It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump threatens Harley-Davidson with taxes ‘like never before’ and eventual collapse

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

There is no Victory any more, they lost the war to Harley Davidson and started shutting down last year.

Too bad I think they had better bikes then HD...Maybe time to breath new life into them...

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

When they import their bikes again, there will be import duties. That is the taxes that he seems to be referring to.

They are not going to import those bikes back to the US. It is clearly a threat from our childish president that if HD moves some mfg. overseas he will personally tax them like never before.

It's OK all his crap is made overseas though right? Your'e good with right?

Im happy to admit my ignorance here...can you provide me some examples of how a president, acting alone, created taxes for a single company within a larger industry?

Because I honestly do not think its ever happened, nor do I think it would be possible. And if Trump tried, Congress could do what it did right after he was elected and pass a law forbiding him from doing what they don't want him to do (the "Russia" thing, back when Russian hysteria was sweeping the nation).

This invitation goes for anyone. I need to understand the basis of this claim that Trump is threatening to personally tax Harley Davidson because he doesn't like what they are doing.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

Anyhow, the overriding idea in the Op has a very valid - neutral - point: Is it 'ok' for the leader of a country, to try to strong arm a private company ?

I don't think it is right for our president, the president of the USA to do this. He is childish and impulsive. Whats next, If purse makers make purses cheaper than Ivankas, I'll tax the heck out of them?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: eNumbra
Harleys are overpriced, image-centric bikes anyway.

At this point nothing surprises me and I don’t care.

HD has always been a poor run, poor performing company. Even with great sales they still suck. They have a long history of pushing tariffs and filing Chapter 13, so this is basically normal for them.

Hmmmm, this reminds me of someone else's companies. Now who could that be, hmmmm, I can't quite remember his name.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Kharron

There is no Victory any more, they lost the war to Harley Davidson and started shutting down last year.

Too bad I think they had better bikes then HD...Maybe time to breath new life into them...

Yeah and they were all American made, for real. All Minnesota and Wisconsin.

But I just did some research in the Indian as I don't know them well. Both Indian and Victory are owned by the same company -- Polaris, the ones that make jet skis and snowmobiles. So they shut down Victory last year and they are keeping warranty on products for 10 years.

Indian is still running. Polaris itself isn't doing too bad, they started the year at $135 and now they're at $122, but they go through a lot of ups and downs it looks like. We'll see how this affects them, I haven't found any public statements from them.

Take care.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

They are not going to import those bikes back to the US. It is clearly a threat from our childish president that if HD moves some mfg. overseas he will personally tax them like never before. It's OK all his crap is made overseas though right? Your'e good with right? Im happy to admit my ignorance here...can you provide me some examples of how a president, acting alone, created taxes for a single company within a larger industry? Because I honestly do not think its ever happened, nor do I think it would be possible. And if Trump tried, Congress could do what it did right after he was elected and pass a law forbiding him from doing what they don't want him to do (the "Russia" thing, back when Russian hysteria was sweeping the nation). This invitation goes for anyone. I need to understand the basis of this claim that Trump is threatening to personally tax Harley Davidson because he doesn't like what they are doing.

It was in his tweet.

So sure he can't do it, but he is to dumb to know he can't do it. He thinks he is an f'n king.....

If you don't read that tweet and think that he thinks he can tax HD like they have never been taxed before you my good sir somehow disillusioned.

Those are his exact words yes? He said it and thats what he meant. Maybe it was another joke? You can't fix this by saying he meant if the bike were mfg in another country and then imported back into the USA.... you can't. did he say that? I did not see that part.

If I tweeted " I am going to kill somebody" can somebody respond by saying he only means if they break into his house? Same thing..

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Im happy to admit my ignorance here...can you provide me some examples of how a president, acting alone, created taxes for a single company within a larger industry?

His words not mine... He is the President of the United States. Does his word not have merit now? Can we not take him for his word?

