It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK digital minister considering measures to restrict anonymity online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Came across this. I hope this is the right place for it. While this is specific to the UK this would have drastic effects on websites like ATS and the internet in general. I don't even understand how some of what they want to do would even be enforceable.

www.politico.eu...

LONDON — The U.K. government is considering limiting people’s anonymity online as part of a drive to clean up the internet — a change that could upend the social media landscape as we know it.

Digital Minister Margot James said the freedom to be anonymous has been abused in “such a substantial way, with such damaging effects,” referring to the volume of racism, anti-Semitism and bullying across the internet, that curbs are being considered as part of the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport’s online safety proposals due to be published later this year.

A proposed code of practice, which could be underpinned by legislation, is likely to break down “what is and isn’t acceptable online."

A couple excerpts from their proposal:

We believe that it is right for Government to set out clear standards for social media
platforms, and to hold them to account if they fail to live up to these.

Online platforms need to take responsibility for the content they host. They need to
proactively tackle harmful behaviours and content. Progress has been made in removing
illegal content, particularly terrorist material, but more needs to be done to reduce the
amount of damaging content online, legal and illegal.

The Green Paper asked for views on a social media levy that would support greater public
awareness of online safety and enable preventative measures to counter internet harms,
including both new initiatives and existing programmes.

The code is intended to make it easier for people to report bullying content by providing
guidance to social media providers as to policies they should have in place for removing this
content. The Digital Economy Act 2017 section 103 sets out that the code of practice should
only cover conduct which is directed towards an individual. However, we have set out
additional guidance, not required under section 103, stating that the code of practice should
also apply to conduct directed at groups and businesses, as users can be upset by content
even if it’s not directed towards them individually.
Examples of online bullying that will be addressed by the code include, but are not limited to:
• Threats of harm made to individual(s);
• Threats to share images (‘outing’);
• Impersonation;
• Posting personal information including information that can locate an individual(s);
• Posting text or images to bully, insult, intimidate or humiliate an individual(s);
• Posting an image of the individual(s) used without consent;
• Posting false information about someone;
• Nasty or upsetting comments;
• Sending repeated unwanted messages to an individual(s);
• Trolling - deliberately offensive or provocative online posts;
• Flaming - brief, heated exchange between two or more people;
• Dog-piling - where large communities of people target abuse at a single individual.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Not gonna Lie I routinely troll British Social Media platforms as I know that free speech makes Brits explode internally. It's fun.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Articles 11 and 13 being pushed by the EU won't just effect the EU but change the internet as we know it globally. Do you think the Corporations will just change things for the EU?

Imagine asking someone who makes a post on ATS for a link. They will not be able too without being taxed for doing so.

This is what happens when you allow your elected officials to hand over their authority to govern to a bunch of globalist tyrants.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
Not gonna Lie I routinely troll British Social Media platforms as I know that free speech makes Brits explode internally. It's fun.

lol. now they can even write a come back to that sly remark.

the UK seems to be close to imploding.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennzthe UK seems to be close to imploding.

from where i'm sitting it increasingly resembles an animated corpse.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Someone needs to build a better Internet .... Since when do we just have to accept (1) choice ? Where are the innovators ? Where are the visionaries ?

It isn't called the World Wide Web for no reason .... seems like there is no escape from it.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Oh, the UK... What a great place to live!

You can't have anything to defend yourself, even knifes are not allowed anymore.

Now you can't have privacy in the internet...

I wonder what's coming next.

Microchippin and tracking its residents?

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Uh, this is an extremely complex topic but yea, anonymity as we have known it on the internet will become a thing of the past. The EU is going that way and it will be driven in part by the adoption of biometrically authenticated RFID chipped Identity Card which, when issued, will contain a discreet numeric code identifyer for each holder. To access the internet the code, which identifies the person logging onto the internet, would first need be input in order to logon.

One of the things making this possible is blockchain technology which will make the system unhackable.

Right now, because of the huge footprint of e-commerce across the globe, the EU is setting the standards, forcing internet businesses, social networks, etc. to come into compliance in order to maintain their business footprint in the EU zone.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What the globalists really fear is truth and the www has become their greatest threat. They will have a cruel world government or wreck the world trying. One of those scenarios will happen. In the meantime, however, eff 'em I say.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

i often think i want to, but i worry about all those klinton suiciders. lol.
i complain and gripe on the media twitters, especially reporters.

i say, 'when you were growing up, did you dream of spreading propaganda?'

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I kinda think it is a good idea, I'm not fussed if anyone knew my real name and I stand by everything I say and do online.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

UK digital minister

Didn't know he even existed , guess he has to do something to earn his ministerial pay.
This is a green paper which means it's nothing but a proposal , it has a long way to go through both chambers before it even gets close to being a law and is unlikely to do so unopposed.

a reply to: vinifalou

Now you can't have privacy in the internet...

You think you have privacy on the internet in the US ?

Microchippin and tracking its residents?

If you own a phone you are already micro chipped and tagged.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
They can get me after going past my 7 proxies.

If I was wanting to post some seriously nasty crapola then I'd use stuff to make sure it would have zero return but given there are ways of linking people and posts due to more technical stuff like style and lingustical analysis and deep probing your history etc to narrow you down.

But if the police fancy questioning me that should come with a free drop off so I can visit my mum or the local supermarket to fetch a few things.

new topics

top topics

join