It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so why hate on Harley? cost too much? they're garbage?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
a reply to: TinySickTears

I do believe that Harley’s are overpriced when new.
I would never buy a new one, there are too many excellent used bikes for sale everywhere.
I have a 2012 Sportster 1200 Custom but the roads here in Michigan are trash. Sporty’s ride rough enough to begin with but couple them with garbage roads and you get beat to death.
There are some roads around here that I just will not ride the Sportster on.
2 weeks ago I just picked up a 2003 Honda Shadow Ace for a good price....nice bike for longer cruises, obviously night and day compared to my Sportster.

i am just outside cleveland and we have the same roads as you so i feel your pain.

i ask you about the price too.. all bikes are too much new or just harley?

did you see the OP and the comparison cause the price point is all pretty close save for the honda.

of course the cvo is gonna cost you 30k or a full dresser is going to set you back.

the mid price point cruisers from all those manufacturers are all comparable

i also agree on the used bike thing

if you have 5-7k to spend you can get yourself a damn nice shovel or evo

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
80 cubes on the yamaha
107 on the harley

and people say over priced and under powered

i dont get it

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: skunkape23
They are obnoxiously loud would be my first complaint.
Aside from being overpriced.
I don't enjoy my dog raising hell when the neighbor pulls up on his hawg at 3 in the morning.
I found myself caught in the middle of a ROT rally in Austin and almost had a 'Rain Man' freak out.
Deafening racket and thick exhaust fumes and old people with a trashy fashion sense.
Count me out.

Loud bikes attract more attention, attention of course being the main attraction to buying a harley in the first place.

Not to be pedantic, but you can also hear them. That can be a life saver for the guy on the bike because "motorists" are not all that attentive and often fail to look for bikes on the road. I've had six bikes, none of them loud, and to say you have to be a defensive driver is an understatement.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
140 cubes on the Triumph Rocket. Get areal bike 2300 cc

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Not to be pedantic, but you can also hear them.

what do you think about full face helmets?

i ask because i am not a fan of them.
i feel like it drastically reduces vision and i dont understand why people wear them.

my buddy at work has some 600cc type of deal and even in the summer he wears a leather. big ass gloves and a full face helmet with the shield.
i wear a helmet too. the smallest allowed by DOT but i can not wear the full face helmet.

what about you?

i will also say that i never wore a helmet up until i got the 2015. my wife was up my ass about it so i caved in and got one of these.
www.bikerhelmets.com...

major difference in how i felt. i was so much more relaxed on the bike. i had never even realized i had a little tension about my noodle but i did.

sucks people buy those helmets because of sons of anarchy so i kind of feel like a dick but in the end those helmets are legit man. that is the only kind i will wear.

i had a half shell someone gave me and that thing is massive compared to the one above. much heavier too

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: majik
140 cubes on the Triumph Rocket. Get areal bike 2300 cc

thats a big boy
i remember when the honda valkrye same out. 6 cylinder. massive too

i a very particular about how my bike is though
must be v twin
must have small, 6" or so sissy bar
no running boards
must not have saddle bags
must not have any bags on the bars or forks
absolutely no windshield
must not be shaft drive(that was not always the case)

all that is non negotiable

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I think Harley makes a good bike. For the size they are competitive. I would own one if I could still ride a bike, I like the sound of their engines and the vibration they give off when you ride them.

Damn, I wish I could still ride, I would borrow my brothers and cruise around for a couple of days. I haven't heard him talk about it this year, I wonder if he sold it.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: schuyler

Not to be pedantic, but you can also hear them.

what do you think about full face helmets?

i ask because i am not a fan of them.
i feel like it drastically reduces vision and i dont understand why people wear them.

my buddy at work has some 600cc type of deal and even in the summer he wears a leather. big ass gloves and a full face helmet with the shield.
i wear a helmet too. the smallest allowed by DOT but i can not wear the full face helmet.

what about you?

i will also say that i never wore a helmet up until i got the 2015. my wife was up my ass about it so i caved in and got one of these.
www.bikerhelmets.com...

major difference in how i felt. i was so much more relaxed on the bike. i had never even realized i had a little tension about my noodle but i did.

sucks people buy those helmets because of sons of anarchy so i kind of feel like a dick but in the end those helmets are legit man. that is the only kind i will wear.

i had a half shell someone gave me and that thing is massive compared to the one above. much heavier too

I can’t stand full face on a street bike too heavy and I prefer having more situational awareness, I do wear a full face riding dirt bikes real hard but half the reason is stuff getting thrown in my face.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Anyone else despise the reverse trikes that have become popular in the last 10 years or so, talk about a yuppie ride!
edit on 6/26/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR
Anyone else despis the reverse trikes that have become popular in the last 10 years or so, talk about a yuppie ride!

yes
is it the spyder?

i dont know the name of them but i hate them

yeah not into it

www.motorcyclistonline.com...

