It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Says It's the Last Straw As It Bans Plastic Utensils. Is Your City Next?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

If you want to not use a straw then I have no issue with that, however, don’t inflict that belief on others.

Oh lord. It's like plastic straws are the new guns.
The consitution doesn't give people a right to plastic utensils.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Can the government freely ban anything they want?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
80% of the waste comes from the top five Asian countries. Considering how much coastline and population we have our contribution is negligible.

Don't shift the goalposts, you said we don't ocean dump, we do and we shouldn't.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Didn't they ban cfc's? We all did worldwide for the good of all.
The science is easy we are #ing up the seas and thus the food chain by dumping stuff in the sea.
Why oppose this? This is for the good of us all.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Didn't they ban cfc's? We all did worldwide for the good of all.
The science is easy we are #ing up the seas and thus the food chain by dumping stuff in the sea.
Why oppose this? This is for the good of us all.

I think switching is a good thing.

I think we should find a way to remove plastics from the oceans.

I fish a lot. I hate it! The pollution is disgusting!!

I am all for paper straws, recyclable utensils.

I will actually use them if given the opportunity.

What I don't like is government mandates. Sorry, but I don't. Now you may say government has a mandate on murder. But this is common sense stuff.

It's like seatbelt or helmet laws. It's common sense to wear a seatbelt.

As for straws and the like? Shops should simply switch to paper products. Why haven't they in the past?

Probably because of expense.

We need to educate and not regulate.

In my humble opinion.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I agree but we need to educate the biggest polluter s and we need our governments to push them towards what we are attempting to do or there is no point, it has to be both a public sector move and a governmental mandate.
Our governments ban things all the time to protect the public certain things like food dyes which give cancer, lead paint etc.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

the biggest polluters know what they are doing and they don't care.

The US could stop dumping plastic today and it wouldn't make a damned bit of difference, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I joke, I kid, I tease. . . .

But if someone can start marketing biodegradable utensils, straws etc then I have no problem switching over to them.

None at all.

I would do so voluntarily! Without hesitation.

Being mandated though? I guess there is something inherent in many Americans that hates being told what to do. We got "ouchy" with a little fat guy by the name of George a while back and it hasn't changed much since then.

So given the choice (nice word, remember that?) so given the choice. . . I and probably most everyone else would switch.

I just hate having government TELL me what to do.

I'm the same with seatbelt laws, helmet laws and the such.

Maybe try to think of it as an overall public telling you what to do, like don't poop on the sidewalk.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

It will make a small amount of difference as we wont be those jackasses saying do as I say, not as I do.

Other than that the other ones obviously don't give two turds so we should nuke them from orbit.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Maybe try to think of it as an overall public telling you what to do, like don't poop on the sidewalk.

Now you're just goading me.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420
a reply to: seattlerat

yes, its a good thing. my city has banned Styrofoam takeout containers, its a good thing. Hawaii banned plastic bags, i would love to see that be a nationwide thing.

We use WAY too much plastic, anything that reduces that consumption is objectively good. stop with the "but but but what about this one extremely small group of people that MAY be temporarily effecting (but not really at all)".

or the "yeah we can just use wood and sticks like the dark ages"

banning onetime use disposable plastic is not a step backwards

It just amazes me how packaged in plastic some things are now. Our local supermarket sells packs of four turkey slices in large plastic envelopes. Some biscuits came wrapped in three layers of plastic (outer wrap, presentation case, individual buscuit types mini-trays, mini-tray wraps, cover paper sheet). Sausage rolls? In plastic tray and wrap. Packs of cans? In a plastic wrap. Packs of six apples? In a plastic bag. Same with Chinese leaf lettuce. Oranges come in plastic nets, which are even worse because animals get caught in them. Soft drinks? In plastic bottles.

In the 1950's, everything would come fresh from the butcher, fishmonger, baker, greengrocer and would either be in brown paper bags, wax paper, tracing paper or glass bottles. All of these could be reused, and would be cleaned, folded up and saved for other uses. Glass bottles for milk would be delivered and collected at the doorstep.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It will make a small amount of difference as we wont be those jackasses saying do as I say, not as I do.

Other than that the other ones obviously don't give two turds so we should nuke them from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
How is this gonna save the planet?
I understand the sentiment. But this is but a drop(less than) in the ocean of pollution on the planet. I feel time, money, and resources could be better used elswhere combating pollution.

Seemes like politicians playing lip service to constituents for votes to me.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Biodegradable food grade straws. Something environmentally friendly.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
a reply to: Metallicus

But plastic utensils don't make life more convenient at all. They cost money to dispose of in landfills and pollute oceans. Buying one metal straw costs a few dollars, if that, and it's portable. If you don't have one, paper or disposable straws will be available.
The same with cutlery. Extremely portable.

Where in the HADES in a liberal mind does anyone think EVERYTHING winds up ? Including that one metal straw ?
NVM - they live in a fairytale world where the pink unicorns fart and magically all trash disappears...

edit on 6/22/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join