It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. military may house immigrant children as Trump policy beset by confusion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+39 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

WASHINGTON/MCALLEN, Texas (Reuters) - The U.S. military has been asked to get ready to house up to 20,000 immigrant children, officials said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump’s efforts to roll back a widely condemned policy of separating children from their parents were beset by confusion.

While no decision has been made, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has already assessed three military bases in Texas and would review another in Arkansas, Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said.

It seems the government is getting ready for a ramp up the detention of children, despite the rhetoric that it is against it. The current figures that sparked world-wide outrage have hovered around 2,300 children, while today's request to the military asks for the capability to house over 20,000 children.

Trump and his administration have faced fierce criticism in recent weeks for separating more than 2,300 children from their families in order to prosecute their parents for crossing the border illegally.

Video footage of children sitting in cages and an audiotape of wailing children sparked worldwide anger.

Trump backed down on Wednesday, signing an executive order to keep families together in detention during immigration proceedings.

The military will have no problem with this, the Pentagon will not lead the effort but will help out, as Mattis says in the interview.

The military has been asked to house refugees before, to house victims of natural disasters and so on, so the issue is not the military being asked to step in and help out -- the issue is that that they have to. The situation is apparently going to escalate despite the manufactured compassion for the families affected, and the number of detained and separated children could increase by ten fold.

Not surprisingly, the infighting continues today as even the single party in power is torn apart by this recent scandal.

Mike Coffman, a Republican in the House of Representatives, called on Trump on Thursday to fire senior White House adviser Stephen Miller, who has pushed for a hardline approach to immigration.

“This is a human rights mess. It is on the President to clean it up and fire the people responsible for making it,” Coffman said.

Trump could face renewed criticism if thousands of immigrant children are soon sent to be housed on military bases.

Reuters

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
that's a boatload of kids let me guess the majority of them came alone right??

this situation is being reinforced by the Democrats and Republican globalist and we need to put our damn foot down

no more time for feel good BS this crap needs to end, I'm not paying to raise the rest of the worlds kids, don't have kids and send them to us

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

They really need to set these kids free. No more locking up kids!!!!

Let them loose by themselves on the streets of America where they belong!

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Since when has my country become a dam day care center?The NWO/Leftists are to blame for this.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

you must be an evil person you better raise the rest of the worlds kids

the best part is the people who advocate the harshest for these kids are also the pro abortion crowd

COMEDY GOLD
edit on 21-6-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

I don't know, the article doesn't get into that and the point of the article is that nobody knows what's going on, hence their emphasis on confusion.

Are these children already detained and we're being fed fake news in order to cover up the scale of this? Or is the government going to continue with the same policies and just keep pushing off the vote for reform?

Either way, it smells very fishy, doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Lots of cattle cars and buses, ship them all back and build that damned wall FFS's.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   
If they end up staying in america, a decent portion of these kids will end up on military bases in about 12 years. I guess atleast this way they have a chance to see what living in #ty asbestos filled barracks is like before hand.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Either way, it smells very fishy, doesn't it?

If that many kids are showing up unaccompanied--which youre linked article specified--what would you suggest?

What smells fishy is all the virtue signaling. Do you have any idea how vulnerable unaccompanied kids are to coyotes and trafficking? If you don't, why don't you? Hard to buy all the faux outrage as it's VERY selective---can you smell that?

edit on 22-6-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   
As a former military man myself, I can tell you right now.

If need be, whever the situation calls, we can set up the tents, mess hall, and any other crap we need with air conditioning and proper guard detail OVER NIGHT.

I dont want kids separated, but I dont want people running free and wild either.

Theres no reason why we cant set up living situations like they had for us when I served in Desert Storm.

And if that doesnt satisfy the liberal left, then by god they can get bent, if it was good enough for us THEN and NOW to fight wars for over 20 years then by god its good enough for people who came here illegally, and we are taking care of.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is good news.
Almost as good as seeing how easy it is to get trump to crumble. He’s such a flake.
Poor guy just wants to be liked by everyone so badly that he’ll even pretend to be some kind of conservative.
Oh well, poor guy. What can you do?

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I don't know, the article doesn't get into that and the point of the article is that nobody knows what's going on, hence their emphasis on confusion.

Yes it does get into that. Dang you are so uninformed and full of hate that all you were looking for was anything that slammed Trump and missed the whole point of the request.

From your linked article:

She said HHS had asked the Pentagon “to determine its capabilities to provide up to 20,000 temporary beds for unaccompanied alien children” at military installations.”

See the word "unaccompanied" there now? You blew your hate thread by your own ignorance.

You should own it.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   
More from Reuters, it seems the lawsuits will continue despite the executive order, as it seen as too broadly written and leaving to much wiggle room to continue undeterred.

Despite Trump’s order, the American Civil Liberties Union said it would press on with a lawsuit arguing the family separation policy violated the Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which holds no person can be deprived of life, liberty or property without due process.

This article I'm linking below is different but just came out. I don't want to make two threads and it's similar enough, I'll just leave it here.

U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee in Los Angeles, who oversees the Flores settlement, rejected a similar argument by President Barack Obama’s administration in 2015 to extend detentions of families. Republican President George W. Bush and Democrat Obama both increased prosecutions at the border, but this did not lead to family separations because border officials used discretion and did not refer parents for prosecution.