30 grand
gtfo
edit on 26-6-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Anyone else despis the reverse trikes that have become popular in the last 10 years or so, talk about a yuppie ride!

yes
is it the spyder?

Yeah that’s one they’re a couple others from other manufacturers I think Kawai has one. I really hate them with a passion I don’t understand the appeal I’m not a fan of nearly any trike but the reverse ones irk the hell out of me. If you want something small and car like just get an Ariel more performance more fun and you won’t look like a total arse clown.
ETA: Cripes all mighty that’s nutty pricing my hate just went up a few notches.

The T-Rex (I think that’s the name) that was actually a pretty tear your face off fast reverse trikes were meh and they had a much more appealing style.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

im with you
i hate them

i dont get the appeal either

this is the one i was thinking of though

the polaris slingshot

hate it hate it hate it hate it

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

yes
is it the spyder?

yeah not into it

30 grand
gtfo
I own one of those too

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

a reply to: TinySickTears

I do believe that Harley’s are overpriced when new.
I would never buy a new one, there are too many excellent used bikes for sale everywhere.
I have a 2012 Sportster 1200 Custom but the roads here in Michigan are trash. Sporty’s ride rough enough to begin with but couple them with garbage roads and you get beat to death.
There are some roads around here that I just will not ride the Sportster on.
2 weeks ago I just picked up a 2003 Honda Shadow Ace for a good price....nice bike for longer cruises, obviously night and day compared to my Sportster.

i am just outside cleveland and we have the same roads as you so i feel your pain.

i ask you about the price too.. all bikes are too much new or just harley?

did you see the OP and the comparison cause the price point is all pretty close save for the honda.

of course the cvo is gonna cost you 30k or a full dresser is going to set you back.

the mid price point cruisers from all those manufacturers are all comparable

i also agree on the used bike thing

if you have 5-7k to spend you can get yourself a damn nice shovel or evo

I see your comparison links but I have never looked at anything new other than Harley.
I guess maybe anything new could be bordering on overpriced as far as I am concerned.
I just can’t see putting $2000-3000 down on a new bike to pay $200-250/month that we can only ride for maybe 6-7 months out of the year here in the north.
It’s almost the same as owning a boat here in Michigan....but owning a boat is definitely worse though.
Before I bought the Honda, I took a ride with my father in law about 75 miles south of us to this dealer -

monroe-motorsports.com...

They had a ton of used bikes in a decent price range but I ended up going through a private owner.
I almost bought this one there -
monroe-motorsports.com...

But i ended up getting a 2 year newer Shadow ACE with only 5500 miles on it for less than half the price.
It will need new rubber after this season but I still got a better deal.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I see your comparison links but I have never looked at anything new other than Harley.
I guess maybe anything new could be bordering on overpriced as far as I am concerned.

i see where you are at but do you see my end?

people say they are overpriced. they. not all new bikes
if they are real close to the price to all the other comparable bikes then they are not overpriced

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: majik

yes
is it the spyder?

yeah not into it

30 grand
gtfo
I own one of those too

do you like it?
what attracted you to it?
would you buy another?

ive never even checked it out. cant get past my hate

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

im with you
i hate them

i dont get the appeal either

this is the one i was thinking of though

the polaris slingshot

hate it hate it hate it hate it

Yeah that thing is utterly hideous!!!!

I think the kawai is called the X-bow or something along those lines.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

yeah its lame

have to sit in it like a car and use a wheel like a car but have to have a motorcycle license to operate and wear a helmet in those states

whats wrong with a drop top then?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

i see where you are at but do you see my end?

people say they are overpriced. they. not all new bikes
if they are real close to the price to all the other comparable bikes then they are not overpriced

I got you.
Yeah you are right.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

yeah its lame

have to sit in it like a car and use a wheel like a car but have to have a motorcycle license to operate and wear a helmet in those states

whats wrong with a drop top then?

Like I said before if you want a roadster by an Ariel Atom those are pretty kickarse.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join