It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lasers are targeting American aircraft in the Western Pacific/East China Sea

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Since September of last year, 20 incidents of low power, blinding lasers targeting American aircraft have taken place in the western Pacific Ocean(1). The most recent incident was just two weeks ago. These mostly seem to take place near or around the Senkaku Islands.

This is very similar to the laser harassment in Djibouti(2), where blinding lasers were used on US aircraft landing at the American facility there. This is almost certainly the Chinese (5 nines certainty) and it seems the lasers are being used much like bumping used to be done between American and Soviet ships during the Cold War and the, uh, aggressive intercepts of observation aircraft.

However, these attacks different from Djibouti because they seem to be coming from multiple sources, at least some, perhaps all from the 'Little Blue Militia,' paramilitary ships the Chinese use not unlike the Russians do their 'Little Green Men.' They are something less than a navy and more...aggressive than a coast guard.

There were glasses developed back in the 90s to deal with blinding lasers for the infantry as part of the nonlethal weapons tech, but the materials might not have panned out or might not have been worthwhile in the largely militarily unopposed Pax Americana of the time. Likewise, the materials may not be a good idea to use for cockpit glass or may be too expensive to deploy broadly.

Something will have to be done about the harassment though. It could potentially lead to a loss of an aircraft and probably will lead to wounding the aircraft crews.

1. www.cnn.com...

2. www.washingtonpost.com...
edit on 22-6-2018 by anzha because: spelling correction. i kin speel reil gud.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Chinese pilots never have to worry about potentially being blinded by lasers off the coast of Western America...

first world bully problems.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

If you have a source that states the Chinese pilots have been hit, I'd seriously like to see it.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
So, the people there got new toys for the Chinese new year from working in the factory making lasers. They are playing with them, after all it is the only bonus they got.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Maybe US should stop spying on them!
US is a bully.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Isn't it funny, that when Russia and China do the exact same thing, it's perfectly fine, and somehow the fault of the US for them doing it.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Wouldn't the Senkaku Islands incidents point to Japanese perpetrators rather than Chinese?

The Senkaku Islands are controlled by Japan and are of interest due to undersea oil reserves.

China disputes the ownership of the islands but Japan has been maintaining coast guard patrols over the area and has nationalized three of the islands.

Japan plans population push to secure remote islands - 2017 report in the Financial Times.

Perhaps the Japanese inhabitants are shining lasers at any and all aircraft, in an effort to deter them from entering their airspace?

edit on 22/6/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

The Chinese have a lot of the Little Blue Militia sailing near there. It's part of what helped secure the South China Sea's atolls. They are repeating in the East China Sea. Japan playing that game would get them in deep shbt and they know it. A game like that can't be hidden for too long and the consequences for Japan...

Plus you add in the incidents at Djibouti...

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Ahh yes, isnt it cute when the little one eyed Trolls come out to play?

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I seem to remember the Soviets dazzling a navy helo (iirc) and one of the crew suffered partial blindness. I seem to remember a contrevrsy about his service injury as the government didn’t want to advertise and have to respond to the action.

ETA: Well I wasn’t too far off en.m.wikipedia.org... was a Canadian helo and happened later than I thought it was a Tussian ship not soviet I was thinking it was a cold war dust up.
edit on 6/22/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: odzeandennz

If you have a source that states the Chinese pilots have been hit, I'd seriously like to see it.

mentalist...

right over your head... and the star givers.
good.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Isn't it funny, that when Russia and China do the exact same thing, it's perfectly fine, and somehow the fault of the US for them doing it.

how many Chinese and russian aircrafts flying near American shores

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Why don't they put little a little shelf on the front of airplanes to block lasers? At 35 thousand feet and the cockpit window angle to the ground, it shouldn't need to stick out more than a inch or two. Of course it would lose effectivity while landing.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Shine more powerful lasers back.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79
Why don't they put little a little shelf on the front of airplanes to block lasers? At 35 thousand feet and the cockpit window angle to the ground, it shouldn't need to stick out more than a inch or two. Of course it would lose effectivity while landing.
Not that simple would kill aerodynamics and your proposed method would not be able to block off axis dazzling. An extra protective pull down lens would be the easiest and cheapest solution. Not to mention dazzling not only effects the Mk. 1 eyeball but targeting and designation systems which is there intended purpose until a friendly Russian or Chinese person decides to dazzle the cockpit and crew.

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

The Western Pacific.

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

Do you know where the Western Pacific is?

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

They should just put their helmets on backwards, problem solved.

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Guys leave China alone, they're cool now.
Come on now, wtf, be nice to China.

Dear China,
I love you and I think your lasers are really awesome.
We know you are just having fun and we like to have fun as well.
Have happy time thank you kind Sirs

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Stop victim blaming. We don't need to tell American pilots where to and not to fly, we need to teach Chinese people not to point lasers!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join