It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis compound found to reverse brain aging

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Old mice suddenly had "young" brains after receiving low doses of a THC compound found in marijuana. The discovery has huge potential for people with diseases like Alzheimer's

Learning and memory functions improved dramatically

We had previously observed that the endocannabinoid tone declines as we age, so the levels of endogenous substances decrease in older individuals. And this means they're present inside our bodies to begin with. So what the plant compound does is just mimic our endogenous compounds.
Source
Journal source

Scientists have made a very interesting finding regarding the link between marijuana and brain function. It appears that ingestion of THC rejuvenates cognitive ability lost due to age. THC was administered to old mice who would normally have lowered cognitive ability, which caused the mice to be mentally rejuvenated and able to function on the same level as younger mice who were in their prime.
It's clear to me that we need to be doing more formal studies on the medical benefits of marijuana and its compounds, especially since our bodies possess an endocannabinoid system designed to use compounds just like THC.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
So THAT'S why the wife keeps telling me to grow up.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Wait...
SO it doesn't kill brain cells?
/sarc

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
So THAT'S why the wife keeps telling me to grow up.

There is some truth to this.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

It seems like ever week we here of possible positive medical application for cannabis.

I can just imagine walking into a nursing home seeing elderly patients strung out on cannabis, lol. "Hey man, this is good stuff, lol."

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

It seems like ever week we here of possible positive medical application for cannabis.

I can just imagine walking into a nursing home seeing elderly patients strung out on cannabis, lol. "Hey man, this is good stuff, lol."

I hope that day comes soon.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

That's going to continue as more research is done on cannabis. Now that it's somewhat legal pretty much everywhere the pharmaceutical companies are going to be scrambling to find out what's what with MJ.

Well Cheech and Chong are seniors so....

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It's all in the terpenes, man... they unlock the receptors in the endocannabinoid system and thus cause the THC and CBD to have different benefits/effects.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
No it impairs brain function .
It creates pathways that over time the brain gets use to same dose and mice are not men and weed fanatics .
I know a person who is a heavy user and even just weed along Impairs normal thought prosses to the point this person needs intervention and even then it may be to late he is on the verge of losing every thing .
Not much of a difference from him or a alcoholic .

As for wed not being addictive he has quite over and over and over .
Frankly I say yes it should be legal as a person who wants to be stoned high drunk or what ever will and NO law no prison will change that .

I say prevention and using therapy is the only thing that may reduce this country's drug use .
as for your excuses keep them no ones believes for one mint your not full of it even you .

wile weed may help with some medical things so does asprian and even to much of that will eat holes in your stumic .
No such thing as a totally safe drug .
PS I like quite a few other people are allergic to weed .
Now lets say we focus on the medical benefits possible and stop tring to justify your weed habit .

Once its legal through out the us smoke away . But dont wast peoples time with how its so great that you do .

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Best way to understand the stuff is simply to partake.

As it makes experimentation more fun, makes everything more fun really.

Fact is not supplying our endocannabinoid system with the required sustenance can be detrimental to ones health.

Hell of a lot better for us than Alcohol or Tobacco, that's a given.

edit on 27-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Might even do something as to addressing the smell of the place.

As many of the nursing homes i have had the pleasure of visiting tend to stink of boiled cabbage and urine.

Do them a power of good really, but they might live longer, so i would not get my hopes up.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

Wait...
SO it doesn't kill brain cells?
/sarc

Only in LOW doses you are safe...this doesn't mean you smoke up like Snoop Dogg taking an extreme dose of THC thinking you will be feel really young or smart right afterwards haha

edit on 27-6-2018 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

We don't know what's what with weed yet. Delivery systems. Doses, Etc. We examined it here.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

We don't know what's what with weed yet. Delivery systems. Doses, Etc. We examined it here.

It also likely depends on the type of strain you use as well...many different THC strains with different purposes out there.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Your brain can't wear out if your brain cells are on vacation all the time.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Your brain can't wear out if your brain cells are on vacation all the time.

Well you don't need weed for that. Just look at DC.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Even if that were true. So what?

No such thing as a 100% safe drug. Ok. Again, so?

Since when does everything we do have to be safe?

As an adult I would like to make my own choices

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: midnightstar

Since when does everything we do have to be safe?

As an adult I would like to make my own choices

To determine abuse levels, maybe?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Everything adults choose to do does not need to be safe.
How do you expect to find abuse levels when it is scheduled in a way it cant be studied?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
That's going to continue as more research is done on cannabis. Now that it's somewhat legal pretty much everywhere the pharmaceutical companies are going to be scrambling to find out what's what with MJ.

The ones who should have been doing this for decades and should be way in front of research, will be behind and busy kicking themselves in the head.

This plant has so many benefits, anything oil can do this plant can do.
Most things big pharma does this plant can do.
Uses for building materials, the list goes on and on ...and also the plant can do these things better , AND it is renewable!

Almost seems like it was put here for a reason .....or quite a few reasons.
edit on 27100000006 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join