It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sometimes the little stuff hurts!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Working on a ranch a fella gets banged up quite a bit. You learn to just rub some dirt on it and move on. If a fella were to complain nobody would listen anyway, except for maybe a cow or two (who were really more interested in if you might have accidentally dropped a sweet-feed bucket or something). After a while you just deal with the sore foot from getting stepped on, or the shoulder from losing your grip on a hay bale, or whatever. It just goes with the territory.

So Saturday I was just walkin' from one pasture into another. No madness going on for once, no crazy wild escaped cow, or pissed of mama tryin' to get to her crying calf, just me strolling from one pasture to another. No rush, beautiful (and surprisingly cool) day. Walked up to the gate and reached through the fence for the chain holding the gate closed on the post. Lifted up the chain...and ran a really nice sized wood sliver from the fence post right up under the fingernail of my pinky finger! YEEEOOOOOWWWWWW!!! (Now lemme' tell ya what, that doggone HURT! OMG!!) Had me dancin' around out there in the pasture like someone had tossed a lighted sparkler into my undershorts! Oh my goodness did that hurt!!

I guess there must be some special kinda nerves in that finger or somethin' cuz I almost cried like a little schoolgirl on that deal! Pulled my glove off and I could see that puppy about 3/4 of the way up the inside of my fingernail. Just lookin' at it made it hurt even more! Had to take my snivelin' butt back to the house and perform some kinda radical surgery on my finger (I'm sure there's a fancy medical name for the procedure) to get that puppy outta' there. It took a while too. At one point I contemplated just cuttin' the whole dang finger off and sayin' the hell with it.

When I finally got that big ol' bugger out of my finger I shared some choice words with that little fella. Wife said I looked like a crazy man hollerin' at a pair of tweezers, but I taught that bugger a lesson or two. Well, yesterday it was still throbbin'...and typin' here kinda' sucked, so I looked at it again. I'll be danged if there still wasn't a piece of that sliver still stuck up under my fingernail. After another bout of surgery and screamin' at the tweezers I finally got it all out.

Much better today, but wow...sometimes it's just the smallest, silliest, things which hurt like the dickens!
edit on 6/25/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

With men, and I mean all men, the amount of complaint is indirectly proportional to the amount of injury.

Get your leg cut off? Walk it off and go back to work.

Get a runny nose or a splinter? Call 9-1-1, medevac chopper, have a trauma team on stand-by.

This has been studied by scientists with lab coats so it has to be true.

Glad your boo-boo is all better!

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Well it sounds like the second extraction surgery worked. Don't forget your antibiotic cream, you don't want an infection.

I would have paid money to see the field dance. Was it one of those where you run into a spider web and do the wild Dance all by yourself? LOL

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I reckon!

Yeah, my 'boo-boo' is all better now. Thanks...The Earth may now resume rotating!

LOL

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

FCD, there is a reason that ramming things under the fingernail, or having the nail forcibly stripped from the nail bed, is actually a very well recognised form of torture. There are an awful lot of nerve endings in the tips of fingers and thumbs, toes too as it happens. That is why what you experienced was such a special agony.

I feel your pain... I once crushed the tips of two of my fingers in a sliding door (don't ask). I had to have a red hot surgical device pushed THROUGH the nail, and into the flesh beneath, to release the blood that had collected there, because the pressure was unbearable, and the presence of all that blood under the nail bed put my fingers at risk.

I didn't swear... inside the hospital. Once I had received treatment and LEFT the hospital, I threw myself down on my knees and cursed every curse I could spit in one huge, punctuation free sentence of absolute filth. Felt nothing like it since, thank God. Again, my sincerest commiserations man. I hope the wound heals well and is clean of any further debris.
edit on 25-6-2018 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

With men, and I mean all men, the amount of complaint is indirectly proportional to the amount of injury.

You're the last person that should to be speaking on behalf of all men.

LMAO wtf!

@ OP, suck it up buttercup....

@Beezer, you're a progressive metro-sexual lib-tard (nothing wrong with that!).

Ahhhh man I was hoping this was the mud pit

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Yeah, kinda like one of those, but with less hand wavin and more hootin', hollerin' and jumpin' up and down.

