It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The hypothetical use of medicinal cannabis in the teachings of Jesus Christ

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
First lets start with the Pixies
www.youtube.com...

In the US over the last couple of decades or so, the outlook on marijuana has undergone a complete paradigm shift. According to the most recent Pew Research Center poll, 61% of Americans back legalizing cannabis on the federal level. This goes across generational and to some extent, party lines. Lots more Americans support legalizing medical marijuana, for serious, legitimate illnesses. This new outlook is even filtering down into some unexpected places, such as among a couple of fringe Christian groups. Consider Deb Button. She’s the founder of Stoner Jesus Bible Study.

Button swears she had a deeply fulfilling spiritual experience while high on pot. "I'm sitting in my living room and the cannabis was kicking in at a higher dose, and I could literally feel God,” she told the Los Angeles Times. “I was filled with love, an indwelling of love." The 40-something Coloradan now holds Bible study in her home, which she’s converted into a “Bud & Breakfast.” Weekly sessions combine cannabis use with discussions on scripture.

Another example is California’s Sisters of the Valley, who are to be the subject of the upcoming documentary, Breaking Habits. The order, founded by “Sister Kate,” grows cannabis and produces medical marijuana products, mostly cannabidiol salves and tinctures, to heal the sick. While not affiliated with any official order, the women wear habits and refer to each other as “sister.” Now, two experts are questioning whether or not there’s an actual, Biblical connection between Christianity and cannabis.

Carl Ruck, a professor of classical mythology at Boston University, is one proponent of this radical theory. "There can be little doubt about a role for cannabis in Judaic religion," he told The Guardian. Ruck believes that Jesus may have anointed those he healed with cannabis oil, which is referred to in Aramaic as kaneh-bosem (Exodus 30:22-36). Traditionally, this was thought to be the herb calamus. Nine pounds of one of these herbs is used in the recipe.

The ancient Hebrews only anointed the priestly class (and later kings). This practice came from the story of the burning bush, where God instructed Moses on how to make the anointing oil and when to use it. Jesus is said to have broken with tradition by anointing the common people and sometimes when doing so, he performed miracles. Take the passage, “They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them (Mark 6:13).” Epilepsy could have looked like demonic possession, and CBD—a phytochemical in cannabis, has been shown, anecdotally, to treat it.

Although research into the healing powers of cannabis has been severely restricted by marijuana’s federal classification, cases such as Charlotte Fiji’s, covered by CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta, lend this theory a modicum of credence. The then six-year-old was having up to 300 grand mal seizures per week. After a consistent regimen of CBD oil, Fiji now only has one or two mild ones per month. Ruck says that Jesus and followers doused themselves in the oil, which would’ve been absorbed through the skin. Nine pounds of marijuana would’ve meant a lot of CBD.

In addition to this, CBD is thought to have anti-inflammatory properties, to lessen pain and calm anxiety. It may even help with eczema and glaucoma, which might be why Jesus is often explained as healing skin and eye conditions. Chris Bennett, the author of the book, Sex, Drugs, Violence, and the Bible, is a supporter of the cannabis oil view. “The medical use of cannabis during that time is supported by archaeological records,” he told the BBC.

"If cannabis was one of the main ingredients of the ancient Christian anointing oil, as history indicates,” Bennett said, “receiving this oil is what made Jesus the Christ and his followers Christians." Skeptics and there are many, say the evidence is just too weak. What’s more, while cannabis was widely used throughout the ancient world, so was calamus, which was also revered for its healing properties.

Supporters of this theory would have a long road ahead. First, the medicinal properties of cannabis would have to be proven through vigorous research, which could take years. Then, they’d have to prove that the ancient Hebrew anointing oil did, in fact, contain cannabis and not calamus".~

Lets see where this debate goes - does it get editied like the majority of my posts do or will the administrators allow an open discussion on the role of narcotics in belief. lets see
edit on 25-6-2018 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

Your title just made me laugh.

Jesus hypothetical use of medicinal cannabis in order to preform miracles

what doctors were prescribing Cannabis in those days for it to be labeled medicinal?

In addition to this, CBD is thought to have anti-inflammatory properties, to lessen pain and calm anxiety.

Not thought, known.

First, the medicinal properties of cannabis would have to be proven through vigorous research, which could take years.

seeing as the Israelis have been doing a study since the 70s about medicinal cannabis and its uses therr is quite a bit out there.

The scientists that initially started the study have papers available of their research and results to be peer reviewed.

