It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU and their response to Trumps tariffs. Motorcycles, Bourbon, and Levi's among others.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I found this .pdf while rummaging through some news sites.
It goes into great detail on the tariffs now imposed by the EU against the USA.
Please have a look for yourself:

HERE

After reading through most of the items, I realized that they are putting 10, 25, even 50% tariffs on goods originating from the USA. Goes to show that with every action, comes and equal and opposite reaction.

Is this the beginning of the decline?
Some say its to target specific Congress men/women.

Bourbon whiskey, in containers holding 2 l 25%
Whisky, in containers holding 2 l (other than Bourbon whiskey and Scotch whisky) 25%
Cigars, cheroots and cigarillos containing tobacco 25%
Cigarettes, containing tobacco and cloves 25%
Cigarettes, containing tobacco (excl. containing cloves) 25%
Cigars, cheroots, cigarillos and cigarettes consisting wholly of tobacco substitutes 25%
Water-pipe tobacco (excl. tobacco-free. See subheading note 1.) 25%
Motorcycles, incl. mopeds, with reciprocating internal combustion piston
engine of a cylinder capacity > 500 cm³ but 800 cm³
25%
Sea-going vessels for the transport of goods and seagoing vessels for
the transport of both persons and goods (excl. refrigerated vessels,
tankers, ferry-boats and vessels principally designed for the transport of
persons)
50%

edit on 20-6-2018 by havok because: Added value

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

Nope.
Trump won.
Germany has already folded like a wet paper napkin
www.express.co.uk...

The rest of the EU will follow.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

well in the 80s and 90s whenever I went to Europe, particularly Italy, i could sell 1 pair of levis for the equivelent of 200 bucks, I sold peanutbutter in Japan for damn near 50 bucks, if i coulda figured out a way to bring in melons...coulda sold em for 150 bucks wholsale. the sold for 275 buck retail...i say, game the damn system

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
uhhh cool, remove all the military operations and bases in Europe let's see how they fare

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Nope.
Trump won.
www.express.co.uk...

Very nice.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Nope.
Trump won.
www.express.co.uk...

Nothing but winning, across the board.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
We buy a lot more from Germany than they buy from us. I as an American citizen think we should stop buying German made products. The trade imbalance is in their favor, they do not want it to be even. I think Trump is onto something, we cannot keep exporting our money to other nations.

A lot of countries have regulations that make it so their citizens cannot buy too much from other countries to make sure the country gets richer. Then when someone here challenges that, they get all pissy. If it is in their favor, they love it.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Which is counterbalanced by a huge surplus in trade in services and investment with the EU. In fact if you consider the total money flow between USA and EU. The USA are having a surplus of something like 20 bn.

But that is something your beloved Trump won't mention of course. And so you'll continue cheerleading him like the little ignorant trumpets that you are.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Nope.
Trump won.
www.express.co.uk...

NO!

(a) He did NOT speak with Merkel, he only spoke with the head of the VDA (Verband Deutscher Automobilhersteller)
(b)

"As the "Wall Street Journal" reports, the bosses want to bring a peace offer to the world's most powerful man in the commercial dispute over Ambassador Grenell: According to the managers demand the abolition of all car duties on both sides of the Atlantic. The VDA denies this presentation.

"There is no proposal for unilateral concessions or the mutual dismantling of only car tolls," the association said. Although the VDA has long been quite open to reducing trade barriers between the US and the EU. In the industry it was said behind the scenes, one does not fear the US competition. But a reduction of trade barriers can only happen within the framework of a broad industrial customs agreement between the two partners. Everything else would not be WTO compliant."
Source
(c) I know one person who bought an US-american car (a new Mustang) and he is not very satisfied. Make better cars with higher standards of quality and we might start buying them! They are cheaply built, the gap dimensions (clearance) is ugly, the desktop looks cheap and very much made of plastic and we are not even talking about gas-guzzling.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We buy a lot more from Germany than they buy from us. I as an American citizen think we should stop buying German made products. The trade imbalance is in their favor, they do not want it to be even. I think Trump is onto something, we cannot keep exporting our money to other nations.

Okay, do that. No problem. But how exactly does this imbalance apply to you? Why are you personally so concerned?

