It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The joys of Benadryl and Red Bull.. or NOT

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I am going to dance as best I can around the touchy subject of ending up (as opposed to getting) high off of a substance, or in this case an accidental combination of substances, which both do their jobs as needed for me separately. But... by their powers combined... Holy Jesus on a rocket.

Yes. Benadryl and RED BULL- the energy drink that gives you wings, will screw you up! How can a simple drink, which I read if combined with vodka will give you all the insanity of a coc aine rush. Since I am not going to be wanting to know what a coc aine rush is like, and I don't drink hard liquor- I was going to give that a pass. Combined with Benadryl, well- I just have no really good way of describing what it did. I'm not a fan of drugging myself halfway to oblivion. After this, I'm even less inclined to want to repeat it.

Here's the short version of what I did, so there is some context. I have chronic back pain, numbness, and shoulder pain. Gluten makes it worse. (Yay. I'm gluten intolerant. What *FUN*). I also ended up with diabetes. Sometimes diet controls it, sometimes... nope. Red Bull does a quite useful number on my high blood sugar. I'm not sure of the how, but a 16-20 oz stomps all over my blood sugar.

The back pain? NOTHING has helped, short of a couple Benadryl and a nap, and that's a temporary fix, unfortunately. Plus, I stay groggy and sleepy most of the day. It's usually a nighttime dose. Each pill is 25 mg.

The other morning... I had my Red Bull, but was having back, shoulder, etc spasms. I was miserable. I finally had enough, and without really thinking, took 3 Benadryl. I figured the 2 would counteract each other, I'd be reasonably coherent, and the stupid spasms would slack off at least. (Side note: The doctors are absolutely mystified as to why I've got such pain like I do. *sigh*)

I went off, and had the short nap I expect from 3 pills. What happened when I woke up was NOT fun. My brain got up, flipped me the bird, stripped off, and danced naked in my skull. I was goofy for the better part of the day, riding in the car was horrible.

How in the world can 2 supposedly innocuous things, both which can be bought at any store in town (especially Red Bull!!) have the ability to drop kick someone's brain to this extent? The Benadryl, I get. It's designed to be taken for stings, allergies, colds, mold exposure, stuff like that. But an energy drink, that seems to be the Swiss Army knife of cheap highs? It's something I'd not even been able to imagine, let alone consider!

I appreciate what Red Bull does to my blood sugar. I really do. But *drug* interaction with a simple drink that is not alcohol was never a thing I'd ever thought about, until that incident. I'm mystified, a little concerned, and well, I know what NOT to do ever again. Live and learn. A study should be done on the stuff, because that's just plain nuts.
edit on 25-6-2018 by wylekat because: can't type.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
stay away from energy drinks and vodka

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

If this a Benadryl commercial or RED BULL commercial thread? These new marketing techniques are dumb.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Benadryl = C17H21NO

pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...=2D-Structure

Red Bull = Caffeine, Taurine, B-group vitamins and natural sugars

My guess is that the combination of caffeine, taurine, vitamins and natural sugars drove up the metabolism of the Benadryl
Caffeine and sugars will increase blood pressure and intake into the brain. Vitamins and taurine will accelerate enzymes.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Well, there is nothing really special in red bull. Caffeine, sugars, vitamin b and taurine. The taurine has an anxiolytic effect which takes the jitters off the high dose of caffeine, and the vitamin b's can elevate mood.

Can't really see what the interaction was, and even a high dose of an antihistamine like diphenhydramine would have had a more delirious effect.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Cmon man... Everyone knows you're not supposed to mix and downer and an upper. People die like that. I don't mix energy drinks with ANYTHING. They do quite a number on the body by it'self.
edit on 25-6-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

...and even a high dose of an antihistamine like diphenhydramine would have had a more delirious effect.

That's what Benadryl IS...diphenhydramine! That's ALL it is. It's just a trademarked name for diphenhydramine (so you can pay more for it).

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
And probably give you heart murmurs /brain aneurysms.

