It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are you proud to be an American? do you get offended when others are not?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: TinySickTears
...I am thankful to be an American....

That's a very good answer actually! In fact, that puts you in my book of patriots. You have appreciation for what you have and that's what I think a lot of naturally born Americans don't realize. Sadly Introvert, I tend not to agree with most of your posts but I certainly respect your opinion.

Oddly enough, I'm sitting in Brussels at the moment enjoying one of the fine beers they have to offer. About to order a second. Une bière s'il-vous-plaît

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

That's a very good answer actually! In fact, that puts you in my book of patriots. You have appreciation for what you have and that's what I think a lot of naturally born Americans don't realize.

Agree. We should be thankful for what we have, and always willing to work hard for that which we don't.

Many of those that call themselves patriots do not seem to impart that sort of mindset. They come off as being more arrogant and entitled, rather than humble and grateful.

Sadly Introvert, I tend not to agree with most of your posts but I certainly respect your opinion.

Much appreciated.

Oddly enough, I'm sitting in Brussels at the moment enjoying one of the fine beers they have to offer. About to order a second. Une bière s'il-vous-plaît

I wish I could share the experience with you, but unfortunately I am not in Brussels and I no longer drink alcohol.

But enjoy...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
nationalism is racism in different robes. I detest nationalism.

Im happy to be American, but not proud. In fact, im not proud of much of what others are proud of as it tends to simply be modern half men resting on the laurels of men who, compared to us, were giants. its a stolen honor that we have not earned in a couple of generations.

Man, this is a good post. Sums up my feelings as well, and far more eloquently than I could.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I am not really proud of anything about myself. I try to keep that type of thinking in check. Although last night I scored 182 in my Titanfall 2(online first person shooter video game with mechs) match and came in first place. I was pretty proud of that, but when I stood up to whoop and holler in excitement, I tripped over my ottoman and fell. So I guess the bible was right about that. A lot of wisdom can be found in the good book.

However, I am happy to be an American. I have had a decent life, although it has been far from perfect. I am in a happy relationship. I eat good and have a roof over my head. I have fun and know how to enjoy life. I feel fairly safe whenever and wherever I go out, even in big bad dangerous murder capital Chicago when I am there. I love my family and I love my country.

This country is so awesome compared to like all of history. Seriously, the vast majority of humans to ever exist have not had as good a life as some of the worst off in this country. I have been as far down on the bottom as one could possibly be, but still had it better than most of history. Plus this country allows you to fall to the bottom and then work your way back up. Not everyone can say they live in a place that allows this. So what is not to like?

Of course not everything is perfect and it never will be. My advice to those that are unhappy. Become a hoe instead of a moe or a poe. Happiness over everything, instead of money over everything, and politics over everything.

edit on 28-6-2018 by karmicecstasy because: of an edict signed into galactic law three hundred and fifty million years ago

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
No.

Not today.

My country isn't proud of me.

Oh, I'm proud of the ideals this country was founded on. I'm proud of my ancestors' role in securing us rights, and forming a nation founded on an idea.

But that ideal has been raped and warped and screwed around til the country is a shell of what it once was. And even trumps supporters know it: "make America great AGAIN."

The effing Marxists have just about achieved total victory in destroying everything that was worth fighting for. There used to be respect for the individual, the "little guy." Now the lawyers run everything.

Our country, the people of our country can't even call evil what it is any more. You don't dare say that homosexuality or transgenderism or any other perversion is a mental illness. So much for MY free speech, anyway. How are you going to have a viable nation, a viable society, in 100 years, when you punish people for breeding, and reward them for living in their lives like it was the middle of a gay pride parade?

Any hut-dweller in any third-world stink-hole can tell you that it is idiotic to let people break into your country and sign up for every well-fare benefit they couldn't get if they were born there, and get free legal aid in the bargain. Illegals aren't coming here because they want to become Americans; they are coming here to get benefits so they can wire them home by western union to their families in the old country. They don't use bank accounts in America; but they all have western union accounts...

Every political question is merely a long march to the progressive goal. Immigration scandals are just a push for open borders and one world government. Gay marriage is just a step on the path to no marriage at all. Universal day care is a step toward the government replacing the family. Climate change is a step on the path to a hierarchical society, where the elites control the energy consumption of the proles, again via a one world government.

