It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people mad that you have to work for Food Stamps / WIC?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

No job=no car
but they find transportation for food right?

If there is a will there's a way.

Maybe no college or skills, but you sure aren't going to learn anything new by not working!

Yes I agree most jobs are soul crushing, but it's called being an adult and doing what it takes to survive. It's called work, not fun for a reason.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Well, I agree with your sentiment, but...........in many parts of the country, employers would have to be paying fast food workers $30.00 an hour just to be able to afford an apartment with 4 room mates.

From where I sit..........there are no solutions. Just more torture.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: projectvxn
as far as I know, and I could be wrong...
wic is more like coupons for free food, you get coupons for low fat milk, cheese- not the processed imitation, real cheese, healthy cereal, real juice, ect... not sure but you might even get some for fresh fruits and vegatables.
oh.... and baby formula...

That's the idea.

It's an excellent program. Not sure why it was lumped in with SNAP and other benefits that are more open to waste and abuse.

The actual article is about SNAP, not WIC.

link   
Wic is a great program that is for only food but it does have its problems.
You can get a coupon for a free gallon of milk but you can't get 2 half gallons for a cheaper price.

Also I've seen a couple with several kids buying groceries with their coupons and having a separate transaction for their beer and smokes.

link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

If there is a will there's a way.

And that may be the crux of the problem. No "will" to work.

But, by the same token, we're seeing multiple dozens of Cab drivers in NYC committing suicide because they're being undercut by Uber and Lyft. That tells me that in the US at least there's a growing "will" and "hope" deficit.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

You know, my opinion is in no small part a product of things I've seen myself over the last six decades.

Once in about 1987 I think, I was recently divorced and living in a cheap apartment with a friend to save money. We had a lady and I use that term loosely, who lived next door and was always borrowing things. We find out in she has herself and 8 children living in a one bedroom apartment and when I go to get a pan back, her living room has a half dozen mattresses standing against the wall.

She stops in one day and without any preparation says, "I need one of you to get me pregnant. My youngest is getting too old and I'm going to lose my welfare and have to get a job."

We get to talking and she explains that if she has a child under a certain age, she gets full welfare for all her kids and I find out they give her nearly twice what I'm earning working 60 hours a week. She was getting a mountain of food stamps and all kinds of other benefits. I find out she is not alone, that it's a common practice because of the way the welfare system was set up in that state. We of course both told her no way, but I got an education.

The next week a pastor from a nearby church drops by and asks us if either of us is willing to marry a woman from another country so they can get their green card. I find out I'm surrounding by people scamming the system and my friend and I are the only people working, other than the couple who owned the corner store. The entire neighborhood is just sitting around drinking cheap beer and vodka for a living. The Food Stamps were just like cash in most of the local stores. They did not give a crap, as long as they got their pay.

No, it's probably not a majority, but it's enough people I'd be all for working for handouts. Working people have babies to care for but somehow manage just fine. Working people raise entire families, buy houses and help pay the taxes that support those who don't work. They don't use that as an excuse to give up.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Wic is a great program that is for only food but it does have its problems.
You can get a coupon for a free gallon of milk but you can't get 2 half gallons for a cheaper price.

Also I've seen a couple with several kids buying groceries with their coupons and having a separate transaction for their beer and smokes.

And isn't that the weirdest thing? I see it damned near every day............they always, somehow or another, have the $10.00 to buy a pack of cigs. Weird #hit that!

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

it seems that our economy has gotten so bad, and our gov't so off the walls, that our people welfare is now part of the corporate welfare scheme...

first the single mother of young children already has a job that they are doing... caring for their child, who they cannot leave alone while they go off to a work! so they have to hire someone to watch that child, often times in a child care setting. often times that child care setting cost more than the person can make or very close to it.

then it pushes a low wage working into the workforce. she doesn't have to worry about the fact that the pay she will be getting won't even cover the expense of her working, like those other employees in the workforce who may need the job just as badly, but just don't have the gov't subsidizing them...so they need to earn more. and, to top it off, I don't know if they still do this, but they used to have programs where they would reimburse the company a portion of the wage that they pay the worker as an incentive to hire them.

and... that single mother, who would have been happier and not as stressed out is now costing the taxpayers a whole lot more while having a negative effect on some family somewhere who is struggling just to keep off the welfare roles and may just find themselves on those welfare roles because.... the women had to care about how much she was making and there was no sense to take the job if it was a net loss after child care and other expenses.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

"Why are people mad that you have to work for Food Stamps / WIC?"

Start paying your CEO, Politicians, Police, and Firemen in Food Stamps as see how they like them apples. LoL

Money talks, the rest just do the walk.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Blaine91555

I think your a little too trusting or you have never actually been around the inner city culture to know how bad the abuse is?

I worked in a Welfare office in Sparks, NV.