Toady in Israel quote a few Children are treated and some very religious people that were totally against it are all for it after seeing the results and seeing their bed stricken family member's due to opioids for pain but were zombies because they were basically on legal heroin. after being treated using cannabis one lady was able to walk on her own after a long time of being bed stricken and the only way to previously move about was with help.

The medicinal benefits are world changing and many doctors know it now as more and more bad stigma is lifted and more governments are allowing medicinal use to be legal.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Just dont!

You are making me entertain the premise of Christianity once more.

That crap is hard enough to remove first time around. LoL

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I always thought JC was a dirty hippy.

I'm not convinced but it's definitely an interesting idea.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I wish I could remember all the groundbreaking ideas I've had stoned. I could change the world if I could remember

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar
I always thought JC was a dirty hippy.

The dude was visited by three kings when he was a baby and they loaded him up with some very rare and expensive gifts. He was not some poor schlub. He was very self-righteous like a lot of hippies, though.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

“And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.”

Amen.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Where was hemp even originally native to?!?!

Lol I kinda thought it was originally from South America. If so then that is just silly..

But hey, maybe I’m wrong and the Romans were as stoner as they come lol.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Actually it originated in the China/India region.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Hemp is a very adaptive plant. Some say it came from the Hindu Kush region. I doubt the Romans were stoners though. More like alcoholics. They liked their grapes. They used to throw up behind their chaise longue and let their servants clean it up.
edit on 25/6/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I very much like this idea and it seems like it's "the secret" the Vatican scrubbed from history. Making it seem like Jesus and everyone put such importance on some herbs and oil just because it smelled nice, or because their superstitious beliefs told them it had some spiritual effect, or was pleasing to the nostrils of god, angels or something...

It seems much more likely that they used something powerful with very noticeable effects, something that could be described as a miracle drug, a miracle plant, etc... just like I have heard Many people describe cannabis.

As fisherman they would find the hemp very useful indeed. With so many uses, it would indeed seem like a gift from God. It might be prudent to reread some passages to see if they make more sense.

I've heard that some special poison was used to take Jesus death...
The 3 kings brought gold, and myrh (myrhuana?) And uh... another herb right? Frankensense or something? Family guy does a joke how the king who brought gold was being a dick to the other kings by going over the previously agreed upon "spending limit" for Jesus bday gifts cause gold is way more expensive than herbs and incense... But maybe the hidden message is, with the right knowledge, like the knowledge kings could have access to, these simple plants can be worth as much as gold.

Could it be that Jesus and his crew were trained as "magicians" of sorts, specifically in the "arts" of Botany? (a scientist in those days would be considered a magician by many). Could this be how they performed some of the miracles?
edit on 6/25/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Ivd heard that Jesus is the most high, but I've never heard of him getting stoned by the magic dragon.

edit on 25-6-2018 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The title is too hypothetical

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
No sorry
Marijuana has amazing medical capabilities if all the hype is to be believed, Christianity wouldn't deny its validity as a medical drug, better than opiates and the problems they cause
But
Christianity is not a faith of feelings, good or otherwise.
It's not based on the premise life is wonderful and pain needs to be escaped
Christianity is about forgiving one self as well as others, it's about caring for others with love and compassion, dealing with reality not escaping it.
Jesus taught us to care for others by dealing with issues, not escaping them temporarily

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
You know I really hate anger. I am against anger. It appears to be an evil emotion. I don't believe anything good comes out of anger. I think it just encourages hatred.

But yet, I get so amazingly Angry when I read Christian websites on the internet because they speak about the incredible lack of historic knowledge that Christians have because they do not choose to study history, rather they would blindly believe in what other people tell them. It is such a tremendous failure for people to have blind faith over things that other people tell them without even investigating one bit to see if the people telling them things are liars. It is so common in this world for people to lie. So many people lie, and many of those people sit in a seat of power, and their lies manipulate people and even change the course of history, all because people do not want to develop theories based on their own research - they just lazily want to believe with blind faith in whatever people tell them, and even go to the grave in the faith that people are telling them the truth - they are putting their soul on the line without studying one bit, it is so horrible, and in my opinion it deserves judgment by God.

Some of these things are so tremendous and full of hypocrisy that it is outrageous. One of the examples is the historical legacy of James, the brother of the Lord. First of all scholars agree that his name was not even James. Second, people refuse to believe the Jewish accounts of his life and they stubbornly believe what the Romans said about him. But the versions of the Romans and Jews have such different accounts of him, it is incredibly outrageous for people to believe the Romans and not study one bit over what the Jews said.