A lot of countries have regulations that make it so their citizens cannot buy too much from other countries to make sure the country gets richer. Then when someone here challenges that, they get all pissy. If it is in their favor, they love it.

So, if someone wants to import (in free trade!) something, that should be condemnable?
Well, Germany hasn't heard this for the first time - but WHAT exactly should we do?
Make less desirable products?
Are you kidding me?

This isn't anything about "fairness". Build better things in your country and stop buying our products. There is nothing we can or will do about our products so that more #ty products from other countries have a "fair" chance. Suck it up, build better products!

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

True. Financially, there are trading centers in the world which make a metric sh*tton more than anything in the EU (besides London). How about this?

Should we start making better financial products?
*just kidding, we lost a lot with those CDCs, too*

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   

We buy a lot more from Germany than they buy from us.

No one forces anyone to buy anything.

It's all down to personal choice. If consumers in The U.S. don't want to buy foreign made products then they have a choice not to do so.

German cars etc are sold in The U.S. because there is a market for them. British made Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin McClaren, etc are sold in The U.S. because cars of that marquee are not manufactured there.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Yes indeed, the reason you buy German products is they are far higher quality than you make in the U.S, otherwise you would buy locally made products.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Also the rest of claiming a win I'm curious in 6 months or so when you are all paying a higher cost for pretty much everything as the consumer is always the one that gets screwed will you still be claiming a win......

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Like you said in the title, this is just a response to the tariffs that Trump introduced.
And what about that victory? Merkel agrees to scrap the 10% tax on american car imports? If this is the caliber of winning that was promised you will get sick of it. What a joke, 10% of on turds is still a pile of doodoo.
I think Trump is going to regret ever starting these trade wars, it will only lead to economic decline across the board

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

It wont affect Trump personally, it will affect you and me and all the other peons out there, I'm flabbergasted that people are cheering this on, its pathetic, sad even.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Nope.
Trump won.
www.express.co.uk...

Even if it wanted to Germany can't unilaterally scrap EU Tarrifs.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Overnight the Hang Seng dropped another 400 points.
Trumps E4?
edit on 21-6-2018 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

You need to ask WHY the "U"S citizens want or even need to buy german products.
Maybe because they are better than the "U"S ones, like cars? Why do so many "U"S americans want to buy and drive german cars? Because they are traitors, unpatriotic and evil?

It is right that Germany can only export so much because the market conform "democracy"(Merkel!) turned people into wage slaves. All for the big money, for the industry, the companies, the banksters, the "representatives of the people", the wealthy families, the rich and greedy beings. We copied (had to copy?) the "american way of life", where two or three "jobs" (and not fair paid working places) are almost not enough to pay rent and fill your fridge with not only garbage.

But still people from all around the world want or need to buy these products, there must be a reason for this behaviour. Maybe the quality of the even by wage slaves produced(and by that with a loss of a quality, who gives 100% as a wage slave?) goods are still better than stuff others produce.

Otherwise all the people that buy that stuff would be stupid, if they would buy something that is worse than everything that is produced in their own countries.

And don´t get me wrong, i am not praising german goods, that "Made in Germany" rubbish. Because that sign goes back to where it came from, it was used as a warning sign in the beginning, so that the brits didn´t have to buy cheap german crap, cheap copies of stuff. That label stood for real quality the last maybe around 25 years ago, but then the big money took complete control of Germany.

And, as i said, that robber barin capitalism turned humans into slave wage robots which earn too much to die but to less to live. And they steal the lifetime of these people, which work till they die nowadays, to make others, rich poeple, richer. If not, they suffer from old age poverty and maybe have to collect deposit bottles, for 8(glas beer bottles) or 25(1,5l plastic bottles) cent each, to buy something to eat.

Qualitiy can´t be produced by wage slaves which earn not even 9 Euro an hour, if you pay people 9 Euro, they only work for 9 Euro. But if people from all around the world prefer even these german goods, their own must be even worse.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius

he was referring to Germany not the whole European Union.

Germany Is Third

The U.S. trade deficit with Germany is $65 billion. The United States exports $53 billion, a large portion of which is automobiles, aircraft, and pharmaceuticals. It imports $118 billion in similar goods: automotive vehicles and parts, industrial machinery, and medicine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join