I was an armed guard at the downtown bus station.

I was homeless in LA and in LV when I was a child.

I have the experience.

Then you know that there is a very significant amount of abuse going on, because people don't hide it.

I'm from poverty, the working poor. Farmers, ranchers and construction workers. I was taught from the start to be self sufficient and how to work for what I wanted. Of course there was no welfare like now, no handouts, only get up and go to work to get through today.

We actually had a welfare farm nearby that gave people all the food they needed in exchange for labor on the farm. The whole thing was self sustaining because those in need of the help, did the work. It really does work and the bonus is that they are not handouts. You earn it. A local church helped people pay their bills in exchange for work also. It was a much better world IMO.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If you force them to work, you will need to pay minimum wage.

better to require volunteering 20 hrs a week

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Hmmm... why aren't we seeing anyone railing against the child care providers for charging so much to watch other peoples' kids?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I have a good friend that is a teacher in the edges of a rough city. She told me of a very promising athlete. This child could have been olympic material. Her mom and grandmother expected her to get pregnant at 16 to help get public assistance. All the girls in this family were expected to have a baby at 16, and keep on having babies. All this tells me is that people are getting rewarded for irresponsible behavior. One or two kids, ok, but when you have baby making factories for the sole purpose of getting assistance, then there is a problem.

It would be interesting to see the statistics on how many public assistance people eventually got off the program and for how long, how many had more kids etc. I think it would be very telling.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

You know, my opinion is in no small part a product of things I've seen myself over the last six decades.

Once in about 1987 I think, I was recently divorced and living in a cheap apartment with a friend to save money. We had a lady and I use that term loosely, who lived next door and was always borrowing things. We find out in she has herself and 8 children living in a one bedroom apartment and when I go to get a pan back, her living room has a half dozen mattresses standing against the wall.

She stops in one day and without any preparation says, "I need one of you to get me pregnant. My youngest is getting too old and I'm going to lose my welfare and have to get a job."

We get to talking and she explains that if she has a child under a certain age, she gets full welfare for all her kids and I find out they give her nearly twice what I'm earning working 60 hours a week. She was getting a mountain of food stamps and all kinds of other benefits. I find out she is not alone, that it's a common practice because of the way the welfare system was set up in that state. We of course both told her no way, but I got an education.

The next week a pastor from a nearby church drops by and asks us if either of us is willing to marry a woman from another country so they can get their green card. I find out I'm surrounding by people scamming the system and my friend and I are the only people working, other than the couple who owned the corner store. The entire neighborhood is just sitting around drinking cheap beer and vodka for a living. The Food Stamps were just like cash in most of the local stores. They did not give a crap, as long as they got their pay.

No, it's probably not a majority, but it's enough people I'd be all for working for handouts. Working people have babies to care for but somehow manage just fine. Working people raise entire families, buy houses and help pay the taxes that support those who don't work. They don't use that as an excuse to give up.

People really don't understand how devious people can be when it comes to money and getting over on the system...

I've seen:

1) fake marriages for citizenship
2) food stamps being traded for cash to buy drugs
3) people having children and claiming other children to get increased benefits.
4) people claiming disabilities to get a check
5) unions boosting salaries right before retirement to ensure larger pension checks and fake jobs to ensure years of service
6) etc...

Fraud is rampant. It wouldn't surprise me if 25% or more of our governments expenditures are related to fraud.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I'm a man that has been homeless for 10 years. I have no skills, I have no work history, and I only have a high school education. I am also weak physically because of illness. I don't have the internet because I can't afford it.

Will you hire me?

I understand that the type of person I just described is rare but they are out there.

So while I see no issue with those that want foodstamps and are able to find a job and work it to do just that.
Some exceptions need to be made for those that can't.

I believe the original reason for foodstamps and welfare was to help those that CAN"T work not those who wont.
The ones that can't work are the ones we should be helping the most.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Why is humanity the only species on Earth which bends over backwards to shelter and protect our weakest links, the anchors around our necks, while the rest of the animal kingdom acknowledges the laws of nature and embraces survival of the fittest? Ask yourself that.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

In the rest of the animal kingdom power is a hell of a lot more evenly distributed than it is in our civilization, with ants, termites and such obviously being the exception.

We don't work for ourselves, we work for rich privileged twats that pay peanuts by comparison to whats in their own larder.

It's not so much about survival anymore as it is about a subservient existence.

Fact of the matter is that 99% of our race equates to nothing more than indentured servitude.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

living cheaply out in the woods
a reply to: Edumakated

That my retirement plan!... IRA's are for suckers... that what i tell my self anyway

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

love.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

thinkprogress.org...

"Those who aren’t working would be required to take a minimum of 20 hours a week of new job training classes, requirements that would increase to 25 hours in 2026."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join