It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harley-Davidson shifts some production overseas as EU tariff of $2,200 per bike kicks in

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's all a matter of who's holding the pan from the handle...whoever buys more from the other party is the one that lays the rules of the trade. How do you think Trump got his $$$$$

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

so china is holding the cards?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: howtonhawky

The question does remain, though--how long will it last, because we all should understand that, yes, tariffs always hurt the lowest on the totem pole (the citizens), but if people put tariffs on our stuff, and we don't on theirs, how is that fair?

This is why, when I was in Germany, I was able to hand small bottles of Jack Daniels to the doormen at the clubs and get in free--what cost me a few dollars would have cost that person three times as much, if not more. Plus, it made friends and was good international relations, but I couldn't believe how much that stuff cost "on the economy" when I was there.

I think this literally TRUMPS everything here as it is the crux of the issue and most important point.

People seem to not understand that.

They tariff our stuff, at some point, you'll get a POTUS who'll respond likewise. Today, we have that POTUS.

As you say, this Admin won't be blinking anytime soon.

This is simply a nuetral perspective on the situation despite my partisanship.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

eyes wide open like a meth head waitin on the cops to break the door in

is there a path put forth to remove the taxes?

any offers to deescalate the situation or should we drive out more jobs before we even say remove yours and we remove ours?

Trump stated the goal is to even the stage but where is the plan to get back to zero?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Not by a longshot

China 3 to 1
www.census.gov...

and for the EU 1.5 to 1
www.census.gov...
edit on 25-6-2018 by manuelram16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

that is not what wal-mart says

what would life be like in usa without Chinese plastic and such?

Trump is the kinda guy to stop all imports completely with no back up plan as to how to make our own.

He is putting forth no follow up to his dictatorial decisions.
edit on 25-6-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Don't think your elevator stops in all the floors....

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Yep, I agree, and my partisanship on issues like this lie on the side of the consumer and taxpayer--at least now, it won't just be the taxpayer getting screwed because we live in a nation that is tariffed when we refuse to do the same. Of course, as consumers, we lose on both ends, but at least the playing field is starting to get leveled out so all of the mucky rain water doesn't collect only in America.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

that would be a waste of time since i had a unique destination

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
You all have views are so one-sided. How many jobs were lost years ago by trade agreements that are one-sided and made between politicians and lobbyist? free market capitalism only works when all parties play by similar rules. When one countries laws diminish the fairness of contracts that are already made one-sided by politicians and lobbyists it's no longer free market capitalism but an underhanded backroom deal at the cost of Americans.

Harley Davidson will lose far more market share by losing the brand image of being American product then what they perceive as a loss in Europe

top topics

<< 1   >>

join