It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terms of endearment from loved ones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I was on the phone to my Mam just now and when we said goodbye she said "Love you petal" as she has called me all my life.
I'm an early 40's bloke who works in construction and it always makes me have a smile with glassy eyes. I love being her petal.

Another favourite was with an ex girlfriend who used to call me 'babycakes', but she calls me amigo now and I like that as well...she is my amiga.
So, just wondering if anyone is interested, what terms of endearment anecdotes do you have?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

About 20 high school girls that I've coached in softball call me pattycakes.
Real name patrick of course

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Haha I like that!
I'm called Blondie by my close mates, never known why, never been blonde lol

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I wonder if my brother tells his wives that he spent his childhood being called "The Little Precious". (Not by me, though)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

"The little precious" I loved that as well, like me as my Mam's "petal", I was last born of 5...including my twin sister by 8 minutes.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
All my thralls refer to me as their Eternal Master.

I tell them, "Stop it you guise, you're going to make me buh-lush."

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Eternal master lol, not sure about that one.
Sounds sinister to me but hey.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I call my husband “Love”.... not babe, or sweetie. My best guy friend is “Dude”. And all my kids are called “Turkey”, especially when they are being silly.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Sinister?

I heard no one complain from the Wheel of Pain.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I was on the phone to my Mam just now and when we said goodbye she said "Love you petal" as she has called me all my life.
I'm an early 40's bloke who works in construction and it always makes me have a smile with glassy eyes. I love being her petal.

Another favourite was with an ex girlfriend who used to call me 'babycakes', but she calls me amigo now and I like that as well...she is my amiga.
So, just wondering if anyone is interested, what terms of endearment anecdotes do you have?

Have a few

My parents pretty much just order things around without ever saying names and when they need to ask directly they look at you and order more things, rarely they speak our names, they are weird lol

My brother calls me "boneyard" lmao

My uncles and aunts call me "baby" for some reason, even now these days when they check on me, it is embarrassing in front of friends

My friends call me "Say", you see i was supposed to be called заря (Zarya) which means Sunshine but thanks to some idiot fat fingers it ended up as Эаира (Sayra or Zayra) and this name stuck and i think is like from the middle east and means Sara or Sarah or something like that, if it even exists at all
so to avoid that "difficult" part they just call me "Say" lmfao

Latin American and Spaniard friends call me "flaka" which is something like "skinny", other not very close but people i know call me "blondie"

Oh a friend very long ago used to call me "sunny" but it was weird so it didn't last long, also my grand aunt called me "honey" and never ever heard her say my actual name

I'm called Blondie by my close mates, never known why, never been blonde lol

I guess maybe Blondie is not really just about your skin or hair color but as how they see your or how they feel around you, like maybe you make their life brighter and that's why they call you blondie, because that's how they feel about you

edit on 27-6-2018 by WarriorMH because: bad grammar sorry

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

My wife's favorite nickname for me is, "what in the hell are you still doing here you loser."

Sigh

Good times.

Good times.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

By far, the nickname that I love most is Dad.

(Also, my name is so short that it requires no substitute
)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Fun thread. Wife and I have a 30 year history so we both use "mo" as a term of endearment (moron). We don't think alike. I'm usually called monty by our group and she is known as the Mayor.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: WarriorMH
Gosh you do have a few!
Brothers are supposed to tease lol, my older bro's still call me Babba because I took a while to talk and just ran around shouting "Babbababba".
Interesting story about your name as well, I've got one similar, my dad missed out my middle name when he registered my birth, my mother was furious so even though they are not religious they got me babtised at church because it was the only way to get the name added to my birth certificate. She never let him forget it lol.
...nice thoughts about 'blondie' as well, I'll run with that as the reason

a reply to: DBCowboy
LMAO! I love your funny lines on ATS

a reply to: JinMI
My favourite name is dad as well, made smile reading that

a reply to: montybd
Mo, Monty, and The Mayor, haha love it

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

My Dad used to call me Morning glory or Pigeon.
These days loved ones just call me by a slang/short for my name, Shell.
If I hear that, I know someone who I know intimately is trying to get my attention.

My daughters go by their nicknames.
If I used their full given names while they were younger they thought that I was upset or whatever LOL.
My youngest daughter's nickname is the initials from her first and middle name.
My eldest's is a take on her Father's last name who his Father was called the same.

So, they are not really terms of endearment I suppose. A lot of folks where I live use the 'honey', 'sweetie', 'sugar', etc. but, it seems almost condescending or insincere at times and especially if one is not familiar with the person using it toward them it can feel a little awkward.

I've been called 'hon' or 'hun' on jobsites before and I laugh it off and next interaction I make sure that I call them sweet cheeks or hot stuff or something similar. I'm a smart aleck sometimes!

I like petal also!

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I used to follow my gramps around a lot while crawling like a lost puppy, so I was called puppy.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Oh I love pigeon!

That is so sweet.

Nicknames for loved ones are most definitely terms of endearment, my son I call 'Sonwah', it is an adaptation from an 80's British TV series where one character called the other one 'Davewah', incidently my late best mate Dave I used to call 'Davewah' for the same reason lol.
My son would think it weird if I texted or spoke to him by his name it has become so normal to us.

Oh, and I love informal lines like that when I'm shopping, woman at the supermarket always calls me 'Bab' she's from midlands in England and it is the same as babe. And I love going to the bakery because a 20 something girl always calls me 'my lovely', makes me smile every time.

We're not very politically correct in my parts like you read on the internet, I had a lovely flirtation session at the bank the other day with a gorgeous girl half my age, she started it.
I haven't shaved my head since November and after losing my ATM card had to go in with my passport to get some money out, conversation...

Girl - Oh you look so much better with your lovely thick hair, not like a criminal in the picture
Me - Laughed, Thank you, lot's of people have said the same
Girl - Honestly you do, you look like a surfer dude now
Me - I love your hair as well, is it true what they say about red-heads being fiery?
Girl - I'm a complete bitch, but I make up for it in other ways [wink]
Both - laughter and cheeky smiles.

Totally not politically correct but cheered the day up for both of us

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
I used to follow my gramps around a lot while crawling like a lost puppy, so I was called puppy.

Aw that is really cute as well!

new topics

top topics

join