It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einstein@home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
In the never ending quest for scientists to find ways to use that untapped power of your home PC, a new @home program is being released. Einstien@home will be a new program desinged to search the universe for elusive gravitational waves. Using US and European gravitational wave detectors the program will utilize the home pc to crunch the data collected. Joining an ever growing group of @home programs, this new project will now let the home user help to advance astrophysics research.

www.physorg.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Its the same like SETI@home isn´t it?

I dont like these kind of programs, It could contain spyware..but its for a good cause..

best wishes

dc

[edit on 20-2-2005 by dacruz]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I doubt it will contain any spyware as that would seriously discourage wide spread use. I still can't figure out the benefits of discovering gravity waves though. I mean it would be a great find in the field of astrophysics but will it hold any benefits for the common man? SETI and, especially, Folding will obviously have some benefit but how will this prove helpful? Will this in any way help us better understand and hopefuly master gravity?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I was part of the beta testing for it and there is no spyware in it because it uses BOINC to run which only gives it information about the computer (CPU speed etc) to allocate the correct amount of points on completion of a run

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by skychief
I doubt it will contain any spyware as that would seriously discourage wide spread use. I still can't figure out the benefits of discovering gravity waves though. I mean it would be a great find in the field of astrophysics but will it hold any benefits for the common man? SETI and, especially, Folding will obviously have some benefit but how will this prove helpful? Will this in any way help us better understand and hopefuly master gravity?

You betcha! It could also confirm or refute the so called "Hi Frequency Gravitational waves" phenomenon.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by skychief

You betcha! It could also confirm or refute the so called "Hi Frequency Gravitational waves" phenomenon. Proving einstien right or wrong in certain aspects will have applications for the common man. Without E=MC2 well we wouldn't have alot of things today that we take for granted, so any new insight into how the universe works could reveal loopholes and quirks that we might be able to take advantage of. If we somehow master gravity, who knows what will be possible with that knowledge. Knowledge = Power.

top topics

join