be moral and good?

I remember when Phage had some sense.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
excuse me, didn't y'all cheer when they, with no legal basis, decided obama didn't get to nominate a justice even tho he had a year left in his term?

at least have the sack to own your hypocrisy.

That was my thinking exactly. It seems "good for the goose, good for the gander" isn't in their vocabulary.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

excuse me, didn't y'all cheer when they, with no legal basis, decided obama didn't get to nominate a justice even tho he had a year left in his term?

Well...yeah....but it was supposed to be a present for Hillary, to be fair....

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Diminishing Amygdala Syndrome...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Nah... you're right.

LOL, so if it were to be stalled, and a left leaning justice was appointed, that would be moral and good?

I remember when Phage had some sense.

Moral and Good, and Tit for Tat.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: dragonridr

I'll have to disagree with you there. The document itself has specific means written into it to allow it to be changed as times dictated. We've done it many times. Why would anyone take the time to work out a process by which the document could be changed if they intended it to be treated as a "living document" and changed to fit the political winds of the time?

Also, why write it down even? Stories change with time and with the teller. There's even an old joke that fish are the only animal that keeps growing after it dies, a reference to the fact that stories of catching fish often change with telling and the fish typically gets reported as larger than the time before. If a friend and I decide to do something together, we typically don't write it down, because we trust each other to be fair should we need to adjust our plans. Contrast that with any written contract: inflexible, exact, and solid. If one signs a mortgage on their home, the entire purpose of that signature is to prove agreement with exactly worded documents describing the mortgage and the duties under it of both the lender and the borrower.

The very fact that the Constitution was written down so precisely is proof that it was not intended to be a "living document." Like any other legal paper, it is intended to be steadfast over time.

And here, 235 years after it was signed, we stand as one of the most prosperous countries on Earth. Back then, we were a rag-tag association of 13 colonies, none self-supporting. Our people were outcasts from British society for the most part. Yet, from that meager beginning we attained the prosperity we enjoy today in a time span never heard of before. We had our problems, yes, like everyone does, but we must have done something right.

The one thing we did differently was the Constitution. It was unheard of in that day for a people to control the government.

So I do have to disagree with you. The Constitution is not a living document; it is a solid rock that guides our way, not a floating ship that gets tossed to and fro in every storm that comes along.

TheRedneck

May I share this?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Schumer Demands Congress Wait Until After Midterm Elections to Confirm Kennedy Replacement

I say they need to shotgun it through RIGHT NOW.

Just to make Schumer cry.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Enderdog

Well...yeah....but it was supposed to be a present for Hillary, to be fair....

She was going to Nominate Loretta Lynch.

💥Sun💥Burn💥

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Well Trump has more than a year left in his run and the democrats do not have the majority . He is the leader of the minority which means he has about as much power as a can of bushes baked beans.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
The Biden rule is not a rule. It is an imposed Nazi-style takeover attempt of the judicial system of the highest court in the land.
And , Schumer demands ? Schumer can demand a lot. Then he must tuck tail between legs and move on. As usual.

Yeah, that's why the GOP refused to even hold confirmation hearings on a candidate for almost a year.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

originally posted by: Gothmog
The Biden rule is not a rule. It is an imposed Nazi-style takeover attempt of the judicial system of the highest court in the land.
And , Schumer demands ? Schumer can demand a lot. Then he must tuck tail between legs and move on. As usual.

Yeah, that's why the GOP refused to even hold confirmation hearings on a candidate for almost a year.

Did you read ?
Did I say I was against Dem or Repub holding back on nominations ? Yes
I stated facts on the start of the Biden Rule (get it , Biden) and how I felt about the Biden rule.
Did I bring partisanship into it ? -No.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

All I got to say is this:

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join