It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When was the first case of a black male acquitted of rape/murder of a white victim??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

This case and process of appeals and a final pardon by George Wallace might interest you:

Scottsboro Boys

You'll note that one of the "victims" later retracted her story and said that none of the accused touched her or the other white "victim."

They were still tried and some convicted, though. This was in the 1930s.
edit on 25-6-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: toysforadults

Oh that’s super easy..

White Americans have committed crazy more atrocities.. have you ever looked in a history book.

How many whole towns full of blacks publicity tortured and executed some times while groups..

Rwandan Genocide

You forgot an entire continent of people. The Rwandan genocide wasn't that long ago. I'm not condoning the slaughter of innocents, just pointing out that skin pigment doesn't have anything to do with humanity's propensity for violence.

You also left out the Rohingya massacre...

Most of Korea's history is: who will occupy us today? China or Japan?

Equinsu ocha! Equinsu ocha!

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

"There is no way to tell how many of the more than 1,470 people executed since 1976 may also have been innocent. Courts do not generally entertain claims of innocence when the defendant is dead. Defense attorneys move on to other cases where clients' lives can still be saved. Some cases with strong evidence of innocence include:

Carlos DeLuna: Texas — Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989
Ruben Cantu: Texas — Conviction: 1985, Executed: 1993
Larry Griffin: Missouri — Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1995
Joseph O'Dell: Virginia — Conviction: 1986, Executed: 1997
David Spence: Texas — Conviction: 1984, Executed: 1997
Leo Jones: Florida — Conviction: 1981, Executed: 1998
Gary Graham: Texas — Conviction: 1981, Executed: 2000
Claude Jones: Texas — Conviction: 1989, Executed: 2000
Cameron Willingham: Texas — Conviction: 1992, Executed: 2004
Troy Davis: Georgia — Conviction: 1991, Executed: 2011
Lester Bower: Texas — Conviction: 1984, Executed: 2015
Brian Terrell: Georgia — Conviction: 1995, Executed: 2015
Richard Masterson: Texas — Conviction: 2002, Executed: 2016

Robert Pruett: Texas — Conviction: 2002, Executed: 2017

Carlton Michael Gary: Georgia — Conviction: 1986, Executed: 2018"

edit on 25-6-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Why does everything with you guys always have to be about black/white, male/female, racism/hate, left/right, liberal/conservative, US/THEM??

Do you progressives ever think about ANYTHING that's not divisive?

Other than simple curiosity, why the sudden fascination with this particular subject?

I believe Morgan Freeman got it 100% correct in this VERY insightful interview with CNN's Don Lemon

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Oh that’s super easy..

White Americans have committed crazy more atrocities.. have you ever looked in a history book.

How many blacks lynched whites??

How many whole towns full of white citizens publicity tortured and executed some times while groups of blacks???

Jesus Christ the south let the slave population get up to close to 50/50 and rape and murder was absolutely even legal..

So that kinda makes all those who personally witnessed them accomplices..

At least by the legal standard today it for damn sure would...

Then you have the atrocities in the aftermath of the civil war. Where the gloves were off and all financial reason to not mistreat your slaves was gone and replaced with the blame for the war white planters started because “they didn’t know their place”.

Then you have the KKK resurgence of the 1920s

Then Jim Crow..

Then the segregationists..

Then the war on drugs..

Brother it isn’t even close by a mile...

The only place blacks have ever heald dominion is in the school yard and prison yard..

Come on, man. You know good and well that there's not a single white American alive today that ever even remotely had ANYTHING to do with slavery.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Were the areas the black people hanging out in policed more heavily? I mean...its a numbers game, right? If 70% of the police are patrolling areas where there are more black folks, then you'd expect to see more "black crime", right?

Another way to look at it: people who purchase lottery tickets win far, far more often than people who do not. You gotta be "in it" to win it....and if you aren't "in" a primarily black neighborhood, it may be that you just haven't had a chance to get caught up in something yet.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The Todd Cameron Willingham case broke my heart so badly it instantly made me oppose the death penalty in all cases.

