It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

300 billion repatriated to the US in Q1 - The money is coming back

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It is coming ''back' because it has been held somewhere else....

This is a good article for you...

Link

In its annual report on trends in foreign direct investment (FDI) - a measure of cross-border private sector investments - UNCTAD warned that the US tax reform package would have "significant implications for global FDI patterns over the coming years." The tax overhaul "will affect the multinationals and their affiliates," James Zhan, who heads UNCTAD's investment and enterprise division, told reporters in Geneva. He said the affected multinationals account for nearly half of some of the US$26 trillion in current FDI stock, which measures the total level of global direct investments at a given point. "The reform (could) lead to the repatriation of almost US$2 trillion of returned earnings," Zhan said, referring to the amount of easily-repatriated FDI cash US multinationals are estimated to be holding abroad. The new tax bill, which slashes the corporate tax rate to 21 per cent from 35 per cent previously, could entice some businesses to return with the promise of higher profits.

This is just Q1 of this year.
edit on Junpm30pmf0000002018-06-26T19:14:12-05:000712 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

It is coming ''back' because it has been held somewhere else....

"Back", in quotation marks. Yes. It never was in the US.

But I see the term has a specific meaning when applied to currency.

Repatriation, in financial terms, is the process of converting a foreign currency into the currency of one's own country. The dollar amount resulting from the repatriation of funds depends on the exchange rate between the two currencies at the settlement time of the conversion.
www.investopedia.com...

So, those funds which were held in other currencies are being converted to dollars. Makes sense. Except for the "back" part. The cash is being brought to the US. Not back to the US.

Interesting though, with the dollar dropping and leveling off in Q1. I wonder if there's a relationship. Or maybe they should have waited for the Fed to raise rates.

edit on 6/26/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

To be clear: the issue isn't your doctor sending home money to India to help pay the bills for mom. That is an exporting of funds that, generally speaking, is healthy for the US dollar.

This has everything to do with the morose policy of taxing earnings in foreign markets? If that is the case, that is a fantastic change in taxing policy (that, incidentally, will likely be a boon to Trump as well). There is no value with US dollars being used to fill off shore accounts.

Well...there used to be. They could be spent, because everywhere had to honor the world reserve currency, the Petrodollar. Which is the exact same thing as the $US. It was actually wise to keep it offshore, both for tax reasons, and because oil had to be purchased in them.

That is no longer the case. It is a very smart move though, to welcome that money back home by using pure numbers and logic, now that we no longer have the advantage. People are caught up in the politics. But, the real game is in trade and economics. But...I heard someone got tossed out a restaurant the other day...so there's that...

ETA: I am not sure I made clear, that I am agreeing with you completely.
edit on 26-6-2018 by Enderdog because: To embed secret code phrases

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

I'll ask the same about cutting their taxes. How does that benefit you or me when they are known to hoard any extra money they have in offshore bank accounts? Those taxes they're not paying are simply going straight into a bank account, not back into the economy.

Who are the ones who pay our politicians to say one thing and do another? Corporations and their PAC's, yet here Trump is rewarding them for decades of corruption and bribery by giving them PERMANENT tax breaks. Crazy to think that will benefit anyone other than the super rich, they've shown time and again that they're greedy pieces of #.

You don't think Trump is beholden to big business and the bankers? If so I'd say you're blind. You don't get to where Trump is without being in debt to someone. He is simply paying his dues to those in power, playing his part.
edit on 6/26/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/26/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Democrats were screaming their heads off about the money being somewhere else.

Now they scream when it comes back.

Vote 2018 for "stable minds".

😎

Another $4 Trillion will be returning to the U.S. over the next 3 years. It's more advantageous to stagger it, for some tax and bank-related reasons.

Imagine how fast it will leave though, if Democrats take the majority again! "Hear that sucking sound Myrtle?"

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Another $4 Trillion will be returning to the U.S. over the next 3 years.

How can it return if it was never here?

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Where is the money going? I think the GOP Congress error-ed badly by not making infrastructure a tax free haven. If the money was going towards rebuilding highways, building new airports and other infrastructure projects , two intentional pay offs may have become possible. Firstly, an increase in the private sectors role in building and running commercially viable infrastructure projects . Secondly, the federal government focus on projects that the private will never undertake, but are till of value to the nation. Fiber broadband networks fit into this category nicely.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

Fiber broadband networks fit into this category nicely.

Actually, dumping net neutrality could be seen as an encouragement to do that.
At a price.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Victory ya think?

from same link

Now, the last time repatriation funds saw a notable spike was in 2005, following passage the year before of the American Jobs Creation Act, which offered a tax holiday, among other tax benefits, under President George W. Bush. Yet, Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, tells FOX Business, at that time the benefit to the economy was minimal and will likely be the same this time around. “The repatriated cash will go to more stock repurchases, dividend increases, and paying for mergers and acquisitions. All of this has no significant impact on the economy” he said.

trickle down economics is a b#tch

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

To steal a turn of phrase from BHO: "At least trickle down is a form of economics." The economic principles of the left are nothing but voodoo that doesn't do anything positive and in fact, only has negative effects.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The Fed has raised rates for the 7th time in 3 years. That means the dollar will be getting stronger and as less people will be eligible for the easy money lending policy that should create a buying opportunity of assets in the US for those with capital funds and positive debt to income ratio's.

It's not rocket science.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Lol, tell that to the national debt. Why must right wingers lie every time they communicate? a reply to: matafuchs

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

Your error is that you think lies are exclusive to anyone. 60% of people lie in a simple 10 minute conversation.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It is f'n amazing that 300 billion dollars comes back into the country and people complain. Our country is still reeling from the ARRA that was passed in 2009 to counter a recession. Spending to save a country. All spending and then investments like Solyndra.

It is working, will continue to work and you can just all keep on hating...could give a fart less.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join