Seriously? Can we not take the President of the United States at his word? That is a one answer question

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Khaleesi

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I think you'd really have to squint at his Tweet not to see what he said as a threat.

People interpret things differently. Some will see it as a threat. Some will see it as a prediction. As Burdman pointed out, if they import to the US from somewhere else, the tariffs will eat them alive. That's just reality. If you look at it from that perspective, it's a prediction.

I absolutely agree that people see things differently.

None of us here are mind readers, so we can only interpret based on our understanding i.e. our opinion.

Stating that another's opinion is wrong is more convincing with evidence, not mere repetition, don't you think?

I am not stating that anyone's opinion is wrong. At least that is not my intention. Perception is reality. My perception is that this is a prediction, so for me that is the reality. Your perception may be different, so that is your reality. Neither is wrong. It's all a matter of perception, which in turn is influenced by our own separate life experiences. I can see why some would see this as a threat. I just see it differently.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
He used his position as President of the United States of America.... The once most powerful man on the planet to ridicule a locally owned restaurant by lying about them publicly...

If that does not say it all about his character you guys are fools

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Where is the 'threatens' part? Still cannot find that.

HD has been on the decline for about 15 years. They got to0 big and could not scale back properly. Then they started to find that 6 in 10 people who bought a Harley were NOT in the US about 10 years ago. 2 of 3 new shops are in 'emerging markets' and those markets are overseas. This is a business who has been going this direction for over a decade.

Moving will in the end probably kill them if the shift more production overseas and out of the US.

Amazing how Trump has so much influence but gets nothing done.

edit on Junpm30pmf0000002018-06-26T17:06:46-05:000546 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

Hmmmm, this reminds me of someone else's companies. Now who could that be, hmmmm, I can't quite remember his name.

Can't be Obama his private sector experience was ice cream scooper...

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

A threat? lol. Oh you never Trumpers.

Trump - If you enter that den of lions you will be killed.

Never Trumper - Did you just hear Trump threaten me?!

So disingenuous that you guys have turned into entertainment.
Oh well. #Trump2020

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

His words not mine... He is the President of the United States. Does his word not have merit now? Can we not take him for his word?

Seriously? Can we not take the President of the United States at his word? That is a one answer question

His words, your complete lack of comprehension or ability to interpret them within a context that isn't completely absurd. Yes.

So I'll ask again...can you point to a single incident as a basis for your hyperbolic misunderstanding of what our President is saying? Or are you going to tapdance around the fact that you COULD have, and likely did, completely not understand what he said (either on purpose or on accident)?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Sure why not? What words are you referring to? Hope it isn't something like "you can keep your doctor"....

edit on 26-6-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero
That's one helluva word salad
just to include the word 'Obama'

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

If I tweeted " I am going to kill somebody" can somebody respond by saying he only means if they break into his house? Same thing..

That is called "hyperbole" and isn't going to get you jailed for terroristic threat. I could pull out guidelines provided by the State of Texas if I can find the License To Carry instructors guidelines. Long story short: someone calls me and says they are going to kill me. I see them later in the day walking towards my house and I shoot them, claiming fear for my life. I am accountable for murder, as simply stating "im going to kill (insert name)" is not a credible threat due to its common use in casual hyperbole. And were the person questioned about his comment, he could reasonably say, "It was a joke, i didn't mean it seriously...haven't you ever said that to someone in jest?".

So no, your example doesn't really do much to support your case. At all.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cassi3l
That's one helluva word salad
just to include the word 'Obama'

Actually I thought it was funny as hell as Okrian suggested Trump and I was just doing a side comparison of Trump's suggested poor businesses in the private sector to the successful private sector ice cream scooper...

edit on 26-6-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Let it play through ->Bonnie & Clyde follows on

edit on 26-6-2018 by Cassi3l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Ats, emoticons, new, needs

edit on 26-6-2018 by Cassi3l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Whataboutit

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join