It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Complex Organic Molecules Discovered on Enceladus For The First Time

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Bacteria coming out ya nose is considered alive, look it up. Deny ignorance

I'm not talking about the bacteria or any other thing that comes out in the snot. I'm talking about the mucus. It is not alive.

Deny ignorance. Know your snot!
edit on 28-6-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheesh
But why, when we seem to find organic molecules, planets in the right position, water everywhere we look, don't we see a single shred of even a hint of life anywhere capable of radio transmissions or anything like that?

Radio wasn't invented on Earth until 1895. Aliens looking in our direction couldn't detect radio signals from Earth before that. And the invention of a radio transmitter doesn't mark intelligence.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

a reply to: neoholographic

But why, when we seem to find organic molecules, planets in the right position, water everywhere we look, don't we see a single shred of even a hint of life anywhere capable of radio transmissions or anything like that?
I mean, if we clearly saw that our planet is something really special, I could understand, but it isn't.

I think you will enjoy this very much.

edit on 6/28/2018 by Alien Abduct because: Fixed YouTube link... I think

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Deploy the Space Force to collect out undeveloped cousins!

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

Radio wasn't invented on Earth until 1895. Aliens looking in our direction couldn't detect radio signals from Earth before that. And the invention of a radio transmitter doesn't mark intelligence.

If the invention of a radio transmitter isn’t a mark of intelligence then I don’t know what is.

Could you explain why it isn’t and what you would consider a mark of intelligence?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

A prisoner in a cell can be intelligent without lifting a finger. Intelligence is non corporeal.

A radio transmitter would be contraband.

Thats why you will never seen non human technology. Technology is corruption that puts us in our isolated, quarantined corporeal state.

All foreign life are hiding in non corporeal forms. Trust me, the invention of radio wave transmitters has been no blessing to these forms.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
We should send Canadians there at once.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Ohhhhh snap!!!

I just bet there's some spectacular creatures down there.

Great big bi-peds, tri-peds, hell even quad-peds just milling about down there.

Woah, four legs?? Let's not go loco with the locomotion. I'll consider it when I see a mono-ped even.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I mean, if we clearly saw that our planet is something really special, I could understand, but it isn't.

it is entirely possible that the radio phase for some intelligent species were skipped, and that many others washed over us centuries ago and were abandoned, while others are 'new' and hundreds of light years away heading toward our receivers.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: CreationBro

The sooner we explore Enceladus, Europa, Ganymede, Titan, and Mars, in depth, the sooner the better....

“All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landing there."

.....Use them together, use them in peace.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
a reply to: gortex

Imagine the beasties down there.

As a human, I hope to one day get the chance to kill and eat whatever is living in that ocean.

#TeamEarth

Hahahaha that’s a good one. On a serious note it would likely poison you if you were to eat it.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: humanoidlord
a reply to: trollz

there is no proof that UFOs are extraterrestrial, in fact there is more proof that they are something far weirder i would suggest my (almost) weekly series of "humanoid encounters" thread for proof angaist ETH

Didn’t read your thread but if it suggests the aliens are from another dimension, that would also qualify as extraterrestrial.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   

That's what they said about those puffer fish, but we still know how to make Fugu that you can eat, rather than dying of it!

In all seriousness though, you are probably right. Unlike things like Fugu (blowfish), creatures from another world may be arranged biologically in such a fashion that the entirety of their meat is somehow toxic to us, especially if they have been feasting on sources of nutrition that we would normally be surprised by.

Its worth remembering that many of the species we refer to as extremophiles, consume highly toxic materials from deep water vents, and veins of material in deep trenches in the seabed. It is these which probably offer the best examples of things we are likely to find living in the deeps of a frozen oceanic world. Noshing on many of the strangest and most resilient creatures we know of, would probably land us a trip to the mortuary, so its wise to be highly cautious with anything found in circumstances like those on Enceladus.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: lostbook

I've been saying for years that BC Enceladus has life. Now I feel vindicated

Why would you feel vindicated?

They didn't announce the discovery of life. Only complex organic compounds. That isn't analogous to life.

The admission of "complex" organic compounds is pretty much an admission of life if you ask me.