Legalizing drugs is a step to government ENFORCED drugs; the government controlling your state of consciousness. Just like its illegal NOT to be on the grid, its becoming impossible NOT to be online. No one can buy or sell without the mark of the beast. Soon, the government will control not just THE food supply, but your daily intake, right down to which PILLS you pop in the morning.

No. I'm not proud of my particular government, setting itself up as the abomination that is desolation and commanding all the peoples of the earth to bow down.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: WarPig1939

2 comments here:

- "Proud" seems to be defined somewhat differently between you and I. Respect, honor, integrity, dignity...that is all things I feel for and give to my nation. Pride is something I take in my own achievements. But I get where you are coming from.

- the US hasn't fallen to a foreign power because we generally tend to be the foreign power other nations fall to

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Wayyy back in the stone age, a young BFFT was sitting on the couch playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out, the hottest game on the market at the time. I had spent hour upon hour learning how to beat all the underlings, and had spent a couple of weeks working my way up to being close to beating Tyson.

When I finally beat him (after a couple weeks of effort) i jumped up and put my hands above my hand in victory. My elation was short lived when the ceiling fan knocked a big chunk of skin off the back of my index finger knuckle, and broke my controller as it sent it flying across the room.

Own worst enemy, I tell ya.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Millions of people try to become American citizens yearly. When I hear someone say they are not proud to be American I always think there are a few million who would be happy to replace them. Most likley they are not contributing much anyway.

Get em out of here!

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Nationalism...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

What is ok to be proud of OP?

I'm proud of my humility.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

- the US hasn't fallen to a foreign power because we generally tend to be the foreign power other nations fall to

So far.

I don't feel isolationism is moving toward any advantage.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
How about we take away the nation states and borders (much like many people wish to,) and redress the question as 'Are you proud to be human?' or, 'Do you feel lucky to be human'?
What are you proud of, or what do you feel lucky about as a transient earth dweller?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucius Driftwood

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: Lucius Driftwood

I guess you were too proud to get that.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucius Driftwood

We were both telling jokes.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I humbly acknowledge your humble response. Nice.
I would've been proud of that too.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

PS- Is that avatar your picture, or Joe Strummers'?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucius Driftwood

Mine.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I am not pleased to say your opinion does not surprise me at all having seen your posts here.

National pride is not wrong. In fact, in many ways it is necessary. This is our home. Many people just like us fought and died to make the USA what it is today. Well, to be more accurate, they fought and died to make the USA what it should be today. What it actually is amounts to less than the sum total of the sacrifices made on its behalf. But that is the effect our politicians have, not our people. It is that ideal that survives and drives us, not what the criminal politicians have done.

Our Constitution is one of the greatest documents ever written. It is shameful the way it has been bastardized and perverted. Once it was written that anyone borne here is automatically considered a citizen. That was when our nation was new and people were still coming from Europe by the boat full to make a life in the new world. Their children when born here did not have to apply for citizenship. They were saved the labor of doing so by virtue of Constitutional amendment. Now that amendment has been perverted to include children of illegal aliens that sneaked across the border under the cover of darkness to give birth on US soil. Everyone knows how the law is meant to be interpreted though many with an agenda will argue otherwise.

To look at the USA today and say you are not proud is a bit of a conundrum. I too have less pride than I used to when I look at my nation with honest eyes. We have let the wolves in to the hen house and are suffering the effects of neglect and ignorance. When there are so many individuals whom have not invested in this nation in pride, honor, and effort, the nation as a whole suffers. And those of us who have invested in our nation feel ignored and used, taken advantage of, by those who flock in droves for free everything that was never ever free. It has a price and it is payed by those of us who belong here and work hard every day for a better life. Unfortunately, that better life often lands in the laps of those whom have only recently illegally crossed our borders and demanded to suckle the teat of American bounty with nothing that even resembles a thank you. They act as if we owe them something.

America is described as the great melting pot and many are quick to point out that immigration is what made this country great in the first place. Our Constitution and our laws make note of the fact that there is a difference between immigration and illegal entry to this nation.

No country was ever made great by people sneaking across its borders in the middle of the night. Many nations have been destroyed that way, but none made great.

I am proud of my country. I am not proud of the country it is being turned in to by people who do not belong here or have a vested interest in our success as a nation. There IS a difference.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Our Constitution is one of the greatest documents ever written.

Curious: have you ever done comparisons to other Constitutions?

You do know ours is kind of a hodge-podge throw together from various other documents.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join