It also really really angers me that they make the Messiah out to be God. When people go around saying, "I am God, I am God." That is a known sin of such great length, it is a well known hypocrisy. The Son of God never in a million years ran around saying "I Am God." Even IF he said "Ye are gods" that has nothing to do with saying "ye are the Creator of the World." How can anyone assume such a bad illegitimate conclusion? Let alone that it was the most important aspect of all faith to admit that there is One God. But I have read the Aramaic translations of the gospel, yes those same ones that Christians deny and will not look for because they are filled with pride and sin, and I know from those scriptures that Christ said many times that God is His Creator, that He was Subservient to God, that God was his Parent, that he was the Son of God - not the Creator of the world. Yet this stupid website is sinning and lying with every other idiot -

After all, it would be hard for any of us to be convinced that our big brother is the creator of the world.

See, some of these editors and authors are Freemasons and they know that the religion was formed in Rome specifically to lead people away form God and to cause them to sin by defaming the legacy of Christ and his family and adding all sorts of incredible lies into the gospels making him to be a magician and a deity. Not one of the scriptures agree with each other - yet people believe a story that has four versions - over what the Jewish Christians told us that has one version!!! It is so utterly stupid, that is causes anger inside of me - even when I am against anger on every level of the emotion. Such stupidity causes anger because it is so despising, so dirty like rotten trash, for people to either sway the beliefs of people by continuously urging dishonest things, or they are sucked into the web of created lies and encourage others to continue believing in such utter stupidity and sin. They completely hate Christ and speak that hatred through their unwillingness to understand His teachings and conform to them.

And now they try to say Christ spoke about marijuana. The lies don't ever end. There is so much utter stupidity involved with religion it is astronomical. It is unexplainable. It is completely outrageous. The Truth is nowhere in sight. The Truth has disappeared. People care Nothing about the truth. All people want to do is manipulate and control other peoples emotions and get some popcorn and just watch it happening like they are entertained. I Hate This So Much!!!! I don't need to feel this anger for long because the Day of Judgement will come indeed, and not only the people who sin will be punished, but these stupid idiot people who refuse to learn and believe the Truth will indeed be punished.

I just cannot believe how these monsters in history lied so much, and til this day people keep on pushing the lies. They have zero historical knowledge over what happened in history, they cannot agree on anything that happened from a historical point of view, yet every last one of them thinks with all of their heart and soul that they are right. It is so pitiful, it is so astronomically pitiful on such a large scale of pity, I just cannot believe how stupid human beings are.

You don't care a thing about being smart. You are full of pride, hate, and you are stubborn about it. Two versions of the same story and you believe both of them? I promise every idiot that thinks he or she is smart but is really full of pride and hate, they will be judged. And that is the only thing that allows me to live, because I hate this world so much more than how words can describe. So many jealous non caring people who only want to cause grief in others because they are too sinful to live happy lives and they have no idea why that is because they are so stupid, so they try every day to cause pain and suffering in other people because it makes them jealous to see other people do good and they don't know why.
edit on 28-6-2018 by MatterIsLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Jesus taught us to care for others by dealing with issues, not escaping them temporarily

Well, except when he was getting his feet anointed with expensive spikenard oil (or was it cannabis oil?) and wiped clean by Mary. And when his people griped about it and said that they should sell the oil and give it to the poor, he told them to leave Mary alone and replied essentially that, "The poor will always be with us, but one of these days I'll be gone." Not the only time Jesus acted like a complete dick.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: MatterIsLight

You know I really hate anger. I am against anger. It appears to be an evil emotion. I don't believe anything good comes out of anger. I think it just encourages hatred.

If you understand what anger is you wouldn't feel that way.

You can control your anger, either letting it go or releasing it where it wont have any negative effects on others.

Anger is simply the person not seeing or understanding why they are experiencing what they are.

It could be anger towards another, understanding why another is doing what they do gives you insight and you understand another persons point of view.

Sometimes another's purpose is to try and trigger your anger in which you can either accept their manipulation and get angry like they wanted or you can let it go.

But yet, I get so amazingly Angry when I read Christian websites on the internet because they speak about the incredible lack of historic knowledge that Christians have because they do not choose to study history, rather they would blindly believe in what other people tell them.

You see,

The internet and a majority of things on here are to trigger you to react, just like you have.

You get amazingly angry reading Christian websites because it says people don't study history?

