It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Mandela Effect: Betty Davis Eyes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo
a reply to: wylekat

NO DUDE!! that's baby Jame !!! not Betty Davis eyes.. totally not the same song ..

From what I remember of the lyrics, it matches... You're kidding, right?

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   

At work to do this, need to make this short and sweet and let the members shred this like a hungry lion. Here we go...

So I was listening to a electronica version of this song on YT and it was pretty good, i love the song when Rod Steward sang it..so I checked YT and found NOTHING of Rod Stewart singing this song at all on any video I have found.. even on this greatest hits... WAIT....Nope Kim Carnes sang the song...which
I didn't know she did, but it's well doctumented she had indeed came out with the original song.....but WAIT.. hmmmmmm.....So I ask a buddie of mine if he ever remembers Rod Stewart signing Betty Davis Eyes.. he laughed and said .." of course dude.. who doesn't !" ..

So, doing a quick wikipedia check and then did a search for 'Stewart/Stewert, within the subject of Betty Davis Eyes on Wiki.. NADA not a whisper of him ever singing this song .. no credit given even though wiki has multiple listings of other that have sang this song!

Not sure if this is marketing glitch or lazyness but Rod doesn't get even a mention ?? !!!

I did a quick check search for this on ATS under Betty Davis Eys and can't read the garbage links due to it all being in matrix green.. grrrrr... if it has already been posted .. plz post the link ..

Never him sing it..ever. Only Kim...he couldve had it in a performance list though.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

Don't you think it's telling that both Kim Carnes and Rod Stewart have raspy voices? While Kim Carnes' voice has feminine qualities that Stewart's does not, I'd go as far to say that Carnes' voice could be described as a "female Rod Stewart's" voice.

I think that's the root of your confusion.

And "Betty Davis Eyes" is (for the most part) the only thing Kim Carnes is known for. Take that song away from her, and there would be little reason for most people to remember her.

edit on 25/6/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Guuuys it was actually Gwenyth Paltrow.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Nope, I do not recall him ever singing it and I love 80s music and Rod Stewart.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Because every misheard lyric and internet misspelling has become "OMG I'm in an alternate reality!" It has become ridiculous. Some people just can't admit their memory is faulty.

one, .. i never said my memory wasn't faulty .. I know it is .. but i'm not the only one that heard Rod sing this song.. ..

so stop with the mud slinging ..

I always say it isn't "bad" or "faulty" memory per se, but rather it is an effect of completely normal human memory. That is to say, it is perfectly normal for a human's memory to fool them in such a way as to feel the "Mandela Effect".

There is a very good reason that there might be many people to have the same specific incorrect memory of a fact or event, and that reason is that all of us are subjected to the same cultural influences and many of us have similar experiences (similar inputs).

In this case, a lot of people have a general knowledge of Rod Stewart's raspy voice. Kim Carnes also has a very similar raspy voice, and both of them shared some popularity at the exact same time, so it is not surprising at all for someone to confuse that popular Kim Carnes song as being one by Rod Stewart.

Personally, when I read your post I had to look up who sang Betty Davis Eyes to be reminded of it, because I can imagine Rod Stewart's voice singing it. However, when I Saw it was Kim Carnes and after listening to her sing the song on YouTube and being reminded how similar her voice is to Stewart's, I realized why I had a slight confusion about it.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

You only think it was Rod Stewart due to Kim Carnes having the same kind of raspy voice as Rod Stewart.

nailed it

another one to add that may have caused the confusion is that Rod did a lot music written and performed by others.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I can see why you would think that. There is some semblance in his voice but no... Wasn't him. I know because I always hated this song from a young age... lol

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

It was always sung by a female (although I didn't know her name)...never by Rod Stewart.

Also, I curse you and your family for getting that song in my head.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Also, I curse you and your family for getting that song in my head.

There's a cure for that. Just think of the last part of the song "Hey Jude"...

♪♫ Na na na, na-na-na-na, nan-a-na-na, hey-ey Jude ♪♫

I hope this helps

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Welcome to my sh*tlist LOL

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I’m fairly certain rod covered it at some point he may have even done a duo with the original singer. That’s probably where you’re getting confused.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You music taste must be terrible, welcome to my sh*t list

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul
a reply to: SlapMonkey

You music taste must be terrible, welcome to my sh*t list

Nah, I like a bit from everything, even the Beatles. In fact, I sing "Hey Jude" a lot--my point was that now IT was going to be stuck in my head. Soylent knew what they were doing...

I'm mostly a classic rock, 80s and 90s punk, ska, reggae, rap (golden age, not modern crap), and baroque (not classical...there's a difference) kind of guy, with a bit of Disney princess music thrown in for the trips with the 4-year-old.

Classic country is okay at times, too.
edit on 25-6-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I'll go with the "similar voice" route.

FWIW I only remember the Carnes version, the video mainly

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
In my timeline the lyrics are She's Got Betty Grable's Thighs and it's sung by Kim Carne Asada.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
In fact, I sing "Hey Jude" a lot--my point was that now IT was going to be stuck in my head. Soylent knew what they were doing...

Yep, but a double-edge sword, that is.

Tonight when I'm going to bed, I'll end up counting all the "hey judes" in my head, just like counting sheep.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

So I was listening to a electronica version of this song on YT and it was pretty good, i love the song when Rod Steward sang it..so I checked YT and found NOTHING of Rod Stewart...

So, doing a quick wikipedia check and then did a search for 'Stewart/Stewert

is this the mandela effect in action? residue? is his name steward? stewart? stewert? stuuyvesant?

i've seen this kind of thing cited as certain proof elsewhere. sir, i think your timeline is shifting as we speak.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Who woulda thunk it LOLS.......
I Grew up in Detroit and Rod has done many covers. That is all I can say....
edit on 25-6-2018 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2018 by bluemooone2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Great find!!

I remember the video on mtv with Rod singing it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join