It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Hard at work with the 'No Couches for Congress' Act HR 5845

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone heard about this one. I sure did not see it in the media and this is GREAT waste to be shown by our government.

Bennie Thompson on 5/16 introduced this act that would be 2 things.

Link

1. Would not allow House members to stay over night in their offices. So, making it illegal to sleep somewhere? Really? Then you find out why...
2. A stipend of up to 3000.00 for an place to stay.

So let's make it a law we need to stay somewhere and then MAKE the taxpayer pay for it. This is nuts!

So, these guys are in session on average 150 days a year. We all know they are not all there anyways. Now they want us to not only pay them, give them free healthcare and pension for life but PAY for their accommodations!

In an age when replacing aging furniture causes a stir it is sick to think they are trying to sneak in an act that could potentially add 15 million to the US debt each year.

THIS is what they work on while they RESIST...vote them ALL out this fall. Man, it is going to be a wild ride after these mid-term elections.
edit on Junpm30pmf0000002018-06-27T15:51:04-05:000304 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Let's build them a tent city on the North lawn of the White House. Good enough for our military and the recent immigrants, then it's good enough for them. If they don't like it, then they can resign and stay out of public service.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Wow, this is just stupid. It actually rivels our idiot PM in Canada. I had hopes that the political disease was not this widespread, obviously, I was wrong.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The difference between a hermit and bum. Neither works a job for a living but one is independent from society and one is dependent on society. Which one is more favorably looked upon.

Get the bums off the couches and put them to work.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Sleep on the floor ya ninnies.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Like this poor bastard?

Link

Sometimes people DO want to be left alone....

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

But that is the craziest part is they want to include legislation that makes that illegal...hahaha...literlally creating a problem and then offering a solution at cost to the taxpayer.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
They are there furniture that needs replacing,
Sounds like one of them had a bad spring in his couch and decided to get a room and figured out a way for us to pay for it .
Put them all out on the curb with the old furniture and filthy mattresses.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It's a law to justify being able to spend $3000 more. It closes the complaint department.

edit:

Given the quality of their work, A person in the same position probably could not even sleep.

edit on 6/27/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Bums want $3000 a night B&B’s. A hermit would be in heaven sleeping on a couch.

Of course I say end the income tax and let Congress have a bake sale if they want more money. They might appreciate the work to get it and stop reckless spending.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
In all fairness, this is probably what they consider a priority to be acted on in the country.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
In all fairness, this is probably what they consider a priority to be acted on in the country.

You better believe it. See they are all out for themselves. People wake up and please hurry about it. I'm really lost for words for this type of policy.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:30 AM
link   
They can play all they want.

Newsflash for them.

The President will not sign it.

End.

P

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
They want $3000 each for couches?
I pay less than that on average for the vehicles I use to commute to work.

Only way you're spending three grand on a couch is by buying a $500 couch from your friend at 600% markup so he can buy a boat.
Every single person who votes for this kind of idiocy should be fired.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

It does not appear to be a stipend of $3000 but a $3000 deduction on their taxes.

H.R.5645

(a) In General.—The second sentence of section 162(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by inserting after “for income tax purposes” the following: “in any amount in the case of a Senator or in excess of $3,000 in the case of a Member of the House of Representatives or a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to the Congress”.

Here is the relevant piece of Internal Revenue Code being amended above.
[USC07] 26

§162. Trade or business expenses
(a) In general
There shall be allowed as a deduction all the ordinary and necessary expenses paid or incurred during the taxable year in carrying on any trade or business, including-
(1) a reasonable allowance for salaries or other compensation for personal services actually rendered;
(2) traveling expenses (including amounts expended for meals and lodging other than amounts which are lavish or extravagant under the circumstances) while away from home in the pursuit of a trade or business; and
(3) rentals or other payments required to be made as a condition to the continued use or possession, for purposes of the trade or business, of property to which the taxpayer has not taken or is not taking title or in which he has no equity.

For purposes of the preceding sentence, the place of residence of a Member of Congress (including any Delegate and Resident Commissioner) within the State, congressional district, or possession which he represents in Congress shall be considered his home, but amounts expended by such Members within each taxable year for living expenses shall not be deductible for income tax purposes. For purposes of paragraph (2), the taxpayer shall not be treated as being temporarily away from home during any period of employment if such period exceeds 1 year. The preceding sentence shall not apply to any Federal employee during any period for which such employee is certified by the Attorney General (or the designee thereof) as traveling on behalf of the United States in temporary duty status to investigate or prosecute, or provide support services for the investigation or prosecution of, a Federal crime.

Also, the cost of living and availability of accommodations in DC is problematic as well.

Cost of living in Washington DC

Monthly rent for 85 m2 (900 Sqft) furnished accommodation in NORMAL area is $2299

edit on 28-6-2018 by BomSquad because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-6-2018 by BomSquad because: formatting

Keep in mind, these congressmen/women also need to maintain their home in their home districts as well as paying for a home in the Washington DC area.

I am NO fan of congress, but I don't see this as a huge cash grab. There have been cases of congressmen/women living out of their offices because they can't afford or can't find local accommodations. I remember reading a while back about 3 congressmen sharing an apartment because they couldn't afford their own place or to bring their families with them to DC.

FYI, Congressmen make $175k per year.
edit on 28-6-2018 by BomSquad because: (no reason given)

top topics

join