It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS points counter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
i was wondering if it was possible to have the counter count the total number of points earned since a member join, how much that person spent and how muny are left... i would love this feature... it would be interesting to see who had the most total points and post...

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
mine is about 100,000 - 120,000 i think,
i brought ATS mail when it first appeared

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:17 AM
link   
The problem with that is that it would become a competiton of sorts and that is really is diameticaly opposed to 'Denying Ignorance" that we are all here for.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
The problem with that is that it would become a competiton of sorts and that is really is diameticaly opposed to 'Denying Ignorance" that we are all here for.

ATS will have members posting slants like "mine is bigger then yours", it will end up turning out childish. Best if we didn't try to find out.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
lol yeah i was think it would cause the same problem.... but then again you guys dont have much to complaine about with 70,000 and 500,000 points...

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I think the real goal would be less posts but with more points as it would show quality posts over quantity of posts, also the colour of the points bar is also a factor in showing quality.
I also found that if you right click the points bar and then properties you will see as in Infinite's red points bar it is named 2m.gif, Fred's is sm.gif but he's a mod, beyondSciFi yours is 0m.gif mine is 1m.gif, but you will see in time your points go up and then they don't matter really it's just the newbies that make a big deal over them. once you have bought out the store they become redundant I think. That and it can intimidate new members.
P.S. if you move your mouse over the points bar and keep it there for a moment a little box pops up with the amount of posts made by that member

[edit on 20/2/2005 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I agree that it would make the "points competition" worse than it already is. There are allready too many pointless (pun intended) points that are clearly posted just to gain points.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Im agreeing with the "Quality over Quantity" thing. (Hence,,my sig
). The points deal does cause a bit of competition. And the more there is, the more worthless posts there are going to be. I mean, read some of these posts by newer people, some of the are worthless, like all they are doing is trying to get points. And plus, it would be like a high-school except with points. With points being qualities, the more points you have at ATS, seems like the more popular you are. I dont know though, at the same time I like it, but at the same time I dont.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
There are many more missed points than spent points at ATS.

But the best points are salient points.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
There are many more missed points than spent points at ATS.

But the best points are salient points.

MA, you silver-tongued devil,
at you.

The way I look at the points is the accumulation, not the total. If I find that I'm not earning at a certain rate, that means I'm not participating as well. AND quallity is definately better than quantity for accumulation.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Dispite the fact that this is a bad reason for all the above posted, I'd love to know how many points I've spent on upload space. Before I got the staff space that came with FSME I bought about 2 mb's of it. So I guess I'd have just a few more points if I didn't do that.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Knowing how much I spent would be interesting also, with all the edits i made. Maybe a counter should be put in everyones profiles, so only you could see it... eh?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
Knowing how much I spent would be interesting also, with all the edits i made. Maybe a counter should be put in everyones profiles, so only you could see it... eh?

Wait... Editing costs points? I didn't know that one!

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
yep... I changed my titles many times... cost me a bunch of points.

new topics

top topics

join