It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nazi Peril

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

Fair enough, I should have called them out, and I suppose I am not help.

Either way, both terms are just as bad in society when dealing with a debate.

It desensitizes everyone to the gravity of each events, and takes away from the victims.

As for sides, what sides are there on this one? Nazi vs USSR? What's worse, killing your neighbors kids or killing your own?

I agree with OP (not Trump, but OP's point). I don't do identity or partisan politics. I look at issues. Lately Nazi has been thrown out too frequently, I'll even say by both sides.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. It was the label "sexist" or "racist" right before that, but then that began to lose it's purchasing power for labeling power due to overuse. What's the next thing? Fascist or Nazi!

But yes, not only is it being way overused and misapplied to opposing sides, it's also dangerous as you say in that history shows that dehumanizing "the other" is one of the first steps in justifying radical action or even violence.

Right now the political and social discourse is becoming so toxic that I for the first time in a decade don't really want to participate excepting with close friends I trust are reasonable and able to have calm discussions.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I agree that it's silly to call others Nazis though I do understand the sentiment, however wrong, because nowadays this is about families and children being separated and put in detention camps (some read that as concentration camp). George Takei compared it to the Japanese internment camps I believe.

Also on first page I pointed out the OP's hypocrisy for calling me and others un-American. That dehumanizes me and others as well.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Wasn't it OK, just a few months ago, to walk up to a Nazi, or even a suspected one, and cold cock him? I had several people right here on ATS tell me so.

All in the name of peace and friendship, of course. I still haven't quite figured out how cold cocking someone because they might be a Nazi leads to peace and friendship...

The names are all the for the same reason. Denigrate. Demonize. Dehumanize. Kinda like the Nazi's themselves did, and do...only, instead of Jews, or Communists, it's Conservatives, or Liberals. If you're not with us, you're a Nazi. You're Hitler, which, I suppose, amounts to the same thing...duh.

This is where I say, Mea Culpa... I allowed my personal dislike of Trump to color my rhetoric during the election runup...and words approaching Nazi/Hitler like expressions found their way to the screen. I've tried to avoid such things since, as I was rather embarrassed by them...

But, yep, the words do get bandied about quite a lot. To the point of absurdity. There's way too much animosity goin' around for us all to be Nazi's...and I think, as a group, or groups, we've all been called Nazi's by someone.

I'm tired of it, how 'bout the rest of you??

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
So ... it's bad to call folks "Nazi" then... because they're not Nazis.

Fair enough, a bit tautological as most basic statements go.

Is it fine to call folks "Communists" too? Or "leftists"?

The problem in use of any of these terms is that you stop dealing with others as individuals, but instead, you use short-hand to imply, for example that anyone who tends liberal or Democrat or leftist or Progressive are all just the same as ANTIFA.

None of you see an issue with this in terms of the OP?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I recently wrote a post called, "The question people are not asking of Mexico"

It was recently closed for review after another member complained, and probably wrote this on that post.

"Perhaps your question should be how your dear leader is pandering to your biggest fears (a more brown America), your biggest prejudices (a non-white taking over your job, 'cause well, let's face it, you probably were quite bad at it) and your innermost core (yeah, it's ok, you can take off the PC mask and accept that you are actually a racist) to play you as a flute." (rant continues)

Now here is the most hilarious part, this person incorrectly assumed I am a white and male. He's wrong I'm neither. So yeah, people will call you a Nazi or something similar if your political beliefs and views do not match theirs. It's pathetic and if anything it's their views that are Nazi like!

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean
a reply to: JAY1980

Read Strongfp's post above. It's scary how many people actually believe that Nazi Germany was left-wing.

Anyway this is going off-topic.

See its happened already. Many people dont even know what Nazi Germany was; they try to fit it into their small minded understanding of a two dimensional current left/right paradigm and see it in the face of their ordinary opposition for political expediency

They fail to understand that the start of Nazi Germany fits in the middle of their two dimensional left/right ... that's why the left always sees it to the right, while the right sees it to the left ... it's not that Nazi Germany was extremely conservative or extremely liberal... they where an ordinary middle of the road society that became extremely totalitarian for various reasons... on the two dimensional current left/right paradigm that would be like extremely up or down (with the other polar region being extream decentralisation of power).

So here you have people arguing how "Nazi Germany" is in the other guys camp and they dont realize it's a specter over their own shoulder.
edit on 21-6-2018 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Lumenari

I will sign the wall!...or bathroom stall.

