It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Don’t worry, the Republicans, and your President, will fix it!"

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: RowanBean
a reply to: dragonridr

Someone already explained that with citation.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That is if you meant the Great Wall of China? The North Korea example is just building a DMZ which is a terrible idea especially when we are working on the NK peace process.

No i mean china is building a wall on their border. They dont want north koreans just sneaking in to the country. There solution for now is fencing and moving their army to the border. However their long term solution os a wall.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: RowanBean

Let's not belittle our vetting process.

I mean that sincerely.

I read all about it a year ago when all this first was being talked about .

I feel our vetting is just fine.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Someone already explained that with citation.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That is if you meant the Great Wall of China? The North Korea example is just building a DMZ which is a terrible idea especially when we are working on the NK peace process.

No i mean china is building a wall on their border. They dont want north koreans just sneaking in to the country. There solution for now is fencing and moving their army to the border. However their long term solution os a wall.

Haven't heard about that. Do you have a link?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Let's not belittle our vetting process.

I mean that sincerely.

I read all about it a year ago when all this first was being talked about .

I feel our vetting is just fine.

Sorry I was just being humorous. I know that the vetting process has always been strong. Nothing changed.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: highvein

I think you want a wall, Trump promissed a wall and he is the president, you should get your wall.

You think it will help, i think its a step backwards. Im not the only one , but you help elect the man who ran on that promisse. You should get your wall. Whos going to pay for it? Ill wait. If you think that its ok to use taxpayer money to build it, i will argue that is money well spent. But its a mistake to build walls in a global economy, i will be more comfortable with giving that money to local law enforcement in the states that share the border to help with the detection and further deportation of undocumented migrants. A wall its a step backwards imo.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Sorry but our modern history proves that walls don't work.

The walls that worked were from a time without planes or modern digging equipment. they worked in a time before anyone could google how to make a bomb from simple materials.

Er, I thought the wall was to stop illegal immigration?

The drugs and the human smuggling and the crime are just side effects of not having a wall to keep people out. That's the goal: to keep illegal immigrants out. Not many people in Mexico illegally coming to the US for a better life have airplanes or major digging equipment. The cartels have a very easy way to get their drugs and slaves (which is exactly what they are) into the US: just act like any other illegal immigrant and slip through the cracks. If there are no other illegal immigrants, then they have to resort to the planes or the tunnels, and we have law enforcement to deal with that.

What we don't have is a law enforcement system that can deal with a literal invasion of immigrants on the kind of massive scale we have. Especially with so many restrictions on how they can talk to an illegal immigrant, how they can detain an illegal immigrant, how they must treat an illegal immigrant, how they can charge an illegal immigrant, what they must do to deport an illegal immigrant, etc.

Right now, the US is overwhelmed with illegal immigration to the point that it simply cannot function to protect its own borders. At least with a wall, it would reduce the number of illegal border crossings to a manageable level.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

If there are no other illegal immigrants, then they have to resort to the planes or the tunnels, and we have law enforcement to deal with that.

I just don't think the resources to build and maintain it would be worth the amount that it would stop.
I don't believe that a wall would stop all illegal immigration.

What we don't have is a law enforcement system that can deal with a literal invasion of immigrants on the kind of massive scale we have. Especially with so many restrictions on how they can talk to an illegal immigrant, how they can detain an illegal immigrant, how they must treat an illegal immigrant, how they can charge an illegal immigrant, what they must do to deport an illegal immigrant, etc.

We agree here. And I have heard people on both sides calling for better enforcement of current laws or immigration reform.
Though their voices are drowned out.

Right now, the US is overwhelmed with illegal immigration to the point that it simply cannot function to protect its own borders.

I disagree. I think if we calm down and try a new approach or enforce the laws better we can manage this without a wall.

At least with a wall, it would reduce the number of illegal border crossings to a manageable level.

In the time it would take to even build enough of that wall to matter we could come up with a better way.

edit on 21-6-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   

I disagree. I think if we calm down and try a new approach or enforce the laws better we can manage this without a wall.

Disagreement is something one does on an opinion. For instance, you disagree with me on the overall wisdom of building a wall. That's fair.

But the statement above is not based in anyone's opinion... it is a fact, witnessed by the evidence of the sheer amount of illegal immigrants coming into the US unimpeded. Our legal system is overwhelmed. Hearings to ensure asylum rights take time; apprehensions take time, arrests take time, deportations take time, everything the border patrol does takes time. There are only 24 hours in the day, and only so much money appropriated to hire border patrol officers. We have a limited amount of manpower available, but the influx of immigrants across the southern border is essentially unlimited. Only the population of the land mass south of the United States limits it, and that assumes no immigration into those countries from overseas.

We are trying to perform an unlimited task with limited manpower, and it simply will not work; it simply is not working.