You'd probably better off with the hard stuff, assuming you're the rare type that can actually control it. Most cant. And they lose.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Cmon man... Everyone knows you're not supposed to mix and downer and an upper. People die like that. I don't mix energy drinks with ANYTHING. They do quite a number on the body by it'self.

Yeah its called a Speed Ball.

Its what kilt that Sublime guy.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
There are many OTC highs that can take you places only for the seasoned explorer.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
There are many OTC highs that can take you places only for the seasoned explorer.

Tell me more o wise one?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

Can't really see what the interaction was, and even a high dose of an antihistamine like diphenhydramine would have had a more delirious effect.

Like I said... I've had both separately. What I experienced was in a league completely by itself with them combined.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Think more like public service message about what not to ingest these days. Unless you like trips to the twilight zone.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

Yes. I'm an idiot. I also did not think in those terms. Red Bull= Sugar beater. Benadryl= everything but the kitchen sink cure all (at least for me). I honestly figured the 2 would cancel each other out to an extent.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I avoid opioids like the plague because of the crap they do to me. They don't take care of the pain, they don't relax my muscles- they drag me behind an alley in Wonderland, beat me up, and take my wallet. This fun made the opioids look like a reasonable side effect.

I think I should find out what OTC stuff does highs like this, so I can keep from repeating this nonsense. My grasp on reality has been going as it is. I don't need help, dangit!

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Benadryl or it's ingredient diphenhydramine 25mg...both are antihistamines clearly labeled w/drowsiness and no driving recommended.

Nearly every "PM" or "sleep aid" has this as the main ingredient over the counter.

Used as a anthistamine for allergies, side effect sleepiness...I have NEVER heard of using it for any kind of pain...and I've been in medical field for 40+ yrs...and have severe back pain as well...

With it's indications, contra-indications, uses, reactions and side effects...it's never prescibed for it because it doesn't work on pain recepters in the brain.

If anything..it will slow you drowsily down as all anti-histamines do...energy drinks with caffeine would definitely counter each other when combined.

If I picked you up in my EMS, I'd ask what you took, how much you took, when and why you took it.

The ER/Urgent care admitting/attending physician would ask ME.."They took WHAT? Together? Why?"

Quite risky together and if some dr.or clinic advised you to take Benadryl or diphenhydramine for pain? Find a different medical professional.

That drug is not indicated for pain other than reliving allergies and sinus discomfort.

I take 1 opiod in early morning and 1 later in afternoon...and have over 20 yrs without a break, and bulging discs and arthritis respond well.

I do take otc diphenhydramine at night to for sleep. Get a correct pain diagnosis and go to a pain mgmnt clinic once you have it.

Careful what you mix...again...I've never heard of histamines or ant-histamines being prescribed for body pain.

MS
EMT/ERT
Advanced Life Support
*(911)
edit on 25-6-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It is the taurine in Red bull that helps with blood sugar. It works to help the cells uptake sugar better and work properly. You can buy the supplements, usually they are about ten bucks for a hundred twenty tablets., I do take one every other days or so. They also help to lower the bad cholesterol.

Benedryl can make you loopy if you take more than one. They utilize the nightshade chemistry. They block acetylcholine and make it so you can't think right. One is plenty, I do have some in the medicine cabinet in case I start to get a reaction from a spider bite or the cats. It is actually certain weeds outside that I have a problem with, the cat allergy is mild, but combined they do get a little overboard occasionally. I only use that if I need it.

Try soup with cabbage in it for the cramps. You can also get hemp based endocanabinoid capsules, that stops the cramps too. A half a teaspoon of yellow mustard also stops the cramping and spasms.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Pro Tip: Don't do that

I would encourage you to explore things that could help with your discomfort though. Different types of pain are dealt with differently. Something like nerve pain simply wont be effectively alleviated the same as a broken bone or a headache.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If Benadryl and Red Bull is drugging yourself into oblivion to you, please stay away from real drugs.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

There is a little known cure all out there and it is called Jenkem.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join