It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans alone in universe, depressing study finds

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Subsonic

I don't tend to disagree. I also think it's a good thing since we have zero idea if an alien intelligence is friendly and I would rather not take the chance on finding out.

Well - if they are human then chances are they will not be friendly! They will want to know what's in it for them! The human individual looks with eyes of a businessman.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I've seen proof of the ET.

These people are pretentious and technically incorrect.

They will be very surprised when they discover the truth.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

This study is POPPYCOCK.

Bunkum, nonsense and dross. It is one thing to say, quite correctly, that nothing we can test and examine suggests that other intelligent life resides within our view, but quite another to say that because we have yet to see evidence, that nothing and no one is out there.

No matter which way you slice it, the study as performed by FHI, is an attempt to show that absence of evidence is evidence of absence and there is no realistic or logical way to do that, because the very notion of doing so is faulty from the outset. The distances and informational density of the observable universe, mean that we could be looking into the heavens for another thousand, two or five or ten thousand years, and still not have seen anywhere near all that there is to see, and until we have, until we do, no firm conclusion can be drawn.

Results worth getting, and drawing conclusions from are limited exclusively to those which can be placed in a test tube, or run through GCMS processing, or examined with electron microscopy, actual observation of actual events. The methodology used to arrive at the conclusion of the FHI report, however, is based on nothing more than assumptions. We have discovered a few thousand planets outside our own solar system, total. But there are unimaginable numbers of stars in the observable universe, and even the most conservative estimates suggest that the vast majority have planets, plural, meaning that there are astounding numbers of planets out there to look at some day, billions upon untold billions, across what I would describe as an unreasonably gargantuan distance. Given that, we know that there is way more data out there, than we could ever hope to parse in an effective and meaningful way in our lifetimes.

The less than a handful of thousand planets that we do know of, cannot be studied in detail which might lead to true discovery, without waiting an inordinate amount of time for either the propulsion technology necessary to visit each one, or a MASSIVE advance in telescopy, such that we could zoom down on any planet out there, just the same way we do while using google satellite data, from all the way back here on Earth. When we can do that, when we have examined not just the small fragment, of a fraction, of an infinitesimal sliver of a percentage of the stars and planets out there in the visible universe, but a good number of percent of them, call it twenty percent, IN EXACTING DETAIL... THEN we can start making assumptions.

And do not misunderstand me, even then those assumptions will be about as useful as most are, which is not particularly where science is concerned, even more so when dealing with an edifice the size and sheer complexity of the universe itself. There is always something new to learn, always something new to see, never a moment where a person could hope to say "we know all there is to know, we learned it all, there is no new frontier, there is no new horizon". And furthermore... when we have become old enough of a species to have observed, catalogued, and examined closely each speck of rock in the heavens we see, to a degree where we know what lay upon it from the smallest figments of atoms, to the largest structures of geology, from the tiniest microbe to the largest creatures in the universe, there will STILL be more to know... and why?

Because it is highly unlikely that the edge of the observable universe, is the edge of the universe itself. We need to be faster traveling, we need to break the bonds about our ankles, and learn to sprint with the photon and outrun it, if we want to answer the greater questions of the universe, and I say that because the edge of the observable universe is a great distance away from us. We need to travel toward it, to lessen the time between us, the observers, and that edge, to reach a point in space time which is close enough that the light from the edge of the observable universe and beyond it HAS had enough time to reach our observation points. We need to advance to answer definitively, the questions that the FHI have attempted, no matter how hamfistedly, to approach in their study.

Without doing so, all the assumptive, mathematical gymnastics in the world, or on any world, will mean nothing at all.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Life on earth is a statistical certainty, given the conditions here. Just so happens the conditions are a statistical outlier.

However, I don't think the average person (or any person?) can truly appreciate the vastness of the universe.

The number of stars in just the milky way? We don't know. Seems there's somewhere between 150 to 350 billion stars. Billion, with a B.
If you had a $100 bill for every star in the milky way, that's between 1500 and 3500 pallets of stacked wrapped paper.
That's something like 70-175 full 40' shipping containers full of $100 bills.
Take a stack of those bills off the top of the first pallet in the first container- $10,000 worth. Easily fits in your pocket!
That's a hundred suns. A hundred stars, many of which have their own planets, which have moons.

Now, try and think of how many planets and moons we've conclusively determined have never had any form of life we'd recognize on them.
that's right- none! We don't even know for sure that our own moon never had recognizable life, let alone mars. We're fairly confident neither have life on them at the moment- but could even still be wrong about that.
We're reasonably confident there's no other space- traveling life in our solar system, and for good reason... but we don't even have surface photos of some planets in our own solar system!

A bit cocky to assume there's no other life in the whole milky way, let alone the known universe.
Remember the stacks of cash?
Well, if each $100 bill was a known galaxy- like the milky way- you'd have 50 shipping containers full of $100 bills. Each bill having billions of suns, many with their own planets, and moons...

And then there's the rest of the universe. Remember- we can't see the end, if there even is one. We are limited by the speed of light.

Light is too slow- the further away we look, the older the light we see- so we can only see the past. It's entirely possible an alien scientist is looking at our sun right now from 5 billion light years away. Do you know what they'd see? Nada. Our sun hadn't even formed yet. But we could be looking right back at them 5 billion light years away... seeing just another boring star. Their planet might not even have formed yet, but we could be looking at eachother. Do you think they have stupid studies claiming to be the only life in the universe, too?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Somehow i imagine said study lacks a significant amount of information.

