It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's famed Route 66 put on list of 11 endangered historic places

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

(After I posted this, i wondered if I should have put it in history forum?)

I grew up along this old Route 66, travelled it twice before it got "shut down" and I-40 was built..

My family settled in Flagstaff, Az after my dad retired from the military in 1963.

Route 66 is an endangered thing... sad passage of time. I even stayed in the famous "indian teepee hotel" in Holbrook, Az..Ha!
Nostalgia, and history freak, couldn't help it.

Funny thing about that is no Indian tribe in Az used to use teepee's. It was a hogan, or a wigmam, or a pueblo, but no bloody teepee's.

I was a young lad, but I remember it well, and the very interesting towns it used to go through.

Many of them are pretty much ghost towns nowdays...there is some lovely high desert scenery on that old road..

Every once in a while some car clubs used to drive it in their smicked up 1950's classics... they looked BRAND NEW...

I loved the old 1957 Chevy Nomad station wagons.... you could street rod them up and boy did they look nice!

The National Trust for Historic Preservation, a heritage charity, has placed the famed highway on its 2018 list of the 11 most at-risk sites. The Trust highlights architectural and cultural spots it deems in danger from development or neglect.

Route 66 is up for designation as a national historic trail, which the Trust says would bring “recognition and economic development” to historic sites along the famous road. In order to declare the road a national historic trail, and therefore officially protected, the US Senate would have to pass legislation and Trump would have to sign it.

But time is running out: Trump must sign any bill – something surely everyone could get behind in these divided days – before the end of the year.

There are stretches of the heartland states where miles of Route 66, also known as the Mother Road and the Main Street of America, run uninterrupted across desert and plain in the spirit of progress and the classic road trip. But in other parts of the US it exists in mere fragments, unmarked and unloved, long ago left behind by the march of commerce and air travel.

America's famed Route 66 put on list of 11 endangered historic places

I hope that somehow it can be preserved a bit..stop the loss.. It was the highway used by all the dust bowl evacuees back in the day.

Grapes of Wrath story.. etc, etc...

Pravdaseeker

edit on 26-6-2018 by pravdaseeker because: note to forum staff at beginning..

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Well it goes from St Louis, down to Missouri
Oklahoma city looks oh so pretty
You'll see Amarillo and Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona don't forget Winona
Kingsman, Barstow, San Bernadino

edit on 6/26/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

It's just a bunch of ugly concrete to me. I say tear it all up and plant some trees.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   

a reply to: Phage

After I posted that, I was also thinking about this song....THANK YOU... you were reading my mind and boom it was there.

Now that was a talented man there..... maybe a bit old fashioned here...but I reckon no equal to Ol Nat King Cole has ever yet emerged since he has passed away in early 1965. His song Unforgettable, was well..... unforgettable..Ha!

I give you a star for dat one man..good on ya.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Uh oh.

Don't see my edit.

Wait...

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I was on route 66 today.
It's already extinct.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   

a reply to: scraedtosleep

Ha... The area where I was referring to...was the New Mexico, Az, and into California a ways...

Darn few trees are along that stretch until you get to like Seligman...and by the time you get to Winslow, it is tree scarce.

A huge stretch of it only has a species of shaggy bark cedar trees...

So if you planted trees, they wouldn't grow most likely..

I don't know the state of the old Route where it started at or it's eastern half...

Sorry you feel that way about it, but to each their own I suppose. Thanks for your thoughts anyhow..Ha!

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Bluntone22

I know what you mean...

Even ten years ago, it was "easy to lose it" when you were driving I-40 to Like Las Vegas, NV..

Even then, it would come and go..

There used to be some big places, like tourist trap theme parks.

East of flagstaff, before you got to Winslow there were a few nice stops along the way.
There used to be a great big KOA campground out that way..not too far from Meteor Crater exit.
There was one called "Two Guns", it even a zoo at one time there. Another was called "Twin Arrows".

All are in ruins, or boarded up last I saw..

The article brought back many treasured memories along that road over the years...long ago now.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Trump's old.

Maybe he'll do it.

On the other hand, he likes condemning old properties.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   
It runs through Michigan. A couple miles from me. Historic rt.66 signs and lots and lots of trees

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Did a little of Route 66 seven years ago from LA side and also stayed overnight at an Indian reservation before heading Colorado way and on the back trip groom lake

Think Kingman was the only old Route 66 place we stopped in while riding through

Stunning bike rides but the relentless desert scenery makes one throttle on quickly to next destination

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Doing 80 is better than doing 50?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

When it’s blistering hot in the early evening and you still have a couple of hundred miles to do on straight empty desert roads 80 is still far too slow but cruising enjoying the scenes early in the day is very enjoyable

top topics

join