It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Study Points to 'Sixth Sense'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Researchers at Washington University in St. Louis have evidence that points toward the existence of the elusive 'sixth sense.' This refers to the intuitive early warning systems that some animal and humans seem to exhibit in the face of impending danger.

Brain study points to 'sixth sense'
Following the Asian tsunami, scientists struggled to explain reports that primitive aboriginal tribesmen had somehow sensed the impending danger in time to join wild animals in a life-saving flight to higher ground. A new theory suggests that the anterior cingulate cortex, described by some scientists as part of the brain's "oops" center, may actually function as an early warning system -- one that works at a subconscious level to help us recognize and avoid high-risk situations.

While some scientists discount the existence of a sixth sense for danger, new research from Washington University in St. Louis has identified a brain region that clearly acts as an early warning system -- one that monitors environmental cues, weighs possible consequences and helps us adjust our behavior to avoid dangerous situations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ideas about the nature of the 'Sixth Sense' range from extra sharp intuition to true foretelling of the future. Current research of the concept may be narrowing the definition. It may even open the door to a wider acceptance of the existence of other 'psi' abilities such as telepathy, clairvoyance, and precognition. Studies conducted since the 1960s have resulted in tantalizing, if inconclusive, glimpses into this controversial topic. We may be on the verge of a breakthrough.

Related News Links
Brain Region May Act as 'Sixth' Sense

Related ATS/BTS Discussions
Sixth Sense
Animals Confirmed To Have a Sixth Sense
www.belowtopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> animals knew the water was coming!

[edit on 20-2-2005 by Spectre]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
An interesting find. Here is a link to the original article quoted.

news-info.wustl.edu...

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
This is some interesting stuff, great find Spectre

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This is actaully true. ONe time while working at a sporting goods store I was playing around with a scope, and sighted on a man who had his back to me about 100 yards away down an aisle. Suddenly he whipped his head around and stared right at me.

takes some training to be able to use it, but it exists

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Neat Article, Neat Topic

Kudos to Spectre for posting it.

Personally, I don't see any reasonable basis for cynicism in the face of this evidence.

The human mind is already known to be complex, and is known to be the central processor for all sensory receptors in the human body.

That the human mind analyzes sensory input and responds to it is essentially what defines it as the human mind.

So why should evidence suggesting that the human mind recognizes and responds to known danger signals be controversial at all?

Of course, on the other hand, what if this is more than just pattern recognition, and evidence of a genuine and distinct "sixth sense"?

And that's the $64,000 question in this case, and one which this study raises, but does not answer.

Again, excellent topic.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Many of us "know" there is a sixth sense.....but you have those people that have to have "scientific" proof, which slaps those doubters in the face....thanks for posting!

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
aboriginal tribesmen are one of the most intresting people of the world I think you should read up on some of their folklore hehe pretty kewl stuff wish I had a link to give you guys atm but I dont =(

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I can think of another more plausible reason why those tribespeople survived the tsunami, they probably had myths and fables that told them that when the water receeds alot faster and lower then normal, it will come back with a vengance and to get out. Tribal Memories are amazing things.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think its a whee bit simpler then that.

We used to be like them, we used to look and listen to nature.
These tribesmen still live with and in nature and know that when every animal starts hightailing out of a place, disaster is about to strike.

We all have the same sences, modern humans just ignore nature.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Oh yeah thematrix just jogged my memory, we DO have a sixth sense but it has nothing to do with sensing danger, our 6th sense is our sense of balance in our inner ear.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I believe in a sixth sense, but when apply to the primitive tribe people in Asia I think it was more due to their closed relationship with nature than anything else, perhaps the sixth sense applied here as the only means to survival and their understanding of nature's signs.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. Very interesting.

Most mystical paths deal with training this 6th sense to come to consciousness. Nice to see the ancient wisdom validated scientifically.

new topics

top topics

join