The wall was never meant to be doorless, either. Trump himself described a "big, beautiful door" in the wall, so people can still come and go, but with vetting. That reduces 2000-some-odd miles of patrol down to a handful of specific sites that can be managed much easier and faster.

The big debate right now is the children being separated from their supposed parents at the border while the adults are processed. The only reason this is happening is that there are more requests for asylum than the judges can hear. What do you do with asylum seekers during the long wait that this has led to? Let them go? If so, why even bother with a hearing... anyone can get in by saying a few magic words, true or not, and there is no one to impede them or challenge them until they can disappear into the middle of the country. If we do not separate the children to ensure they are not victims of human trafficking, we might as well just remove the laws against human trafficking... they become meaningless and unenforceable.

Illegal immigrants can only be either granted access or imprisoned until they can be deported or allowed in. That is our only two choices. If we let them in unimpeded, we aid and abet human trafficking and dangerous drug trade. If we detain the adults during the vetting, a considerable time due to the influx, we separate them from their children. If we allow them to stay with the children (as we are apparently now doing), the children are then detained as well, in the same facility, often with the very people who kidnapped them to traffic them.

The options here are severely limited without some way to at least slow the influx. As it is now, no one is getting asylum... they are getting to be illegal in the US. That is not asylum. It is criminality, the wanton breaking of the law.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Little known fact, a .50 Cal has an effective range in excess of 2/3rds of a mile.

I'm sure you are aware they made a movie about nutjobs popping off illegal immigrants in the desert attempting ti immigrate illegally.....pretty nasty stuff....

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:36 AM
link   

What a lot of people fail to realize is that a lot of people on both sides want a reasonable solution to this problem. Attacking each other on their opinions and possible solutions isn't going to solve anything. Pushing propagandas about each side doesn't help either. We need to meet in the middle about this.

You and others think adding more walls will reduce the illegal immigration significantly. We don't. But I say let's do it to test the theory to see who is right. I might be a betting guy.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

I agree the wall is overkill and mostly for show. Though that gives me an idea we could turn it in to a tourist spot. Pakistan and India have built border walls. But every evening they have a ceremony to lower the flags. We could do something like this with Mexico and then with tourism make money!

en.m.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6/21/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Will you give me a link on China building a wall around NK? I'm interested.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Been working on it since 2006

www.forbes.com...

en.m.wikipedia.org...–North_Korea_border

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Yes I know. But you gave me an impression that they are doing it more right now. BTW they don't reject the North Koreans who defect from there.

ETA - Though it would make sense for them to scramble to guard the border since the propangda video Kim allegedly showed his people of his meeting with Trump.
edit on 21-6-2018 by RowanBean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Yes I know. But you gave me an impression that they are doing it more right now. BTW they don't reject the North Koreans who defect from there.

Actually they do they return them to south korea where they go to jail.

Problem for china they dont want to give up rights to the river and i dont blame them.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Oh, I realize that completely. And I appreciate your sentiment, to give it a try.

However, the major push as I see it is coming from the "other side." What I see is that the country voted for a President, supposedly on the basis of his plans for America - I sincerely hope it wasn't for his soothing nature! A large part of his platform was for a wall to be built. Ergo, America voted for a wall.

Yet, we have an entire political party where the elected representatives of the people are ignoring this fact and instead are playing the politics of personal destruction... and playing it badly, I will add. The other party also is resistant, but not to the same degree. That is direct thwarting of the will of the people, and a violation of their Oath of Office. The people are supposed to rule in the US through their elected representatives, not subject themselves to the personal beliefs of those representatives.

I say a wall will help; you say a wall won't help but it can't hurt to try. That's a fair debate. But saying we won't because Trump is mean, or we won't because Trump might look good... there is your useless rhetoric and arguments. That's not coming from me.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

I say a wall will help; you say a wall won't help but it can't hurt to try. That's a fair debate. But saying we won't because Trump is mean, or we won't because Trump might look good

The same can be said for any president. I did say I would give Trump credit for meeting with Kim. Maybe a very, very small credit. But still a credit anyway.

I just wish Trump would hurry up with his promise and build the damn wall!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: highvein
a reply to: Pyle

So I am not sure

Hello not sure. I am sure you are not sure how Trump won the Presidency either.

I very not sure about that too. How a con man conned 62 million people just because he had an R next to his name is beyond me. Like maybe if he had been smart and charismatic I could see it but he just straight up lied and people voted for his lies. It was like the watching the best worst used cars salesperson sale someone on a lemon.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This place seems to be full of a bunch of mentally immature children these days. Content used to be held to higher standards than this low effort garbage thread full of back slapping and circle jerking. Why does this deserve to be on the front page? This is kindergarten levels of intellectualism.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
This place seems to be full of a bunch of mentally immature children these days. Content used to be held to higher standards than this low effort garbage thread full of back slapping and circle jerking. Why does this deserve to be on the front page? This is kindergarten levels of intellectualism.

This is what winning looks like...MATSGA

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join