It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archeologists find evidence of Rome Creation Myth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Ironically I found this on Al Jezeera but I found several other agencies reporting it. Evidently a group of archeologists excavating part of the Roman Forum have found the remains of an ancient palace dating back to the mythical creation date of Rome in 753 BC. While I doubt it does anything to prove that Rome was created by the sons of Mars, Remus and Romulus, the palace is quite grand in scale and in the exact location where the palace should have been. Before the find the common belief was that there were only huts on the location at this period.

The palace itself was evidently 3700 square feet with a monumental entrance, making it much more then a hut and proving that there had to be something more then huts there at the time to support the building of such a complex. Exciting read and I could see Rome actually being created by two king brothers who claimed thier father to be Mars for purposes of divine authority. I wonder if they'll find the room where Remus was strangled to death by Romulus in an argument over what to name the city. Did always find it ironic that Romulus went on to become a wise and benevolent diety in Roman religion after murdering his brother lol.

www.twincities.com...

english.aljazeera.net...

Edited to add in links to source material.

[edit on 20-2-2005 by jukyu]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jukyu
Did always find it ironic that Romulus went on to become a wise and benevolent diety in Roman religion after murdering his brother lol.

You live, you learn!
Now they need to find the remains of the Wolf mother and the cave they were raised in. Wouldn't that be something?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Well, if I remember correctly Remus and Romulus came to power as vigilanties, they would go around and stop brigands, return stolen property, rescue people, etc. Then, they used their popularity to cause an uprising and overthrow the current king at the time. Then they became the rulers and founded the city of Rome. Isn't it likely that there were these two brothers and either they or people of their time came up with the stories about being decended from Mars and raised by wolves to legitamize their authority, make them sound like powerful mystical rulers to the Etruscans and the other peoples around them?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is a great find. I've always been interested in the legend of Romulus and Remus. I'm hoping that more will come out of it.

new topics

top topics

join