The Spider Dance is a hoot to watch the wife do it. She starts contortin' herself all over the place wavin' her arms and such, then she does the move where she tries to turn her head all the way around backwards to see if the spider is on her back or somethin'. Then it's the 'brush your entire body off to get all the invisible space dust off' moves, but like at quadruple time. Kinda' like a movie on fast forward. Whole lotta' hootin' with that dance too!

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

wimp.

just kidding, think of me when you bump that pinkey finger on every damn thing you encounter for the next 3 days.
It will give you a direction for your anger. I think that's a good thing?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JosephKnecht

Oh, I reckon I'll live.

Heh, I just thought I'd post somethin to show even the tough guys cry like little girls sometimes.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

MY bad.
edit on 25-6-2018 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Doesn't even hurt today. Did leave a big ol' red mark up under the nail though.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I was just joking around my friend.

Your posts are actually quite comforting, I envy you due to how you have escaped all the madness and live the relaxing life. I am couped up in the city and I'm sure my posts reflect it.

My family used to live that live but we have all been domesticated over the last few decades. I would love to one day get off the grid and just live off the land, I'm almost there but need a bit more time.

It's going to be a heck of a lifestyle change, I'm used to getting up early but the most I do is a jog and a light work out after some breakfast so I am in no place to act all "alpha male". I have a spot setup where I will be able to fish, grow food, have a bit of cattle and a few other options too. Thankfully it's out of the way of everything but close enough just in case.

You might find me posting a thread of a fish hook stuck in my finger if all goes well

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Yeah, I knew you were just kiddin'!

Now, Mekanics (above) I'm not so sure about. He sounds pretty angry! LOL!

ETA...now, if you ever do get that fishhook stuck in your finger, I can tell ya just exactly how to get that puppy out with the least amount of screaming and damage! (don't ask me how I know this!!)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

What happened to you Beezer?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

the relaxing life? LOL!, FCD, what time do you start in the AM and what time do you usually finish?
(I assure you, I live the relaxing life compared to him)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

He's actually an old good friend from aross the pond. He means well

Update:

Just after I told you to suck it up buttercup, I friggin hit myself right in the temple with the corner of my bench-press bar while bending down to pick up something on the floor and it hurt -THAT'S KARMA LOL

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I'm up at 3am most days, some days earlier.

Rack time is usually around 10pm (this time of year), a little earlier during winter.

ETA...oh, and in Mar / Apr time frame I just go full-zombie mode. Sleep? What's that??? We don' need no steenking sleep!

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

LOL not sure what you mean...but I will do my best to comprehend.

I know what you mean. He probably is up before sunrise and the sun is setting before he is done for the day, that is the life, that life is very rewarding though...

Not many people can go to bed and say their day's work was fulfilling. My last job was hell and I sat all day in a comfy chair. I worked 9-5 with a lot of extra hours but no matter how much I worked or how much money I made I was never satisfied, I always felt distant from the land which I used to be very close to.

Lately, I got lucky and some things came through where I no longer have to work. I have used this time to reflect and as difficult as the life of supporting oneself and your family sounds, it is the way we should all be living.

I will try not to throw to much philosophy into the convo but I have had a vision so to say, not sure what caused it, but I ache for my ancestor lands and plan on returning. It's really nice but really cold in the winter. God's country.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Owww. Getting a sliver under the nail hurts, did that more than a few times in my life. I worked at a flooring mill years ago and used to have to pull the hardwood flooring out of the mailbox like things they put them into and rack them and put the bundle on a conveyer for another guy so he could band them. Once in a while there were long slivers of hardwood sticking up and I used to get them under a nail about once every couple months. I had to have open finger gloves to do the job correctly. They had the proper tools in a first aid kit about ten feet from where I was working. Used them about five times the year and a half I worked there, but I only worked on that job for about a year. The guy I worked with was named strawberry, he was about sixty three or more at that time, he seemed so old back way then in the mid seventies.

I was trying to pull a board off with a hammer during a remodeling job years back and wound up with thirteen slivers in a finger. I pulled most of them out and went to the doctor a few days later and had three more pulled out, he said if the infection didn't go away by monday with three days worth of antibiotics, five pills cost over a hundred bucks, he would have to take off my hand. Darn it when you start to get stripes running up your arm, those things burn when the arteries and veins get all inflamed. The lines going up my arm and the swelling were pretty much gone on monday. If you get slivers and lose your hand is that the same as having a losing hand in a poker game?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join