It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon measurements might explain away dark energy (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I found this while i was searching sciencetest are planing to trace the moon's orbit with really good accuracy and it could reveal kink's in Einstein's theory of gravity and also help explain the mysterious accelerating expansion of the universe.

this is the link to the site okay.
www.newscientist.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.spaceref.com...

[edit on 20-2-2005 by Griffin master]

[edit on 20-2-2005 by Griffin master]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Interesting story definetely but you're missing several things on your post including an opinion, a snippet from the story, and any other links to back it up. I think this could be an excellent story, it just needs to be fixed up first. Just offering constructive criticism.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
No really i do believe you are right i should of put that stuff in and for my opinion I believ it i really think they are on to something but einstien(cant spell his name) was really smart so if they can prove it, it will be exciting.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
utu me if you want and I'll try and help you put it together a little more cohesively.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Very interesting info, but yeah, fix up your submission a bit and it will be good to go. Kudos to you for finding this.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I would really appreciate if you guys would u2u me so I can do it right and it will not get rejected I am only 15 thanks.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Glad to see one so young on ATS, curious and eager to learn to question!

What do you need to know, u2u me!

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Long Distance Runaround

From the source article:
"The accelerated universe can be a window of opportunity for understanding the most fundamental aspects of gravitation, and may signal the modification of standard laws of gravity at very large distances," Dvali told an audience at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Washington DC.

This is a very interesting proposition. It will become even more interesting if they should manage to develop some formulas that will predict this effect and confirm them by means of this type of observation.

Cool stuff, indeed.

Dude, Where's My Mirrors?

From the source article:
The scheme to measure the Moon's orbit involves firing a laser beam at mirrors left on the surface by the Apollo 11 astronauts and measuring the time it takes for photons to return. This makes it possible to trace the lunar orbit and, so far, astronomers have used the technique to track it with an accuracy of a few centimetres.

Ha ha, the joke will be on them, because there are no mirrors, because as everyone knows, we never landed on the moon.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I need applause , I am having a hard time getting anything submitted, I want to get something from the ATS store, can you applaud me?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I don't think we landed on the moon either. I remember my mom and myself watching a show where the flag was moving and alas ther is gravity on the moon so how in the world would it move back and forth. I think it was a ploy by the government!

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This thread isn't about the Moon landing being a hoax. There are plenty of threads debunking that already here on ATS, so stay on topic, please. If you wish to talk about that, try the search function

Also, you can't just ask for applause. Only mods and higher can give them out. It's a subjective judgement of your post, and generally only quality posts are given applause.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Biting My Tongue

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
This thread isn't about the Moon landing being a hoax.

Sorry! For those who didn't get it, I was totally joking about that, and I'm somewhat regretful that poor cmdrkeenkid had to actually point that out.

My point was that things like the use of these mirrors shoots a pretty big hole in some aging and sacred conspiracy cattle.

The alleged moon landing hoax is a hoary old chestnut of debunked conspiracy theory that some people just can't let go of (including me, it seems).

Sorry for the digression.

The Holy Grail

The actual topic of this thread is indeed far more interesting than Capricorn One script rip-offs.

It is possible that this line of research may reveal previously unknown characteristics of gravity that would explain the phenomena tentatively attributed to "dark energy" (that being a fancy term for "we don't know what the hell is causing this to happen").

I recommend staying tuned as stories such as these develop, because this is one of the great unknown frontiers of modern physics -- and I suspect that what we learn from it will turn the existing body of knowledge on its ear.

It may also lead to technologies that exploit new knowledge of gravity's properties, and I'm sure everyone can agree that such technologies would have extremely exciting potential.

So this could end up being something very big.

Maybe.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Oh, yeah if something is discovered from this it surely will be huge. I don't really know how a discovery could lead to ways to exploit gravity to our advantage though. If anything it would just lead to a better understanding of our universe.

As for snapping about the Moon landing hoax comment, I just wanted to nip it in the butt before a quality thread turned into the same old arguements (which can happen in a surprisingly short amount of time.)

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Cart/Horse Sequencing

Oh, yeah if something is discovered from this it surely will be huge. I don't really know how a discovery could lead to ways to exploit gravity to our advantage though. If anything it would just lead to a better understanding of our universe.

Still way too early to know, that's for sure. However, understanding a principle is the first necessary step toward developing technology to exploit it, and the potential is there as long as people keep looking for answers.

Topical Topology

As for snapping about the Moon landing hoax comment, I just wanted to nip it in the butt before a quality thread turned into the same old arguements (which can happen in a surprisingly short amount of time.)

Been there, seen it, (and, shamefully) done that.

I really need to watch my sense of humor sometimes, because there's always that one guy...

Still, I can't resist a chance to say "In your face, moon landing hoaxers!"

top topics

join