Congress could also supersede Flores at any time by passing a bill that lays out a legal framework for immigrant families crossing the border, Harris said. She said such a law would probably face a swift challenge under the Fifth Amendment.

The U.S. Supreme Court has held the Fifth Amendment applies to non-U.S. citizens and covers family unity.

Reuters

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

Yes it does get into that. Dang you are so uniformed and full of hate all you were looking for was anything that slammed Trump and missed the whole point of the request.

From your linked article:

She said HHS had asked the Pentagon “to determine its capabilities to provide up to 20,000 temporary beds for unaccompanied alien children” at military installations.”

See the word "unaccompanied" there now? You blew your hate thread by your own ignorance.

You should own it.

You do realize what toys asked? How did they get here? Were they alone?

We still don't know that, but the concerning thing is they will be detained 'unaccompanied' apparently, regardless of how they got here. Despite the government promises. *shakes head*

Edit: I changed my comment to be more polite. I realize your agenda here and I will not be part to it, but I can choose to be more polite. Join the topic or be excluded in my comments.

edit on 22-6-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

ETA: Hard to answer you when you totally changed your last comment. But you obviously are doing some gymnastics with the word "unaccompanied."

I'll let toy straighten you out the rest of the way if he cares to.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   

That was directly on topic. You mucked up the topic facts. You got corrected. Now you're enlightened too. See...I share. You're welcome.

It's late for kid games. Please re-read what toysforadults asked and what I replied to. You missed that whole interaction in order to attack me and derail the thread.

Anything to add to this topic?

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Lots of cattle cars and buses, ship them all back and build that damned wall FFS's.

Cheers - Dave

I suggested that but someone debated me and said the wall wouldn't work. When I questioned as to why it wouldn't work his response was that because people will still really want to come in and figure out how to get around the wall. When I rebutted his statement with logical reasoning about how we could prevent that, he responded with yeah but the wall will not work. So there we are.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   

You derailed your own thread and premise by totally missing that the request to the Pentagon was because of the ever-increasing numbers of unaccompanied children.

You're either being disingenuous or your reading comprehension needs work.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   

It seems the government is getting ready for a ramp up the detention of children, despite the rhetoric that it is against it.

Explain why the military, which is extremely good at this kind of logistical nightmare, is a ramp-up of child detention?

Where would you rather these kids be? With the traffickers who brought them here?

The current figures that sparked world-wide outrage have hovered around 2,300 children, while today's request to the military asks for the capability to house over 20,000 children.

Shouldn't this be your first god damned clue about the circumstances that brought them here?

From the article:

Trump backed down on Wednesday, signing an executive order to keep families together in detention during immigration proceedings.

Trump repeatedly asked for legislation and got nothing but blow-hard hyperbole and hysteria in return. So he had to issue an EO to fix the mess previous admins created.

The military has been asked to house refugees before, to house victims of natural disasters and so on, so the issue is not the military being asked to step in and help out -- the issue is that that they have to.

Once again, this should tell you what the real problem is. And it isn't the leftist propaganda that Trump and the Border Patrol are abusing kids.

Liberals and their bull# open border policy created this mess and now that there's actually an adult cleaning up the mess suddenly there's outrage. What utter twaddle.

The situation is apparently going to escalate despite the manufactured compassion for the families affected, and the number of detained and separated children could increase by ten fold.

"Manufactured compassion for the families affected".

20k children and over 80 percent of them are unaccompanied:
70,000 Kids Will Show Up Alone at Our Border This Year. What Happens to Them?

When the Border Patrol caught Adrián a week later in the Arizona desert—he’d ditched the pot at a drop point along the way—he became one of the 38,833 unaccompanied minors apprehended by the Border Patrol in fiscal year 2013. That was a 59 percent jump from the year before, and a 142 percent increase from fiscal 2011; no one knows how many more kids avoided Border Patrol detection, or never got that far. This year, officials have told advocates they anticipate the numbers to double again, to as many as 74,000 unaccompanied children.*

Where the # is the Dems compassion for these kids? This article is from 2014.

What else was happening in 2014?

Did the Obama Administration Place Immigrant Children With Human Traffickers?

A congressional report and criminal indictment resulted from a 2014 incident in which multiple immigrant children were handed off to a human trafficking ring.

The answer is yes, yes they did.

From your source article:

“This is a human rights mess. It is on the President to clean it up and fire the people responsible for making it,” Coffman said.

We fired them in November of 2016.

Hopefully we'll start jailing the people responsible for creating this cluster#.

edit on 22 6 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:55 AM
link   

You derailed your own thread and premise by totally missing that the request to the Pentagon was because of the ever-increasing numbers of unaccompanied children.

You're either being disingenuous or your reading comprehension needs work.

GUT, I'm gonna try to be very nice here so please take my tone as such, I don't mean you any ill. You are still, however, missing the point -- whether that is intentional or not.

Toysforadults asked how the kids got here. We can assume how they got here but we do not know and the article does not get into it. What it does get into is that up to 20,000 will be held unaccompanied. That is the concerning thing here. The government is passing executive orders, trying to make it look like there is compassion there, and then continuing on with the same shameful policies.

You seem to be focusing on me saying that I don't know how these kids came here and that is apparently supposed to diminish their separation and detention. I don't know how they got here -- call me ignorant, but if anyone here says they do know how they got here, you can call them a liar. This article does not cover that... it does cover the request for 20,000 more children to be housed, which I covered in the OP.

Thanks for reading.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join