It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people mad that you have to work for Food Stamps / WIC?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com... 439443

Somebody please explain to me why this is a bad thing. If you are an able bodied adult, why can't you work? A 20 hour work week is nothing. My son works 14-15 hours some work day and you are telling me a person can't work that in a week? A week!
Where I live there are help wanted signs everywhere, seriously, you could be blindfolded and throw a dart and hit a place that is hiring.

I've had friends post on FB and other sites that they are angry that one must work to stay on these programs.

I'm not against the downtrodden, and I know there are people that have just had bad luck and are in a bad place. I don't think providing and endless supply of food for an endless period will help anything (we aren't talking disabled etc.)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Does that mean "work" 20 hours a week, or 80 hours a month, for $200 in groceries?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I work full time and I have buyers remorse if I pay over $50s on groceries. So yea if they can work they should to get benefits

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

We provide an endless supply of corporate welfare without any stipulations. Why not poor people too?

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I have neve understood this either.

Nothing should be for free unless you are disabled mentally or physically. It isn’t fair to tax payers thwt some people get a free ride with no consequences or responsibility.

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
WIC is exactly the kind of welfare I'm all for because it goes directly to feeding kids and expectant mothers in need.

WIC isn't EBT or cash assistance, it's real help.

I highly recommend learning more about the WIC program before you start chastising those who benefit from it as lazy people who don't work...Because that's not how it works.

Never thought I'd see someone crapping on WIC.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

$200 in groceries

yeah...for $200 PER WEEK in groceries AKA about $800 per month or around $10/hr.

and why not? odds are really high that if you on SNAP your also on section 8 for rent and medicaid for health insurance. i work my butt off for everything i have (groceries, rent and insurance are by far by biggest bills) and cant afford to go to the dr when i get sick, i can guarantee you they go to the dr for anything /everything... i know because half my friends are on it and do.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

We provide an endless supply of corporate welfare without any stipulations. Why not poor people too?

Can’t we be against both?

No one here suggested they were for corporate handouts. This is an intellectually dishonest argument.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
WIC is exactly the kind of welfare I'm all for because it goes directly to feeding kids and expectant mothers in need.

WIC isn't EBT or cash assistance, it's real help.

I highly recommend learning more about the WIC program before you start chastising those who benefit from it as lazy people who don't work...Because that's not how it works.

Never thought I'd see someone crapping on WIC.

Yes, to a point I agree, however even bad actors can destroy a program such as WIC. Ever seen em try sell a bunch of cheese for cash? I have.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

In the Army, E-4 and below soldiers who start a family are immediately referred to WIC while the wife is pregnant, and thereafter because WIC is contingent on income and an E-4 soldier and below are seen as financially unable to meet all the necessary requirements.

Guess all those people are lazy bums who didn't earn it like you did right?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Anecdotes like this are not exemplary of a systemic failure.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Anecdotes like this are not exemplary of a systemic failure.

But a failure and an abuse of the system non the less? As I admitted I thought WIC was a good program. However if enough people abuse the system, the very same system you and I agree is a good thing, may come to an end?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

a reply to: smkymcnugget420

In the Army, E-4 and below soldiers who start a family are immediately referred to WIC while the wife is pregnant, and thereafter because WIC is contingent on income and an E-4 soldier and below are seen as financially unable to meet all the necessary requirements.

Guess all those people are lazy bums who didn't earn it like you did right?

Serious question, why would you have children if the salary isn't high enough to care for them? Where does personal responsibility come into play?

I didn't have children until wife and I were financially able to care for them on our own.

I think there should be some social safety nets, but we are removing any semblance of personal responsibility from people. I am getting sick of having to pay for other people's screw ups when I am trying to take care of my own family.

edit on 26-6-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

But a failure and an abuse of the system non the less?

So what's your solution? Make poor people jump through more hoops?

There is waste in every system. The vast majority of people use WIC for its intended purpose. Just because you saw someone selling a block of cheese doesn't mean that incident scales across the program.

I'm not interested in the slippery slope fallacy with regard to WIC. It just doesn't have the waste problems of other government programs.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

well... i mean... you said it... sorry i don't have a permanent hard on for anything in uniform, they signed up.

also i specifically referred to SNAP benefits which as you should know... is not WIC, i mean it doesn't even have any of the same letters.

WIC is very temporary:

provides Federal grants to States for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age five

while you can be born live and die with your EBT card.

link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

$200 in groceries

yeah...for $200 PER WEEK in groceries AKA about $800 per month or around $10/hr.

and why not? odds are really high that if you on SNAP your also on section 8 for rent and medicaid for health insurance. i work my butt off for everything i have (groceries, rent and insurance are by far by biggest bills) and cant afford to go to the dr when i get sick, i can guarantee you they go to the dr for anything /everything... i know because half my friends are on it and do.
Yall pay attention now. Added to what was said above...^^^ You have now worked 20 hours a week for at LEAST minimum wage, which can add to the ammount of Dollar$ you have for food. Win win.

link   

Hilarious article. So republican voters that wanted less reliance on government assistance in general are going to be upset they get less reliance on government assistance? Oh I see this is WaPo and we are talking about the straw man republican that is all about greed and racism - Trump's base. Yeah those fictional voters are sure going to get what's coming to them!

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Serious question, why would you have children if the salary isn't high enough to care for them?

serious answer: It isn't really that expensive. i make the same as i did before my daughter was born (wife a stay at home mom) and their is no difference in my disposable income. shoot i even bought a new car

Cloth diapers, breastfeed... wheres the extra expense again? oh yeah that B/S college degree i'm supposed to start saving for

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

But a failure and an abuse of the system non the less?

So what's your solution? Make poor people jump through more hoops?

There is waste in every system. The vast majority of people use WIC for its intended purpose. Just because you saw someone selling a block of cheese doesn't mean that incident scales across the program.

I'm not interested in the slippery slope fallacy with regard to WIC. It just doesn't have the waste problems of other government programs.

You seem to be taking my words, getting highly emotional and jumping to conclusions just because I brought up an abuse of the program. I think you should calm down abit and actually digest what I am getting at? Programs that have been designed to help people in this country have historically found ways to game the system. Yet when people mention it, people get offended.

Look at our welfare system for example.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420
a reply to: Edumakated

Serious question, why would you have children if the salary isn't high enough to care for them?

serious answer: It isn't really that expensive. i make the same as i did before my daughter was born (wife a stay at home mom) and their is no difference in my disposable income. shoot i even bought a new car

Cloth diapers, breastfeed... wheres the extra expense again? oh yeah that B/S college degree i'm supposed to start saving for

If it isn't so expensive, then why do we need WIC or any of the other programs?

It cost me about $4k / mo for two kids in day care and miscellaneous kid related expenses...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join