It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laura Ingalls Wilder's name removed from book award over racism concerns

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

The board of the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC) made the unanimous decision to change the name on Saturday, at a meeting in New Orleans. The name of the prize was changed from the Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal to the Children’s Literature Legacy Award.

“The novels are full of phrases that are unacceptable today. Even in her own lifetime Wilder apologised for her thoughtlessness and amended a line in Little House on the Prairie that said Kansas had ‘no people, only Indians’. It now reads, ‘no settlers, only Indians’.”

Nothing too see here.

Just par for the coarse and attempts to remove the truth from history.

It really makes no sense to me but i do implore you to show me the value in rewriting history.

The only logical next step would be to remove the reservations since they are racist reminders of the past.

Perhaps we could air bet over the air now?

This along with sarah sanders saying that if you do not get to see a judge does not mean you are not receiving due process has really made my day.

Not really a rant but the hits do keep comin'.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
what truth? what history that's being re-written , how did you deduce that from the article?

is it just default, generic tripe to create nonsensical arguments?

it was removed because of the contents of her books , which she acknowledge herself...
her books are still there, they renamed the prize name to something else...

wtf.. jeez...

you make little sense
edit on 26-6-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Removed due to my lacking reading skills today * need more caffeine.
edit on 26-6-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

More people thinking they can change the course of the world and save the future from the past. I'd say they are doomed to eventually help repeat it, removing books, statues, monuments, and flags won't change anything. It's all just actual history trying to be whitewashed to make things more palatable to the liberal, sjw, ze/zer, type.
edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum because: Edited for editing.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

her books are still there, they renamed the prize name to something else...

for now

look around there are no stop gaps in place to deal with the hate

you lack foresight to see the end game

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

right, all they did was rename the award.

they didn't ban her, her books, or accomplishment or anything of any sort .

they changed a children's prize title from her name to 'Children’s Literature Legacy Award.'

what are you missing here?
edit on 26-6-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Once again the PC brigade feel the need to airbrush history for no other reason than being PC , it was different time and a different place yet they still feel the need to apologise for it ... sad.

Sanitise the world.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I actually misread the second quote in OP.

I thought they amended a line in the books, and not her.

So my point is invalid, that's my bad.

Yea I don't care if they change the name of an award. I thought they were changing the books too.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Who knew Little House on the Prarie was racist?

The show gave the Waltons a run for squeaky cleanliness.

Damm Nazis.

Wait till they Tee off on Mark Twain, if they haven't already.
edit on 26-6-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
a reply to: CriticalStinker

right, all they did was rename the award.

they didn't ban her, her books, or accomplishment or anything of any sort .

they changed a children's prize title from her name to 'Children’s Literature Legacy Award.'

what are you missing here?

Are you not familiar with the ole window trick?

The Overton window, also known as the window of discourse, is the range of ideas tolerated in public discourse. Overton window - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Beach Bum

What's the problem then if it won't change anything? They've got to call that award something, and there's no God-given reason that it has to bear Wilder's name for all time to come.

Now, a few years ago in Sweden they removed Tintin comic books from a library because they contained racist art of black Africans and Arabs and what not. That's problematic. But the name of an award is not some important historical treasure. Just because some guy in the past decided that she's the ultimate children's author doesn't mean we have to cement that legacy.

I might take issue if someone left money for a children's book award and explicitly stated that it's to be in memory of a specific author. But whatever, as long as they follow proper procedure to change the name.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

BWAHAHAHA

When in WORLD history has a western history book been changed to falsify the historical record??? Well when it wasn’t a conservative doing it???? (Cough) daughter’s of the confederacy (cough)..

Never .. ever.. ever once..

Especially, concerning Indians the earliest settelers wrote down there history as if they were all canabalistic heathen savages who needed to be civilized or destroyed..

Then after we had wiped the vast majority of Indians out. The historical accounts flipped and they were a perfect culture living in homeostasis and were totally innocent as they were brutalized by colonialists..

It is only modern history that has attempted to find the real truth..

