It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthony Kennedy retiring from Supreme Court

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
If this happens before the November election, expect a fight in the Senate, no holds bar that is going to happen where the Democrats are going to pull what McConnell pulled in the last year of the Obama Presidency. It is going to be nasty, and very political, and one that is not going to go well for anyone.

They can't. The Democrats are totally powerless here on their own. It only takes 50 votes (Pence being the 51st) to confirm now, and Republicans hold the majority by one seat (assuming McCain doesn't vote).

These votes can also not be fillabustered.

Democrats have literally zero ability to oppose anything that happens with this pick, they are completely removed from the discussion.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
The danger of stacking the court with people who lean one way is that it lends itself to the possibility that it will lean the other way in the future.

Which is why I've always wanted term limits on Supreme Court and Congress.

I've also always wanted a unicorn named Jeffery.

9 moderates would be best, but moderates make no political sense on the court. What does make sense is to place extremists on, and stack it as far to your side as possible. Let the other side do the same, and create a balance through a 5/4 split of those idologies. Assuming the average justice term is 40 years, that gives the court the opportunity to change it's leanings roughly once every 9 years.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: sdcigarpig

McConnell changed the filibuster requirement for scotus justice confirmation on the heels of Democrats removing the filibuster option for all other court judges.

As I have said before if you are going to take an action that essentially removes the voice of the other party dont be surprised if you find yourself on the other side of that choice down the road.

This applies to both parties and Republicans should remember that.

The court now, and in coming years is almost guaranteed to go pretty far right until 2040 based on the ages of the justices.

I would prefer a centrist court, but what I think may happen in the next 20 years, is that the left at some point gains power, wants to control the court, and increases the number of seats in order to appoint enough justices to shift the balance.

That is something that could be a very real issue in the future.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
We need term limits on SC justices.

Them being able to sit up there for this long has allowed them to screw this country up.

They have way too much power and we need to amend the Constitution to begin limiting it. Allowing certain individuals to wield this much influence for such long duration (decades in many cases) is dangerous.

The entire system needs significant restructuring but term limits on these folks is a good start.

The constitution all ready limits there power. And the reason they chose to set it up the way they did was to prevent people from being able to influence the justices. If they had to be elected or had to be reappointed they have to try to make popular decision's. As it is now they dont have to be concerned in what people think only what they believe to be correct.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
wonder it Thomas will retire before midterms? that could shift the court to 6-3 (rep-dem)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: sdcigarpig

McConnell changed the filibuster requirement for scotus justice confirmation on the heels of Democrats removing the filibuster option for all other court judges.

As I have said before if you are going to take an action that essentially removes the voice of the other party dont be surprised if you find yourself on the other side of that choice down the road.

This applies to both parties and Republicans should remember that.

Personally I understand why the R’s are reticent to remove the filibuster on legislation fearing that when they are out of power the D’s will not need them for anything. However, in this toxic political atmosphere I believe that when the D’s return to power they will remove the filibuster themselves. R’s might as well do it now and make some good legislation while they can.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas
wonder it Thomas will retire before midterms? that could shift the court to 6-3 (rep-dem)
His retirement is scheduled for the end of July

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

I believe that the next time Democrats have power, they're going to add a few justices to "rebalance" the court.

That's not a measure I support, but given the breakdown in political discourse over the past decade or two, one that I firmly believe will happen in the future.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

no thats Kennedy, i had not seen any confirmation of Clarence Tomas being set to retire unless you got a source i hadnt seen yet

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

You’re right, my mistake.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
As it is now they dont have to be concerned in what people think only what they believe to be correct.

That's precisely the problem right there.

What a horrible system.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

LOL ... you think Justice Thomas is liberal/Democrat?

Why on earth would you ...

....ohhhh.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
CNN are suggesting that Roe vs Wade is effectively gone in the next 18 months. A bit dramatic I would say, but then if that is the case then they are conceding that it has only stood because of liberal judges.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

No way....
Cant be....
Really......

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

No, it could make the court a firm 5-4.
Kennedy sided with the 4 liberals on the court a few times - e.g. gay marriage - but also with conservatives - e.g. travel ban recently.
A conservative judge replacement could help undo a lot of damage done by liberals.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Kennedy sided with the 4 liberals on the court a few times - e.g. gay marriage - but also with conservatives - e.g. travel ban recently.
A conservative judge replacement could help undo a lot of damage done by liberals.

Kennedy was conservative in everything except civil rights.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I might have to watch Maddow tonight. The panic is so entertaining.

If you think it's bad now, just imagine if one of the liberal justices retires or dies.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

He sided with liberals 65% of the time from 2009-2017 in rulings that were ideologically aligned.
www.newsmax.com...

Much better to get a proper conservative on the bench, someone who can hopefully help right the ship liberals have been slowly sinking for 50 years.

edit on 27/6/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
I might have to watch Maddow tonight. The panic is so entertaining.

If you think it's bad now, just imagine if one of the liberal justices retires or dies.

It's going to happen. I said back when the election was going on, whoever won would have between 3 and 4 SCOTUS picks in their first term.

On top of that, most of those picks would be replacing the courts left wing, meaning that at most the court could remain centrist but would more likely move further right no matter what.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Source ?

With exact cases.

💥👁💥

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join