It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laura Ingalls Wilder's name removed from book award over racism concerns

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

That's what I get out of it too. What history has been rewritten by changing the name of a literary prize? That in itself IS history.

Today is tomorrow's history.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
I think people who want to willingly forget history are the dumbest cretins on the planet.

However, we are talking about an author who had no problem amending her own work in her own lifetime. So I doubt she would care that someone changed the name of an award. Just my two cents. Someone else more triggerable than I can carry this flag forward. Call me when they ban her books or publishers decide to changer her words.

I wonder who was the curmudgeon who figured out the award was in her name and wanted to P.C. cleanse it?

I guess the Harvey Weinstein Scholarship for Struggling Actresses will have to get a new name too? It's helped so many........

I read this point in an Op-Ed about the gal who "discovered" Einstein's racism in his diary and is now trying to get him shamed postumously for it. It's easy to discover the supposed moral failings of the great achievers of the past. It's much harder to do what they did and actually, you know, achieve something. I mean she bases this on two private statements he wrote about Asians during his travels that he never once spoke aloud to anyone and no one knew anything about until this diary was suddenly unearthed. Which is more important? All of Einstein's great scientific work in theoretical physics or two errant statements on his perceptions of people in Asia in a private diary that no one knew about until quite recently?

Whoever started this fuss is standing on LIW's shoulders and greatness to amplify his or her own perceived moral purity without having really achieved anything of his or her own. All he or she did is point a finger.

Same thing with Theodor Seuss Geisel aka Dr.Seuss. I'm surprised they haven't gone after Disney and Loony Tunes for their war time efforts.

edit on 26-6-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Right now, Disney makes all the proper progressive noises.

They just destroyed Star Wars with SJW crap and blamed the fan base for not wanting to enjoy that crap. It's apparently my fault for not knowing what I should like or something, not their fault for putting out virtue signalling garbage.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
a reply to: odzeandennz

her books are still there, they renamed the prize name to something else...

for now

look around there are no stop gaps in place to deal with the hate

you lack foresight to see the end game

End game.......I see it as just another step to claim the constitution/BoR were written by the wrong folks and we need to get rid of them. At some point a civil war will break out.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy

I personally would not of changed the awards name. What kind of weak individual must you be, if you have anxiety and uncomfortableness over the name of a literary award. So much so that you have to demand the name changes.

I just also can't be bothered to get up in arms over a literary award name change and become the curmudgeon who demands it be changed back. The two thought processes go hand in hand. I care for neither. So I'm stuck in the middle.

I agree, everyone is always trying to work up one side or the other.

I bet it was Russian Trolls who started this literary award crisis.

Nobody gets mad we call them trolls, where is the outrage? It's so dehumanizing and desensitizing.

Cool Name Btw, karmicecstasy. I like it!

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Right now, Disney makes all the proper progressive noises.

They just destroyed Star Wars with SJW crap and blamed the fan base for not wanting to enjoy that crap. It's apparently my fault for not knowing what I should like or something, not their fault for putting out virtue signalling garbage.

Same thing with Marvel Comics.....their readers somehow didn't want to plunk down money on SJW "heros". What a shock. Teen age boys liking scantily drawn buxom females rather than progressives.

Just remember Disney owned Harvey Weinstein's Films. Like they didn't know he was a creepster.
edit on 26-6-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I see. You see a victim here.
There is no victim.

(post by endercreeper01 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join