This is the same broken argument conservatives make about EVERYTHING.. a slippery slope argument pretending their political opponents want to do something NO ONE HAS EVER EVEN PROPOSED....

Not keeping statues or traitors on public property IS NOT CHANGING HISTORY BOOKS!

Casting Achilles as a black guy IS NOT CHANGING HISTORY BOOKS!!!!

In all the history of modern western civilization not one time have the history books been changed to demonize white people.

The daughters of the confederacy propagandized the history books.. but it wasn’t to demonize white people..

It’s propaganda for stupid people...

It is a logical fallacy that has been on the list of logical fallacies we have had since Athens.

When history books are changed to report that Chris Columbus murdered and mutilated tens of thousands of people while running pedophile rings of native children to keep his men happy.

They are not lying now.. they were lying then.

edit on 26-6-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

they renamed the prize name to something else...

was the prize funded by her endowment? if so, it is unacceptable. And it is a whitewash... don't want someone to look up that author and commit thought crimes against humanity by reading unsavory words. Especially the children, gotta protect the children from thought crimes at all costs.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I think people who want to willingly forget history are the dumbest cretins on the planet.

However, we are talking about an author who had no problem amending her own work in her own lifetime. So I doubt she would care that someone changed the name of an award. Just my two cents. Someone else more triggerable than I can carry this flag forward. Call me when they ban her books or publishers decide to changer her words.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
When one tries to erase history...….....your dooming future generations to have to live through it all again.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

BWAHAHAHA

When in WORLD history has a western history book been changed to falsify the historical record??? Well when it wasn’t a conservative doing it???? (Cough) daughter’s of the confederacy (cough)..

Never .. ever.. ever once..

Especially, concerning Indians the earliest settelers wrote down there history as if they were all canabalistic heathen savages who needed to be civilized or destroyed..

Then after we had wiped the vast majority of Indians out. The historical accounts flipped and they were a perfect culture living in homeostasis and were totally innocent as they were brutalized by colonialists..

It is only modern history that has attempted to find the real truth..

This is the same broken argument conservatives make about EVERYTHING.. a slippery slope argument pretending their political opponents want to do something NO ONE HAS EVER EVEN PROPOSED....

Not keeping statues or traitors on public property IS NOT CHANGING HISTORY BOOKS!

Casting Achilles as a black guy IS NOT CHANGING HISTORY BOOKS!!!!

In all the history of modern western civilization not one time have the history books been changed to demonize white people.

The daughters of the confederacy propagandized the history books.. but it wasn’t to demonize white people..

It’s propaganda for stupid people...

It is a logical fallacy that has been on the list of logical fallacies we have had since Athens.

When history books are changed to report that Chris Columbus murdered and mutilated tens of thousands of people while running pedophile rings of native children to keep his men happy.

They are not lying now.. they were lying then.

decaf mate, decaf.

you're not helping.
dont do what others do when they're' slightly' right.
but you're right, minus the immature finger pointing.

the ones denying ignorance admitted their oversight.

lets not encourage an argument based on an oversight. the statue thing was bunked a long time ago... as history hasn't changed one bit.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

no wasn't funded by her anything... it was named in her honor, now they changed the name of the prize to this:
Children’s Literature Legacy Award.

thats all...

jebus

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
I think people who want to willingly forget history are the dumbest cretins on the planet.

However, we are talking about an author who had no problem amending her own work in her own lifetime. So I doubt she would care that someone changed the name of an award. Just my two cents. Someone else more triggerable than I can carry this flag forward. Call me when they ban her books or publishers decide to changer her words.

Just what exactly would you do if they banned the books?

Kinda like how you stopped em from destroying what they have already gotten away with.

What more of a clue could you possibly need as to the intentions of people removing our history?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Why can't the world just come together and in one voice say...

N***a Please!!!!

But the self censorship I just did shows that I'm part of the problem too.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

So you debunked the statue removals?

wtf are you on about?

Jesus please help return this souls common sense.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join