At least 95-96% of said information.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I've always thought that if we are indeed the only intelligent life in the universe, that the likelihood of 'God' actually existing and having created Earth and humanity in his image goes up dramatically.

If you take 'in his image' literally.

If you also take other things literally that is said about God then God is everything, God is everything that exists in the universe and beyond.

If, however, we find intelligent life elsewhere, then religion is, for all intents and purposes, dead, as that would prove that intelligent life is a natural phenomenon throughout the universe.

No it would not in my opinion.

See above and how God is defined.

Faith and belief with newer discoveries will only grow with the new knowledge we gain.

We may find that evolution is found to happen on other planets and intelligent life has spawned from that which could give rise to a stronger than it is now belief that God is a scientist and his creation is so complex that a complete understanding keeps eluding us and as we get closer the universe grows and that finish line that was in our grasp is way off on the horizon all of a sudden again.

A brilliant topic of discussion and reading.

Not sure why its depressing, I guess its the media using terms to get reactions or catch peoples attention.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I think this study is a bunch of garbage myself, you can't have a study without any empirical evidence to actually study. It's just speculation.

read what the article says.

It doesn't say Aliens don't exist full stop.

The study suggest intelligent aliens don't exist in the known or observable universe.

What is the percentage of observable universe to what we consider dark matter?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
I've seen proof of the ET.

These people are pretentious and technically incorrect.

They will be very surprised when they discover the truth.

Are you certain of what you seen?

Perhaps you seen ourselves bleeding through the timeline?

IMO there is more proof of a stackual existence than there is of aliens.

It is amazing what a filter can do to our perception.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Around 96%

Fact of the "matter" is that life could be all over the place and we simply do not have the ability to perceive it.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Around 96%

Fact of the "matter" is that life could be all over the place and we simply do not have the ability to perceive it.

there you go.

If you interpret the article that way then whats it saying?

No need for readers to get upset and disagree, it simply suggesting that ET could be just about everywhere or no where,

its just that what we can perceive is so little of what is really there that aliens could probing our rectums as we post/speak

I have an itch

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
So, if intelligent life is a phenomenon whose existence is confined to this one planet out of the entirety of the observable universe, what does that suggest about the possible existence of OTHER singular/unique phenomena in other small, localized areas of the universe?

How many examples might there be of other natural phenomena that exist IN ONLY ONE INSTANCE in the universe? Sure there is more than one star in the universe, more than one planet, more than one asteroid - more than one of pretty much everything. But what if there ISN'T more than one of everything? Maybe the phenomenon of "an intelligent species" is just one of TRILLIONS of absolutely unique, one-off phenomena that come into existence in ONE time and place in the universe?

How would it affect our understanding of nature if we were to begin finding phenomena (say, some new and unusual type of astronomical body) of which we can confidently say, "Yes, we've discovered something new, its startlingly unlikely anything else we know about, and we're pretty sure its the only one of its kind in existence."?

edit on 26-6-2018 by BiffWellington because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

This was posted a few days ago and it's as much guess work today as it was then.

“Many parameters are very uncertain given current knowledge. While we have learned a lot more about the astrophysical ones since Drake and Sagan in the 1960s, we are still very uncertain about the probability of life and intelligence.

Intelligent life doesn't exist until we discover it , which at some point we will because it does.
Hopefully we'll discover it before it discovers us.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

A bit depressing but im also kind of glad. Just imagine some super advanced aliens managed to get here - wouldn't you be embarrassed explaining things on Earth? Pointless political arguments, polarisation, war.......and on and on.

I can almost imagine the pitying shake of the head before the retreat to the spaceships.....

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
We are never alone, we have our creator who loves us and millions of heavenly brothers.

We may each have an angel personally looking out for us. example scriptures:

Hebrews 12:22, “But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels”

Mathew 18:10 reads: “See that you do not look down on any of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.” Read more at www.beliefnet.com...

“Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?” (Hebrews 1:14).

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939

I find it very funny that some scientists based off their limited knowledge of what constitutes "life" in the universe claim there is none.

Humanity has been around for only a fraction of a split second within the cosmic time line and we can now safely say there is zero life in the universe? Wow. Just Wow.

Not to mention the theory that life could exist within multiple dimensions which we don't have the technology to travel to or see. We are still considered ants in the cosmic realm.

I agree, God says he is always busy, he is creating so there must be a lot more.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Would you all please look at the three guys that came up with this scenario, look at their credetials and come bsack and tell me how they are qualified to come out with this diarrhea.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Life in general, or intelligent tool using life?

As studies go, this makes good guess work. Faulty, almost certainly...but for now, maybe has some basis in observable fact.

For now.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
We are not alone We are the proof they had something to do with are making then they realized what they did , Left and closed the passage behind them .

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
What does it matter if humanity is alone in the universe? We are alone in our own individual minds, and live out our lives and die alone, with some minor clumsy, superficial interaction with other people. And when we die, the universe dies with us (as far as we're concerned).

We're already alone, even on a planet filled with billions of living things. If we find aliens, they'll just be more creatures from which we're already separated by our singular points of view.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

www.youtube.com...

Kind of what this dude professes.

edit on 26-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join