It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump threatens Harley-Davidson with taxes ‘like never before’ and eventual collapse

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Is this legal? Is this constitutional? For a president to make a threat like this to an American business?

I hope not. Otherwise this is not the free country that I thought it was.

Actually I'm pretty sure it is legal and constitutional. The president has the right to set tariffs.

I find this pretty funny - so when Canada charges 270% tariff on US Dairy that is perfectly fine. When china puts 25 -30% tariffs on US cars that is fine and Trump is crazy to retaliate. But if Trump decides to put tariffs on motorcycles than he is the devil.

So in other words every other country gets to use tariffs how they choose, but trump is an anti-american dictator if he decides to do the same thing. Do you guys even try and use logic - No it seems it's just if Trump wants to do it, it must be evil.

No actually it is the opposite - he is looking out for American workers and telling Harley he will not allow them to economically benefit by moving. We get to do that being the largest economic force in the world - and Harley's main customer base - to not take advantage of that is doing a bad job of management.

Watch - I predict they will cancel the move, Trump knows he has the upper hand, that is why he is making these statements.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I think you'd really have to squint at his Tweet not to see what he said as a threat.

People interpret things differently. Some will see it as a threat. Some will see it as a prediction. As Burdman pointed out, if they import to the US from somewhere else, the tariffs will eat them alive. That's just reality. If you look at it from that perspective, it's a prediction.

I absolutely agree that people see things differently.

None of us here are mind readers, so we can only interpret based on our understanding i.e. our opinion.

Stating that another's opinion is wrong is more convincing with evidence, not mere repetition, don't you think?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That wasn't a threat, nor was it a whine.

No no, I'm pretty sure it was.

Let me ask again. Why did he feel the need to make a threat and whine if Harley is set to lose out badly and publicly from this move as you claim? Doesn't seem logical you'd need to get all uptight does it? Which is exactly what the Don is doing.... as with many of his tweets.

Regardless of threat or whine, perhaps the President wants to guarantee the continuance of what is, after all, an American icon? Just saying.

edit on 26-6-2018 by Jonjonj because: spells

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
www.popularmechanics.com...

America's best-known motorcycle brand is having trouble at home. Harley-Davidson's U.S. sales are down to the lowest levels in years, and the company's stock has fallen about 13 percent so far in 2018. The Milwaukee-based bike builder is shuttering a factory in Kansas City as forecasts for 2018 predict continued declines. International sales have fared better, but possible steel and aluminum tariffs threaten to rock the manufacturer overseas.

The underlying problem that has plagued Harley for years is the slow demise of its core rider group—the bandana-clad riders rolling through curvy backwood highways, traveling in packs from bar to bar across America. They're getting older, and younger riders are opting for snappier, sportier, and cheaper bikes. Harley is hoping to right the ship with some help from its recently-announced electric motorcycle, the production bike that will result from the LiveWire prototype unveiled in 2014. But it remains to be seen if the sporty electric two-wheeler will have broader appeal.

And there is another threat to Harley's throne. Indian Motorcycle's ability to rival the name Harley-Davidson in classic American motorcycle lore—combined with the versatility and experience of its parent company, Polaris Industries, in building machines for many different types of riders—presents perhaps the biggest challenge to Harley's reign in decades. The race for America's biker soul is revving up.

The only "threat" is to HD from Indian and the only whining will be from Harley-Davidson as they find their asses soundly kicked in one of the few American industries where that Made in the USA logo is vitally important and image is everything.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

Trump has a lot of gall whining about Harley when his and Ivanka products are still made in Asia.

www.thedailybeast.com...
crooksandliars.com...

www.politifact.com...
edit on 26-6-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

he's not wrong... their customer base will go from weak to non existent in this country.

If he's not wrong about Harley's business decision then why does he feel the need to make a threat and whine?

Trumps not whining. As for the supposed threat? That's not a threat, its a promise

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I think you'd really have to squint at his Tweet not to see what he said as a threat.

See, i think you have to mischaracterize what he is saying to see a threat.

When they import their bikes again, there will be import duties. That is the taxes that he seems to be referring to.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Bullish on Polaris!

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I think it's a whine but not a threat.

Trump was obviously triggered.

"A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country, EVER!" is not a whine, it's a statement of emotional fact for any American who grew up in, around, or enamored by the American motorcycle culture. It's an icon. Making them in some oriental sweatshop in Taipai would be the equivalent of Hulk Hogan wearing a Canadian flag to the wrestling ring or Ted Nugent singing a duet with the Ayatollah... it's simply wrong.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

he's not wrong... their customer base will go from weak to non existent in this country.

If he's not wrong about Harley's business decision then why does he feel the need to make a threat and whine?

That wasn't a threat, nor was it a whine. Try again.

It was a threat and a whine, he spends all his time moaning on twitter and his boot boys lap it up

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Bullish on Polaris!

They make quality snow machines, so their cycles are, I'm sure, equally quality.

link   

Because he's been so close to mob activity during his adult life he is accustomed to extortion as a business model?

link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

That wasn't a threat, nor was it a whine.

We can do this all day. I'm feeling spry and my stamina is impeccable.

link   

They have been making hogs in other countries for a long time, plenty of American companies do the same with their product lines

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

The title made it sound like trump was going to levy extra special taxes on harley and only harley.

That would not be constitutional.

Thankfully that is not even close to what was being said in the tweet.

Trump was just being triggered and whining , that's all.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Times they are a'changin'. And those who don't change the right way may find themselves broke and on the outside looking in. Welcome to the new reality.

link   

If you can do this all day long you are an internet addict

link   

Harley-Davidson is a company and it's owners can do whatever they like with it.

At least in a free country they can.

link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

See, i think you have to mischaracterize what he is saying to see a threat.

When they import their bikes again, there will be import duties. That is the taxes that he seems to be referring to.

By damn ... I think you're right! I'm jealous that you learned to interpret Trumpanese before I did.

Sheesh.

link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Times they are a'changin'. And those who don't change the right way may find themselves broke and on the outside looking in. Welcome to the new reality.

New reality from a reality star President, leave you too it now

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join