I see where you are coming from, but don't let chemistry nomenclature fool you.

Basically, all that is making a molecule complex is that it is an aggregate of molecular entities, and all that is making it 'organic' is that involves carbon atoms.

What that means is essentially - but not quite - that if you can split a molecule into two or more separate molecules at least one of which contain carbon, then you got yourself a 'complex organic molecule'. There are millions upon millions of such compounds.

The whole 'organic' thing has it roots in the old beliefs of Vitalism that stated that living things obviously are different than non-living things and must therefore be made up of stuff that have some sort of special life giving quality. It then followed that since there is whole lot of carbon in organic matter, then carbon itself must be organic in nature.

So there you have it.

The naming is just bound to fool laymen - but it does make for better headlines.
edit on 29-6-2018 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

That's what they said about those puffer fish, but we still know how to make Fugu that you can eat, rather than dying of it!

In all seriousness though, you are probably right. Unlike things like Fugu (blowfish), creatures from another world may be arranged biologically in such a fashion that the entirety of their meat is somehow toxic to us, especially if they have been feasting on sources of nutrition that we would normally be surprised by.

Its worth remembering that many of the species we refer to as extremophiles, consume highly toxic materials from deep water vents, and veins of material in deep trenches in the seabed. It is these which probably offer the best examples of things we are likely to find living in the deeps of a frozen oceanic world. Noshing on many of the strangest and most resilient creatures we know of, would probably land us a trip to the mortuary, so its wise to be highly cautious with anything found in circumstances like those on Enceladus.

Speaking of extremophiles you are right, that’s exactly what we would be finding there on that moon. Let’s just say for arguments sake that we found life on Enceladus.

The thing is people seem to be of the mind that life formed there. I don’t see that happening given the extreme conditions there. It would be much more likely that it was seeded so to speak. Earth or a similar place being struck by an asteroid blasting chunks into space containing microbial life then eventually land on Enceladus and adapting seems to me to be a more likely scenario.

Life as we know it needed a very delicate and special set of circumstances in order to come into existence in the first place. Only then could it adapt and spread to all corners of the earth including the most extreme areas.

We already know life can live in many extreme conditions. However adapting to live there and forming there are two very different scenarios.

If we did find life there or anywhere besides here for that matter, it would certainly raise more questions than answers, that would be very exciting!
edit on 6/29/2018 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Life forms need some source of energy - all our cells have mitochondria which do a conversion of ATP with water, hydrogen ions and phosphates. Planets need photosynthesis. Fungus needs wood and other food sources like rotten wood. Deep down in the oceans there are bacteria that can live in the heat of ocean vents.

If there was one species of bacterium then there would be macrophages, viruses, and even then some kind of mutation and evolution where different species would find different niches in the environment as well as feed on each other.

In many Earth cave systems, different species occupy the ceiling (bats), the cave floor (scorpions, beetles and centipedes) which feed off the bat poop or abandoned food like berries.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It was exacty almost 10 years ago that Cassini first "tasted" the water from the plumes of Enceladus looking for organics. Here is a thread I made back in 2008 about the early results of that analysis of the water in the plumes.

Some organics were in fact found at that time from the tentative analyses does of the data, and the new paper that came out last week about the complex organic molecules include that 2008 analysis (and subsequent analyses) of the plumes.

Here's that 2008 thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The link in that thread is now broken, but here is a new link to that earlier article (which has since been archived by NASA because it could contain some outdated information):
Cassini Tastes Organic Material at Saturn's Geyser Moon Enceladus

edit on 29/6/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

oh ok you weren't more specific in the first instance.

could mucus be used as a prophylactic against germs?
mucus:

It is a viscous colloid containing inorganic salts, antiseptic enzymes (such as lysozymes), immunoglobulins, and glycoproteins such as lactoferrin and mucins, which are produced by goblet cells in the mucous membranes and submucosal glands.

edit on 29-6-2018 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Prene

It gets even spookier if as some have suggested "woo" activity increased when we first started using atomics.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Hey I thought you were against the NWO plan that divides people.

You are becoming part of the problem LOL

Send them down to OZ. we've got natural suntans and beaches

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join