It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sometimes the little stuff hurts!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Sadly I'm already a pro at pulling out chunks of metal out of my skin. You ever do ocean fishing? (pro tip don't drink but everyone knew that and I didn't listen).

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JosephKnecht

Cold??

HA!!...you'll just learn to LAUGH at the cold!!

Being able to "feel" your extremities is way overrated!

Just always remember this one thing, and you'll be fine... The probability of a cow calving is directly proportional to the wind speed, nastiness of the weather and lateness of the hour, it is also inversely proportional to the ease of getting to where the cow is geographically. Confused? I will translate...a cow will choose to have her calf in the absolute worst weather, during the highest winds (plan on sleet, hail and snow) at the furthest possible distance, in the most inaccessible terrain to get to, at absolutely the most inconvenient time...every...single...time!

Remember that, live by it, expect it always and you're all good!
edit on 6/25/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

FCD, there is a reason that ramming things under the fingernail, or having the nail forcibly stripped from the nail bed, is actually a very well recognised form of torture. There are an awful lot of nerve endings in the tips of fingers and thumbs, toes too as it happens. That is why what you experienced was such a special agony.

I feel your pain... I once crushed the tips of two of my fingers in a sliding door (don't ask). I had to have a red hot surgical device pushed THROUGH the nail, and into the flesh beneath, to release the blood that had collected there, because the pressure was unbearable, and the presence of all that blood under the nail bed put my fingers at risk.

I didn't swear... inside the hospital. Once I had received treatment and LEFT the hospital, I threw myself down on my knees and cursed every curse I could spit in one huge, punctuation free sentence of absolute filth. Felt nothing like it since, thank God. Again, my sincerest commiserations man. I hope the wound heals well and is clean of any further debris.

Just a side note on blood beneath a nail....most of the pain from a crush injury, comes from the pressure generated when the blood has nowhere to go. Easy at home minor surgery can be fun though!

You can use a very small drill bit, or a beveled injection (medical) needle to manually drill a hole in the middle of where the blood is pooled, through the nail...which has no nerves. The relief upon reaching it, will be immediate. Use alcohol to clean the area and the tool, both before and after....then cover with a sterile bandaid, over the hole for a day or two.

Altervatively...the one I like to use...because it looks scarier...is to soak a cotton ball with alcohol and light it. Then use that flame to heat the end of a bent paperclip you are holding in a hemostat. Nails melt. So you just apply the red hot metal over the pooled blood and melt a hole through. The blood will quench the heat, so not be felt at all if you are careful....you'll immediately know when you are through.

Or...you can just be boring and keep a few disposable cautery pens around the house.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I would love to sit around a camp fire having a beer and some stories with you. Your posts brighten up ATS. Sorry about the pain, but thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Good to see you got all of the splinter out.

Stay well.

One tof he most sensitive parts of the body

en.wikipedia.org...

The United Nations Istanbul Protocol describes nail removal and the insertion of objects such as wire under the nail as forms of torture.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Bahahaha! You just described me! I'm famous for my spider dance.

Glad you are over the self surgery and on the mend!

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Why do I see a mouse digging a splinter out of a lions paw??

It is near mythical as far as stories go! (Hint, hint)

And the obligatory, “Pics or it doesn’t count!!”

Well, on second thought, after seeing tonsil stones, you can get a pass!!

Don’t squeeze the citrus too hard!!

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Enderdog

Good call!

I am personally glad that I was able to get to the hospital and have a pro lance it with a cautery device, but in a pinch that solution could have worked too!

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Definitely have my sympathy. Years ago i got a metal sliver in between index finger and nail for the length of the nail. I still sweat thinking about it!

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Good call!

I am personally glad that I was able to get to the hospital and have a pro lance it with a cautery device, but in a pinch that solution could have worked too!

In the US, that would cost at least several hundred dollars...more likely 1200 if one goes to the ER.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

That is a bloody barbarian way of organising a system of healthcare provision.

I will add to my previous statement on the matter of my treatment, that not only am I glad I was able to visit the hospital to get treatment, but I am also fortunate and glad to be, that I live in a country which, for all its many faults, at least runs a healthcare system which operates on a reasonable basis, one which permits anyone and everyone to use emergency medical services, without paying an on the spot or specific charge to do so.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join