It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harley-Davidson shifts some production overseas as EU tariff of $2,200 per bike kicks in

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
maga

www.cbc.ca...

The maker of the iconic American motorcycle said in a regulatory filing Monday that EU tariffs on its motorcycles exported from the U.S. jumped between six per cent and 31 per cent. The company said it expects the tariffs will result in an incremental cost of about $2,200 US per average motorcycle exported from the U.S. to the EU.

So who is next?

Not really winning anymore.

Policies failing.

Number one iconic american muscle going overseas.

Gotta love trade wars that have no end game plans kinda like kidnapping kids with no plan to return them ever...........

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Good. You wanna play nasty then let capitalism take it's course and ruin you.
I hope they move it to Scotland or somewhere that needs some industry.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
is this the new thing, when your business has already been struggling blame Trump?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Chinese retaliatory tariffs aim to hit Trump in his electoral base
The president has claimed that trade wars are ‘easy to win’ but Beijing and the EU plan to hit back against states that elected him

Make "America" 1600 Again!

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Basically, capitalism is the victor in international economics and now it is now devouring itself from the inside out. Next step, corporate feudalism.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
is this the new thing, when your business has already been struggling blame Trump?

he takes credit for all those that do well so he sure as hell should take the blame, too.

lol

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Dad why did you destroy the earth?

Son the humans never graduated kindergarten.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

failing based solely on Harley Davidson, a company which was already struggling amongst other motorcycle companies....
they're moving to bicycles to attract millennials. that's how bad they're doing.

that tariff won't really affect their yield in Europe as other manufacturers already have stronger numbers there.

why don't we wait a year or two and see how Trump's trade policies really turn out before jumping to conclusion instead of using an already weak selling product abroad as an example of detriment.
edit on 25-6-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

failing based solely on Harley Davidson, a company which was already struggling amongst other motorcycle companies....
they're moving to bicycles to attract millennials. that's how bad they're doing.

that tariff won't really affect their yield in Europe as other manufacturers already have stronger numbers there.

why don't we wait a year or two and see how Trump's trade policies really turn out before jumping to conclusion instead of using an already weak selling product abroad as an example of detriment.

Someone recently did a thread on this(ATS search function is horrible, otherwise I would link to the thread).

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If people want one so bad in Europe they’ll buy one, otherwise they are an inefficient noisey overpriced piece of transportation. Vespa is where it’s at.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
OK. So the EU puts tariffs on Harley Davidson motorcycles. By their own admission, these tariffs are not in place to benefit EU member states, but to retaliate for US tariffs on imported metal. These tariffs increase the average price for EU member states for Harleys manufactured in the US by $2200.

In response, Harley-Davidson will open a manufacturing facility in Europe to bypass the tariffs.

So what's the big deal?

I think it's a little short-sighted for both the EU and Harley-Davidson. I'm pretty sure a major topic of discussion at the last Bilderberg meeting was how to make sure a non-globalist is never allowed in the White House again. As soon as Trump is gone, the tariffs will disappear. The US tariffs, that is. Tariffs on US exports will still be a-ok according to the MSM and the next globalist president.

If tariffs on Harleys benefits EU member states, why didn't the EU implement them before Trump? If the tariffs are simply there as "retaliation", then shouldn't the US "retaliate" with tariffs on European automobiles?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

it makes no sense to wait to continue to fail.

It is becoming clear that the policies are failing because lack of planning

did you notice how well the stock market done during the recent hostage crisis?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Harley...

Wait, so it costs me 25k to look broke and on meth?

Where do I sign up?

Try making a bike that isn't an underpowered, overweight, dangerous, loud piece of unreliable garbage.

They rode out the Easy Rider theme wave too long.

Heck, they didn't even do a good job at that.

There are some pretty sweet customs out there snd they couldn't even take a hint from those builders.

Now they blame it on Trump?

Lol, losers.

Too bad their American employees will suffer their bad design choices.

Adapt to the market, or die. Take your pick HD.

Quit pocketing the profit for shareholders, while you sell steel framed, lawnmower engine driven, oversized scooters.

I was building that style of bike when I was about 13 years old.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
So what everyone in here is saying here, that any government increases placed on goods and services hurts the middle class

So we all agree that tariffs should be removed, taxes should be lowered, and that would make a stronger middle class

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
So what everyone in here is saying here, that any government increases placed on goods and services hurts the middle class

So we all agree that tariffs should be removed, taxes should be lowered, and that would make a stronger middle class

on all sides from all countries.

i like the idea of using leverage to set up negotiations but there is no follow up plan being implemented.

the goal was to get other countries to remove sanctions yet there is no effort to push in that direction now

potus is lacking follow up plans

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
honestly, Im more surprised that people are still buying these over-priced bikes.

No big loss, maybe other brands will be bought more frequently and bikers will realize how big of a financial sink-hole they are...

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

So, no mention of how many, if any, jobs will be lost because of this shift to build 40,000 motorcycles oversease? And of course, I would ask, will these just be assembly plants, and HD will ship the bikes over in parts, or will they be manufacturing from the ground up?

These things matter, and are not answered, because one will have minimal, if any, impact to state-side production facilities, while the latter option would have quite the foreseeable impact.

Or, we can just ignore that stuff and complain about Trump instead.

Plus, this is looking to happen nine to 18 months from now--who knows where we'll be at that time.

The story also notes that the EU is working together with China on a trade agreement--that seems like a more important story in the grand scheme of things.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Right now we should be stating something along the lines of remove yours and i will remove mine......

Now how much foresight does it take to understand that?

A year or so of waiting really does not help but only looses more jobs.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I guess what will really matter is the duration that one group can hold out versus the other--who will blink first.

Ever since Trump took office, he hasn't done a lot of blinking in situations like this, and I don't think that it's going to start now.

The question does remain, though--how long will it last, because we all should understand that, yes, tariffs always hurt the lowest on the totem pole (the citizens), but if people put tariffs on our stuff, and we don't on theirs, how is that fair?

This is why, when I was in Germany, I was able to hand small bottles of Jack Daniels to the doormen at the clubs and get in free--what cost me a few dollars would have cost that person three times as much, if not more. Plus, it made friends and was good international relations, but I couldn't believe how much that stuff cost "on the economy" when I was there.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

as in any situation such as this one has to present options after applying pressure.

dictator 101

top topics

<<   2 >>

join