It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. approves first marijuana plant-derived drug for epilepsy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   
If half the good things minus any bad things is true then this is one large step forward for those who can benefit from this drug. We have been reading more and more about the medical benefits of cannabis and some of its' chemistry.

(Reuters) - The U.S. health regulator approved GW Pharmaceuticals Plc’s epilepsy treatment on Monday, making it the first cannabis-based drug to win approval in the country and opening floodgates for more research into the medicinal properties of cannabis.
The drug’s approval permits its use in patients aged two years and older with Dravet Syndrome (DS) and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (LGS), rare childhood-onset forms of epilepsy that are among the most resistant to treatment.

“This approval serves as a reminder that advancing sound development programs that properly evaluate active ingredients contained in marijuana can lead to important medical therapies,” said Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Scott Gottlieb.

The drug, Epidiolex, is made up of cannabidiol (CBD), one of the hundreds of molecules found in the marijuana plant, and contains less than 0.1 percent of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive component that makes people high.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

About time, as long as the drug companies don’t try to patent the natural ingredients found in cannabis. The plant has so many uses and positives going for it, the fact that it is still mostly illegal despite Jim Morrison’s generation having “taken over” reminds me what a messed up world it is.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

CBD oil is legal in the UK and the Netherlands (and I would guess much or most of the EU too) and has been for some time. It's nice to see the FDA free the way for big pharma to make money off a plant we should be allowed by default.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
In a few months there will be plenty of research happening. We're still learning about the endocannabinoid system, and how the natural terpenes of the plant have as much of an impact as the THC and CBD.

This plant scares the hell out of big pharma because it works best with minimal processing, their industry could be ravaged by back yard gardening!

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   

So for at least the third time, our gov't has admitted and used weed as a medicine, but still list it as a schedule 1 narcotic, with no medicinal value.
Why even have rules for classification if they don't follow them?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
It’s about damn time the government’s restrictions on marijuana are juvenile and hypocritical. You shouldn’t need to be a government approved lab to excitement with the beneficial and benign side effects. This isn’t just the ex-Californian in me the outlawing of marijuana was a downright devious scheme. I have fell victim to the pharma culture before and it damn near ruined my life. Down with narcotics and up with a much safer alternative.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

CBD oil is legal in the UK and the Netherlands (and I would guess much or most of the EU too) and has been for some time. It's nice to see the FDA free the way for big pharma to make money off a plant we should be allowed by default.

Last time I checked CBD was legal in the states, there was some talk about banning it but it’s still widely available even down here in the south.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Hold on--is this derived from marijuana, or hemp?

Also, if it's derived from marijuana, doesn't that mean that it has approved medicinal use now and should be removed from Schedule-One classification?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posted Yesterday

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

My bad. I googled the product (Epidiolex) and it's just legal cbd. Nothing revolutionary or new or illegal before they produced their product. 0.1% THC. As close to zero as you can get almost.

ETA The terpenes, flavonoids and cryptoids are missing from the equation, regardless of the THC. This is why a complete plant extract is more desirable imho.
edit on 26/6/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

My bad. I googled the product (Epidiolex) and it's just legal cbd. Nothing revolutionary or new or illegal before they produced their product. 0.1% THC. As close to zero as you can get almost.

ETA The terpenes, flavonoids and cryptoids are missing from the equation, regardless of the THC. This is why a complete plant extract is more desirable imho.

No problem just pointing it out seeing as I’ve bought CBD vape juice and gummies in local vape/smoke shops. Stuff is surprisingly expensive about to the point where it’s about the price of street marijuana. I agree that CBD is not the only beneficial compound but it is a small step forward towards acceptance that marijuana is no way a hard drug and infinitely safer than most pharmaceutical solutions.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
From someone who suffers from seizures, I'm glad to hear this is starting to gain more acceptance as an actual form of treatment.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

CBD is ridiculously expensive. Then again, there's not that much CBD in cannabis flowers. I would prefer Rick Simpson Oil. Or Butane Honey Oil.

I agree that public acceptance is key and something severely lacking due to the classification/scheduling and social stigma in some countries.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Sonoma Coma for the win...

Sour Diesel for place...

And the rest thanks for showing up....

new topics

top topics

join