It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'About 60 Organizations' Are Considering a Lawsuit Against the SPLC Following $3M Settlement

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

No problem. Have a good day!

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean
a reply to: TheRedneck

I consider them undesirable groups. I disagree with the label "hate group" and try not to use it unless the organization in question uses it first.

So you don't think that KKK and white supremacists hate blacks and Jews? And you don't think that Westboro Baptist Church hate gay people, despite their signs declaring such thing?

I think the motive for a crime matters less than the crime just like Redneck.

If you get the crap beaten out of your in an assault, it suddenly doesn't make it worse because the person who assaulted you hated you for your ethnicity, but that's exactly what "hate" crimes laws do. They make some crimes more special then others purely based on motivation.

And by your words, I can judge then that you think we should outlaw people based not on the crimes they commit but on the thoughts you presume they think?

How do you know for sure? And why should thoughts be illegal?

Do you understand how dangerous that is? You want to lead us into a time when you can create criminals out of thin air purely based on speculation, not action. But that's where we are aren't we? Certainly seems to be if you get your way.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

Rowan -- IMO it's important to understand hate by itself does not get anyone/group on to the SPLC list.

Actions and untruths do.

An anti-LGBTQ+ group has every right to be anti-LGBTQ+. But, if they start spouting a natural disaster is God's punishment for accepting gays -- yeah, that will get them on the list.

Here's their reason for the KKK (you can research their site for details of anyone on the list).

www.splcenter.org...

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

That's pretty much BS though.

While it's stupid to say stupid things, what is basically going on is an attempt to ciminalize hate, but not even all kinds of hate, only hate that the SPLC and other orgs like them disapprove of. I suspect that it's perfectly OK to talk all day long about how the hurricanes that hit Florida were God's punishment for voting for Bush, for example, and yet, that's no different than saying that a natural disaster is God's punishment for approving of gay this or that.

People freely make hate speech all the time, and they aren't labeled for it or chased out of the public arena. It's only certain kinds of speech that certain groups don't like. And that sets up a situation where we have speech gatekeepers who determine who can and cannot say what and what can and cannot be said in the public arena.

That's not free speech.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Having your own thought is one thing.

Inciting others by untruths, deception, etc against others is not OK.

When younger I might've agreed with you.

But, living as long as I have (72), I've seen the forces of "forced equality" and acceptance work positively.

Even in schools today with "no bullying" allowed and "Frienship Benches", I've seen positivity in action.

Humans are evolving. And they need to.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The thing is, those "untruths" are often subjective, not objective. To use an extreme example, I can disagree with the statement that "the hurricane is God's punishment for allowing gay marriage," and yet not make assumptions about its truth. Can anyone here prove that the statement is untrue? I certainly cannot; I can only dismiss it as likely rhetoric.

I clicked on your link above (as much as I hate giving the SPLC any hits) and it brought up a page on the KKK. Even on that page, details were scarce. It was essentially an opinion piece.

The Ku Klux Klan, with its long history of violence, is the most infamous — and oldest — of American hate groups. Although black Americans have typically been the Klan's primary target, it also has attacked Jews, immigrants, gays and lesbians and, until recently, Catholics.

That is a fair opinion as far as I am concerned, but far from proof of an allegation.

I also looked at some of the other groups that the SPLC has labelled as "hate groups." The League of the South, according to their web site, uses the mission statement

“We seek to advance the cultural, social, economic, and political well-being and independence of the Southern people, by all honorable means

That does not sound hateful to me. But then the next paragraph says

The League of the South is not a “neo-Confederate” or “Southern heritage” organization, although we certainly do honor our ancestors and our largely Christian historic inheritance as Southerners. The League is a present- and future-oriented Southern Nationalist organization that seeks the survival, well-being, and independence of the Southern people. We stand for our Faith, Family, and Folk living in freedom and prosperity on the lands of our forefathers.

If this vision of a free, prosperous, and independent South appeals to you, we invite you to join us.

Michael Hill
President

Again, not very hate-filled to my way of thinking, and completely antithetical to the descriptor of "neo-confederate" used by the SPLC. I could not even find a page as un-specific for them as the KKK page you linked to. It appears the SPLC simply hates anyone who desires that the Southern peoples are "free, prosperous, and independent."

I want to be free, I want to be prosperous, and I do not want to be dependent. So according to the SPLC, I am hateful and should be shunned?

The League of the South advocates for progress according, again, to their own statements. The SPLChates them for their avocation of their principles. Therefore, the only "hate group" I see between these two organizations is the SPLC.

TheRedneck

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join