It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Mandela Effect: Betty Davis Eyes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

Plenty of videos from that time period. Find one of Rod Stewart singing Bette Davis Eyes. Kim Carnes and Rod Stewart both have raspy voices so I'm not surprised that a lot of people misremember it. Kim carnes wasn't even the first person to release the song. One of the songwriters released it in the 60's first.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Kim Carnes has the same type of coffee and cigarettes voice as Stewart..I think that has caused a mismemory , Stewart never sang that song.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

This one sticks out for me.

edit on 24-6-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
from even a link you, yourself, provided...

Of course, Rod Stewart sings 'Bette Davis Eyes'! Everybody knows this! How my life partner had gone so long without ever even hearing the song was somewhat mystifying to me, so I Googled "Rod Stewart Bette Davis Eyes" so he could hear what I thought was the original cover.

However, it was me getting schooled that day, for as I searched for a singer that never sang that song, it became clear that what I had Shazamed, thinking it was a female singer doing a cover of Rod Stewart's song - was the actual singer the entire time.

Rod Stewart doesn't sing the popular version of Bette Davis Eyes, Kim Carnes does. In fact, she released the song in the spring of 1981.

I grew up hearing this song on the radio I don't know how many times and the general consensus was that it was Rod Stewart. But it was just a common, severe case of mistaken identy.

I know this is a lighthearted post, but perhaps some of you out there know what that indescribable feeling is when you thought you knew truth, reality, and fact with such certainty that you are convinced what you know is accurate information. But then that gets challenged, not by a debate but by a moment of discovery. Where the real truth is indisputable. It can shake you to your core.

This was a life foundational song for me. Believing it was a man singing the song, I remember being a child and thinking that that was what was important to garner a man's attention: being mysterious, having big eyes, yet being too clever would frighten them, despite being enticed. Those were my initial impressions of the lyrics, it was like a warning, "don't be too smart or the boys will think you're a spy." It's a song about using men, but when you think the song is sung by a man, whatever kind of potential female essence of the originating voice is lost to the listener.

It just becomes a song you accept, another brick in the wall of your reality. Nobody educates kids on song lyrics, except maybe when you question your parent on them, but it's going to be tinged by your parent's life perspective or limited knowledge.

So did Rod Stewart sing Bette Davis Eyes?

No.

no.
edit on 24-6-2018 by SummerRain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Similar voice I guess, but I heard that song a billion times as a kid and it was a woman singing it.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Rod Stewart should cover it.

Somebody get me Rod on the phone.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Actually, Bette Davis sang this song, and it was called "Kim Carne's Eyes".

Mandella told me so the other day..........

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Kind of off topic but I found this extremely fascinating. So did my coworkers. Ok, you know the song "Goodbye Horses" is sung by a female? The song made famous by Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs. Totally blew my mind. This was about 3 months ago.

So yes, images of singers we portray in our minds sometimes don't add up. I'm not saying your wrong, only that our minds images alter from reality. In my mind, Q Lazarus was a Brian Ferry looking person. Reality is, the singer is a black female.

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   
He also told me...

Krystal Bale sang..."Dont it make your Blue eyes Brown"...

Dollface Parton sang..."Working 8 to 4"....with a 1/2 hour lunch..

and Bonny Tiler sang...."Its a Tooth ache"....

Smart guy this Mandella character.....

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Wellllllllllll! Kim Carnes didn't originally record it, but her version was a huge hit. Maybe people think back and try to remember who recorded that song and made it famous but can't recall Kim Carnes but do remember the singer had a raspy, smokey Rod Stewart voice and just assume they remember Rod Stewart singing it.
The same kinda thing has happened with "Hard Luck Woman" by KISS. Peter Criss sounded so much like Rod Stewart people thought it was Rod and probably would still be thinking so if KISS hadn't been so well known.
Same thing with ELO and Sweet and a song about Oxygen.
Bette Davis Eyes was never recorded by Rod Stewart.

posted on Jun, 24 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

You must not be the only one out there that remembers Rod Stewart singing that song. A quick search brought up a page that says: Rod Stewart Betty Davis Eyes Lyrics. www.justsomelyrics.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

The webpage is wrong is all. I would say though, if you listen to Kim sing it, you could imagine it's Rod..very simular style and gravely voice.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo
anyone here remember Rod Steward singing this song at all ?.. ..I swear that I remember Rod singing this as well as multiple other people ..

it's not just me ..

ladygodivathenakedtruth.blogspot.com...
www.last.fm...

If a thousand people say it, that doesn't automatically make it right.

There's a name for it, It's called Argumentum ad populum

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

This is my thinking as well, so raspy those voices

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Thanks I thought I was into a new Mandela world for a minute when I read that link( but I dint react to post ).

Goes to prove that some people unintentionally perhaps skew their own reality by rushing.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Sorry dude, you're talking about one of my favourite songs there, as many have pointed out it wasn't Rod. I've also been a dj since 1994 and I love a good cover version, I actively hunt them down if this existed it would be in my collection...

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   

www.last.fm...

All the above shows is a popular query on a webpage, alas no substance.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Kim Carnes and Rod Stewart both had similar 'gravelly' voices.

You just probably were inattentive and made a wrong assumption.

I clearly remember when the song first came out and the big issue was that the famous actress was Bette Davis, not Betty Davis and Bette Davis took offence. Kim Carnes sung it.

edit on 25/6/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I think this is highly appropriate for this situation.

posted on Jun, 25 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Sure it was Dickie Davis eyes

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join