It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Department of Commerce has received over 20,000 tariff exempt requests from the American industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It's heavy in the news today and some of the American steel companies have already tanked as much as 7% in value since stocks opened this morning. We knew that the the White House playing Cowboys and Indians with the world could have negative repercussions on our own industry, but it's not until today that we've known just how many have asked to be left out of the policy changes. There is no guarantee that the Department of Commerce will appease them all and protect their industry, leaving tens of thousands of American jobs at stake.

“You put these tariffs (in place) but now you’re going to exclude everybody so they’re kind of pointless,” said Durwin Royal, president of United Steelworkers’ Local 4134 in Lone Star, Texas. The diverse views illustrate the complexity, confusion and concern lurking behind Trump’s “America First” pledge. The steel tariff — essentially a 25 percent tax — may backfire on the very people the president is aiming to help.

One of the steel factories is taking things into their own hands and asking their employees to write letters to the President asking him to make them an exempt.

On a sweltering afternoon earlier this month, Johnson assembled dozens of his employees in an air-conditioned room for what amounted to a Hail Mary pass. After lunching on sandwiches from Chick-fil-A, Borusan workers wrote personal messages on oversized postcards to be sent to Trump and other senior officials in Washington and Austin, the Texas capital, pleading for their help in securing the tariff exemption.

“I don’t know what motivates politicians besides votes,” Johnson said. “That’s why we’re doing this crazy exercise.”

At what point do we stop to reconsider our course before it becomes too late? How effective is a policy if 20,000 of American companies are scrambling to be exempted from it? When do we step away from partisanship and politics to focus on American workers and what they need?

Associated Press

We know from the Department of Commerce statement on Wednesday that they have agreed to exempt 7 companies so far, showing a move away from White House policies, but the question remains: how many of the 20,000 will actually get their request? And how long will that take? What protections do American workers have while 20,000 requests are considered?

Department of Commerce
edit on 25-6-2018 by Kharron because: quotes

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
TPTB pick the winners and losers... examples have to be made.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

When Trump makes the decision, and he tells my PM that Canadian citizens will suffer. I honest, I do not care. America voted for him, now suffer the consequences. They started this trade war, and I hope Americans end it.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
it's like losing weight, you don't see results the first day...

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
A non story. Even the steelworkers praise the tariffs.

"Uncertain" is the key word here. We've never had a hardball POTUS. Time to shine 😎

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
A non story. Even the steelworkers praise the tariffs.

"Uncertain" is the key word here. We've never had a hardball POTUS. Time to shine 😎

I'm sure you can provide evidence of this claim?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

If you could provide us a link where I can read that 20,000 companies are praising the tariffs, as opposed to 20,000 who are against them, I would appreciate it. I know this is not good news to the Trump supporters, but it is worse news for those Americans who are affected - let's be honest with each other and stand with each other, not the government.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
"shareholders upset their 401k dwindled a little today and want companies to tell Mr. President that its not fair"

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
"shareholders upset their 401k dwindled a little today and want companies to tell Mr. President that its not fair"

Is that what you got from the OP?

I can assure you this thread is not about some shareholders upset about their 401k; it is about 20,000 American companies asking the Department of Commerce to exempt them from a White House policy.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

... some of the American steel companies...

One of the steel factories is taking things into their own hands ...

I don't think you understand what is happening in your article.

The "steel industry" isn't applying for exemptions. The US Steel industry is ecstatic.

Companies that use imported steel are asking permission to import foreign steel without paying the tariff. And yes, many manufacturers of "things" will feel the sting until American steel production increases to meet domestic market demand. This is a complete market and supply chain realignment. What did you think was going to happen?

Am I supposed to act shocked that a Turkish pipe manufacturer with a factory in the US is upset that they can't buy under-priced Chinese steel which they've been dumping internationally anymore? That they may have to *gasp* buy American steel at market prices? That is the whole point of the freaking tariff. To strengthen American steel production and consumption.
edit on 25-6-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

This guy gets it. Of course this is to be expected, but it's all supply and demand. Wait for things to stabilize before jumping to conclusions.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

... some of the American steel companies...

One of the steel factories is taking things into their own hands ...

I don't think you understand what is happening in your article.

The "steel industry" isn't applying for exemptions. The US Steel industry is ecstatic.

Companies that use imported steel are asking permission to import foreign steel without paying the tariff.

In other words they are applying for an exempt; so they don't have to pay tariffs when others have to?

What is concerning about this, is not that this will make the policy ineffective if given to everyone, but that it is against free market if it is not given to everyone. If the government chooses which companies can play at what level, it defies the very definition of free market.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

They apparently have to make a case based on unavailability of the steel/product from domestic or other friendly exempted suppliers. Or that it is required for national defense work.

I agree that I don't like the government offering and adjudicating exemptions.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

They apparently have to make a case based on unavailability of the steel/product from domestic or other friendly exempted suppliers. Or that it is required for national defense work.

I agree that I don't like the government offering and adjudicating exemptions.

That's exactly the problem... that Turkish, or a Swedish, or a German... or let's just call them an American small business owner, since they are all in America; all these small business owners will have to apply and wait for months or years to get approved for import without tariffs.

In the meantime, the big 7 that already got approved, and numerous other big ones have been exempted from the start. Not only do they have a size advantage over the small or the medium business, they now also get raw materials for 25% cheaper.

This is an overt attack on the small business in favor of the biggest players, and I cannot support it. I cannot support shifting profit into the hands of a few.
edit on 25-6-2018 by Kharron because: typo

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The first casualties of President Trump's trade war are 60 workers at Mid-Continent Nail, America's largest nail manufacturer. They lost their jobs on June 15 at a factory in a part of Missouri that voted overwhelmingly for Trump. The whole company could be out of business by Labor Day.

Mid-Continent Nail blames the layoffs on Trump's tariffs, and the company says all 500 employees could lose their jobs by Labor Day. The next round of cuts could come in a matter of days.

www.washingtonpost.com...
edi t on 6/25/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   

do Americans own anything anymore?

every factory job I ever had was owned by a foreign company because a lot of American business owners have been prices out of the market by Chinese goods

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Your tip worked, thank you. If I open them in a new private window, I don't have those same issues.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

This right here is scary from the WaPo link:

The Tax Foundation predicts 48,585 job losses from the tariffs Trump has already enacted on imports of washing machines, solar panels, steel, aluminum and $50 billion in Chinese products. That figure would soar to over 250,000 job losses if Trump moves forward with tariffs on another $200 billion of Chinese products, the Tax Foundation said.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

"In an ironic turn of events the Mexican company DeAcero, the proud recipient of multiple past ITC duties for illegally dumping nails and wire in US markets, and past complainant in Mexico against foreign dumping and other unfair trade practices in Mexican marlets securing protectionist policies for its own company, has now threatened to shutter the doors on its American plant if America does not stop using protectionist policies and it is not allowed to import nails into America duty-free from its vertically-integrated parent company in Mexico. "

I do think, however, it is sort of naive to slap tarffs on iron or steel and not on finished products of iron and steel.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Naive in international trade? Trump?

new topics

top topics

join