Is that you, Seabass?! Bigly, bad idea

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
We can't even decide around here what "left" and "right" really mean ... which should tell us something.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Hehe.

Little throwback.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Good post and I think very true at least for me. If I post here on ATS and it has an undertone of displeasure, it's 99.9% of the time directed to someone that's insulting myself or another forum member. I'm personally getting tired of cowards insulting people just because they think they can. The people on this forum calling people nazi's, trumptards, etc... are exactly that, cowards and I have zero respect for them. They hide behind their keyboards trolling because they know there are no physical repercussions. They would never have the balls to do it to anyone's face and if they did start insulting me personally in the flesh, they're probably not going to like my response. I have thick skin but I'm sick of these cowardly punks who have absolutely nothing to say but hateful blah, blah, blah.

I will though, debate anyone with a different opinion all day long, then sit with them and buy 'em a beer afterwards as long as it's a civil discussion. People need to start letting common sense and rationality prevail. No one wants to even try and understand you if you're slinging insults at them and it's a good possibility that you're going to get your ass kicked in the process, if you're in their face.

So yeah, to the morons instigating this nazi BS, keep it up and you will eventually get what you deserve. People are really getting sick of you and quickly.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
We can't even decide around here what "left" and "right" really mean ... which should tell us something.

You know what's strange? Plenty of people on the left do know what they mean. Apparently some on the right (examples right here in this thread) don't.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I agree that it's silly to call others Nazis though I do understand the sentiment, however wrong, because nowadays this is about families and children being separated and put in detention camps (some read that as concentration camp). George Takei compared it to the Japanese internment camps I believe.

Also on first page I pointed out the OP's hypocrisy for calling me and others un-American. That dehumanizes me and others as well.

Well all of it is ad hominem, which is logical fallacy. There are better arguments to be had.

One would be Trump is an obvious dick. He did this not to baby step to genocide, but because if he outrages people he gets to force negotiation with lawmakers and when they come to the bargaining table, any compromise will work in his favor.

That's not saying he's playing "4d chess", it's just been obvious tactics of a business man in office. It also makes the idea he plays Nixon like politics merrit (unpredictable and balls out).

That being said, un-American isn't dehumanizing. I can get myself called un-American real quick for being American (a free speaking individual who picks my own ideology).

If you really wanted to compare America to nazi Germany you would compare how many they killed to how many we have since then (every failed war with sovereign states who didn't attack us).

But that was a combination of leaders, so no president gets the Hitler or nazi badge, they all just suck... All of them.
edit on 21-6-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: DBCowboy
There is a danger in society when you dehumanize your opponent to such a degree that violence against the target is not only acceptable, but encouraged.

I absolutely agree. Let's stop dehumanizing people. All of us.

Advocating violence against others because of racial, sexual, or any other prejudice is a hate crime.

Let's all stand against all hate crime.

I'm good with that.

Well, conditionally, I mean...

As long as the President of the United States is included.

Please select your answer below.
a. Absolutely
b. No freaking way
c. I dunno. Maybe?
d. No way. DJT doesn't count. He's the Devil.
e. I decline to answer the question on the grounds that I might incriminate myself.
f. (cough, cough) I'm sorry, I don't recall. (cough, cough)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I agree that it's silly to call others Nazis though I do understand the sentiment, however wrong, because nowadays this is about families and children being separated and put in detention camps

Nowadays? Dude this fuss has been going on for barely a couple weeks lol.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

When you act like one, yeah ...

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I agree that it's silly to call others Nazis though I do understand the sentiment, however wrong, because nowadays this is about families and children being separated and put in detention camps

Nowadays? Dude this fuss has been going on for barely a couple weeks lol.

Oh I know that. But it's in vogue right now to call people Nazis because they don't care about the separation of families and children.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Dane Cook, whatever happened to that guy?!? Maybe I’m in the minority, but I liked his material. I caught Nick Swardson this past Sunday night and he has a new bit about public bathrooms...I won’t ruin it for you, but it’s epic.

Sorry for derailing (more low-brow, bathroom humor) OP, but you’ve got a healthy sense of humor:

No, the above is old material...new stuff is coming out in November, allegedly.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

No one likes the Nazi's. No one. Except other Nazi's

Funny because, supposedly some of them are "fine people"

edit on 21-6-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

I was just thinking the same thing. No idea, he was everywhere then poof.

Comedians aren't having the best light cast on them lately though. =(

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join