Its a tyranny that we seem to not be willing to shake off, and I am frankly appalled that my tax dollars go to support lawfully murdering other people as if we were euthanizing a cat.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Those are the only cases I can find and none seem to site a first case, or site that this is technically considered the first case.

Say in the state of Louisiana. Never once in history has a black person been acquitted of a violent crime agai st a white person..

Or say the first case is In 1975 or 1980..

That’s crazy..

I read an article that mentioned it a few years back, but can’t recall the article.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

It was less than 2 life times ago..

Screw slavery.. slavery gets all the press. It was WAY WORSE between abolition and the civil rights era.. WAY WORSE..

During slavery whipping your slaves lowered the value....especially brutal owners were looked down on..

Sure there were still brutalities and just monumental rapes, but there were reasons not to hurt blacks..

After the war all of that was replaced by blaming them for the blood and treasure lost in the war..

And there was no reason not to be brutal..

Jim Crow and segregation and such were less than a life time ago..

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

But when was the first time “justice prevailed”??

When was the first time that it went to trial and the defendant was found not guilty?

It is easy to find examples of innocents being prosecuted.. but can’t aeem to find the alternative.
edit on 25-6-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You do realize that the KKK lynched over 1200 white people too.

They were not killing blacks because of their skin color.

They were killing blacks because they were new Republicans.

You know... the party that freed them from the Democrats. Same Democratic party that started pouring money into the KKK.

But don't let a little historical fact get in the way of your racism...

edit on 25-6-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I see you don't know the history of Irish and Chinese immigrants either. Guess you need to read up on your history. That's fine I get it if you haven't done a lot of research there's a lot of room for growth.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Oh I do..

I know it was never legal to rape and murder them after selling off their children..

On the books legal.. not some “well it is illegal but no one is prosecuted for it”. I mean legal ,legal.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Seriously?

Do you think whether it was "legal legal" or "sort of allowed" made one iota of difference to the many thousands of Irish people who suffered horrific treatment?

It wasn't exactly "legal legal" to gas millions of people in Germany but does that have any bearing whatsoever on how we should feel about that.

This seems like petty oneupmanship to me...

Yes black people historically had a rough ride in the states but so did countless other groups.
Outside the USA, historically, in just about every other country in the world, circumstances just as bad, if not worse, were unfolding for many other groups of people.

This fixation with repeatedly raking over past failings instead of simply learning from them and using that knowledge for the betterment of ALL puzzles me greatly...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

THOSE ARE CALLED CRIMINAL ACTS AND HAVE ALWAYS HAPPENED TO EVERY RACE CREED AND COLOR.. .

When the state is allowing and supporting discrimination/slavery/rape and murder it is a whole new level of horrible...

Its the same logical fallacy concerning police shootings..

When 2 criminals murder each other or a criminal murders a civilian then is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law . It is not the same thing as when a police officer murders someone and is treated like a hero....

And black Americans have not historically had a rough ride unless your considering “historically “ to be within a single life time..

Overt racism has only been “unthinkable” the last 40-60 years lol..

Plenty of segregationists are still running around living..

The Irish were discriminated against for 50 years 200 years ago..

Anyone with one drop of African blood has been discriminated against for all of american history sans the last generation.

Those things are not even remotely equal
edit on 28-6-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Actually, you know what, never mind...

Best of luck to you man

edit on 28-6-2018 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Well it wasn't that hard to research
only 84% of victims were white
but...

deathpenaltyinfo.org...

Race of the victim discrimination was singled out by the U.S. General Accounting Office in its report "Death Penalty Sentencing" which concluded that studies showed: [The] race of the victim was found to influence the likelihood of being charged with capital murder or receiving the death penalty, i.e., those who murdered whites were found more likely to be sentenced to death than those who murdered blacks. [14] This record of racial injustice played a significant part in Justice Harry Blackmun's recent decision to oppose the death penalty in every case. "Even under the most sophisticated death penalty statutes," said Blackmun, "race continues to play a major role in determining who shall live and who shall die." [15]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join