Then you go on and post this

It is such a tremendous failure for people to have blind faith over things that other people tell them without even investigating one bit to see if the people telling them things are liars. It is so common in this world for people to lie. So many people lie, and many of those people sit in a seat of power, and their lies manipulate people and even change the course of history, all because people do not want to develop theories based on their own research - they just lazily want to believe with blind faith in whatever people tell them, and even go to the grave in the faith that people are telling them the truth - they are putting their soul on the line without studying one bit, it is so horrible, and in my opinion it deserves judgment by God.

Wow you have issues

Judgement by God because of what you read on Christian web sites?

Its like others saying the world is doomed because of all the news of war famine and other negativity.

They don't realize how manipulated they are by media and internet and how much different the real world actually is.

There is so much utter stupidity involved with religion it is astronomical.

So you are obsessed with stupidity and that angers you.

Maybe take a break and get into other things non religious if its all so stupid and the Christians are so dumb and you get angry.

The only person you are harming is yourself.

You are full of pride, hate, and you are stubborn about it.

and earlier you mention being hypocritical as well.

Funny thing is

I read your post and its full of hate, you even say you hate somewhere in there.

I promise every idiot that thinks he or she is smart but is really full of pride and hate, they will be judged. And that is the only thing that allows me to live, because I hate this world so much more than how words can describe. So many jealous non caring people who only want to cause grief in others because they are too sinful to live happy lives and they have no idea why that is because they are so stupid, so they try every day to cause pain and suffering in other people because it makes them jealous to see other people do good and they don't know why.

What a gift to humanity you are

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
No God hates nature. Pills at where it's at. Let big brother do the thinking like Romans 13 said

Cannubis is the Egyptian God of # it. Romans hate people who would rather not pay taxes..

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I am sorry you can't see the beauty of the story because of the bitterness in your heart
I bet you don't give everything to charity.....why not

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Great lesson. I don't understand what anger is - according to the words of your mouth, so you felt compelled to teach me.

Well, I see you as a prideful egotistical human being who needs to assert yourself and your ego in writing so that you can feel better in your own pride. But I do not have pride so I wish not to contend with you any further, because as long as I differ in opinion with your judgment about the extent of my knowledge, nothing I say will ever be good enough because in this conversation we are not dealing with the Truth of God but the Pride of Ego which I consider opposites of each other.

But, anger was the least important aspect of my post, as I remember that I mentioned how little anger has to do with the emotions I experience in any given day because I do not feel anger due to the rational that I do not agree with anger, therefore I would rather feel other emotions that are the root cause for why people even feel anger to begin with. As I believe that I already mentioned if I did feel anger like I did, it would only last for a few minutes therefore being the most minor of interruptions.

Do you think that I will feel angry if somebody treats me with injustice or disrespect? I am not one of those people who get into road rage disputes when some selfish driver cuts me off in traffic because he has absolute hatred for his own species and have zero seconds of patience because he or she does not believe a human life is worth giving one second of patience for.

The important message of my post is to tell people that whoever says Christ is God, is a complete sinner and will face judgment for his or her lack of wisdom and lack of interpreting scripture the way it was meant to be interpreted. Now I can understand why the value of my words was gone unnoticed, or simply not given attention to, and you would rather give me a lesson and assert yourself as the one mentally dominant in our conversation - again, if you had no pride or no ego, you would not have been compelled to write in the way you acted so I am not speaking to any truth, I am speaking to hatred; to the opposition of me.

So I will end this post with some words from the brother of the Lord, James, whose real name is Jacob, as the One who supports Truth and the One who gives Truth is the Love of my Soul, and should be the love of your soul if you were able to dismantle your prideful ego. This holy man has been completely ignored by Christianity, yet he is second in command to Christ, so the fact that his legacy has been ignored by everyone is a giant shame, but I stand up for Him, because I Love Him. So, again, after many many times of asserting the truth, I will quote His testimony here, and people will still go on ignoring it and saying whatever they can to change the truth and sway other people from understanding and believing in the truth - because whether or not you realize it, when you speak from your ego and not your heart, it is the serpent within your soul speaking for you, and usually in a case like this you have absolutely no idea that the force of evil is speaking within you, but a good keen person can prove it in conversation at the same time you will be blind even to the very meaning of the words coming from your mind.

Do not think that we speak of two unbegotten Gods, or that one is divided into two, or that the same is made male and female. But we speak of the only-begotten Son of God, not sprung from another source, but ineffably self-originated; and in like manner we speak of the Paraclete.
- James the brother of the Lord, whose real name is Jacob, the first Archbishop of the Catholic Church.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join