It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Backflip FBI agent charged with second degree assault

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
americanmilitarynews.com... _medium=facebook&utm_campaign=alt&utm_source=dvf

So I guess the three letter agencies are subject to the same laws as you and I. As long as we make a big enough stink about it. And capture it on film.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Whoisjohngalt

I doubt he will be convicted, once this is out of the news cycle the case will get thrown out and nobody will be any the wiser.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Ultimately what happened was very stupid but I don't think it fits the charge of second degree assault.
I don't believe it will be thrown out of court, it will be heard as it's now on public record but I expect the judge will rule it as not guilty of second degree assault, call it an accident, give the FBI guy a serving for being an idiot and that will be it.

Laws are different according to where they are being enforced, but I found this on a quick search:

Assault in the second degree.
(1) A person is guilty of assault in the second degree if he or she, under circumstances not amounting to assault in the first degree:
(a) Intentionally assaults another and thereby recklessly inflicts substantial bodily harm; or
(b) Intentionally and unlawfully causes substantial bodily harm to an unborn quick child by intentionally and unlawfully inflicting any injury upon the mother of such child; or
(c) Assaults another with a deadly weapon; or
(d) With intent to inflict bodily harm, administers to or causes to be taken by another, poison or any other destructive or noxious substance; or
(e) With intent to commit a felony, assaults another; or
(f) Knowingly inflicts bodily harm which by design causes such pain or agony as to be the equivalent of that produced by torture; or
(g) Assaults another by strangulation or suffocation.
(2)
(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, assault in the second degree is a class B felony.
(b) Assault in the second degree with a finding of sexual motivation under RCW 9.94A.835 or 13.40.135 is a class A felony.

Source - "Washington State Legislature"

1(c)? Perhaps there's some wriggle room to find him guilty there?

I think he's lucky there's a video of it clearly showing a very stupid accident on his behalf.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Hammaraxx

Hes a cop, handles a firearm for a living, he played the fool, dropped his gun and then fired it when he picked it up and shot someone no less.....

Sorry but wriggle room is just wrong he should be treated like any other member of the public would be.....throw the book at him...

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I agree with you 100%. Treat him just like any member of the public.

I was suggesting wriggle room to convict him of "second degree assault" not for him to get away with it entirely.
He has been charged with "second degree assault" and I'm not sure that'll stick.
Surely there are other charges that might have a better chance of a guilty verdict that he could have been charged with, "reckless use of a firearm" or something?

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Hammaraxx

You posted laws from the wrong state. Under Colorado law it was made for this situation.

Second-degree assault in Arapahoe County, Jefferson County, or any other county where felony assault is charged in Colorado, can be charged when a person causes bodily injury to another person and causes such injury to any person by means of a deadly weapon. Your intent and the fact that you never meant to cause injury is often not taken into account by police when charging assault in the second degree in Colorado.

www.shazamlaw.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Thank you for pointing that out.
Well then, we've all seen the evidence and he should be found guilty according to Colorado law where intent is irrelevant.
"Laws are different according to where they are being enforced"

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hammaraxx

Ultimately what happened was very stupid but I don't think it fits the charge of second degree assault.
I don't believe it will be thrown out of court, it will be heard as it's now on public record but I expect the judge will rule it as not guilty of second degree assault, call it an accident, give the FBI guy a serving for being an idiot and that will be it.

Laws are different according to where they are being enforced, but I found this on a quick search:

Assault in the second degree.
(1) A person is guilty of assault in the second degree if he or she, under circumstances not amounting to assault in the first degree:
(a) Intentionally assaults another and thereby recklessly inflicts substantial bodily harm; or
(b) Intentionally and unlawfully causes substantial bodily harm to an unborn quick child by intentionally and unlawfully inflicting any injury upon the mother of such child; or
(c) Assaults another with a deadly weapon; or
(d) With intent to inflict bodily harm, administers to or causes to be taken by another, poison or any other destructive or noxious substance; or
(e) With intent to commit a felony, assaults another; or
(f) Knowingly inflicts bodily harm which by design causes such pain or agony as to be the equivalent of that produced by torture; or
(g) Assaults another by strangulation or suffocation.
(2)
(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, assault in the second degree is a class B felony.
(b) Assault in the second degree with a finding of sexual motivation under RCW 9.94A.835 or 13.40.135 is a class A felony.

Source - "Washington State Legislature"

1(c)? Perhaps there's some wriggle room to find him guilty there?

I think he's lucky there's a video of it clearly showing a very stupid accident on his behalf.

In Colorado, being reckless with a dangerous weapon and causing injury is enough to convict for 2nd degree assault. Reckless conduct is conduct that wantonly disregards a risk of serious harm to another. So, let's see, a drunken backflip with a loaded gun not secured in a holster seems to fit. His big problem is that in Colorado, if you are convicted of an offense involving a gun, the judge must sentence to a prison term of at least half of the maximum. He is screwed. And yes, I am a lawyer.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The guy is just a worker-bee, why protect him? He doesn't have the right connections and is not important enough to protect. He certainly isn't worth any publicity hit.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

I hope so.
Hopefully its a message that no matter who you are, you cant act like a fool and endanger people.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Is there a link to the story which is not US exclusive?

American Military News does not permit access from outside the United States, to its media offerings at the moment. They claim its a response to an EU law about data protection, but who knows?

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

www.bbc.com...

This link doesnt mention that the bullet actually hit an artery of the guy shot in the leg.

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Woah....

Did the guy suffer any knock on effects from the blood loss? I hope he is ok!

With regard to the negligent handling of the firearm, I have to say, the problems began when this fellow had his gun in a holster that it could fall out of, just as a result of a little light gymnastics. It was pretty dumb to do back flips without being sure that his gun was secure at any rate, but to fumble the gun when picking it up? I mean, what manner of idiot was this agent?

posted on Jun, 22 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
well going by the posted law he can be found guilty of assault .
To me it just does not fit well .
endangerment with a firearm causing bodily harm would fit better .

one question why is prison the only answer for things like this ?
Prison does not do the victim any good nore change what happened it only serves to create a new criminal
who once out can never again have a normal life .

Is there a better way ? Sure Restitution which in this case would work .
So the person is responsible for all medical bills - all lost time from work ( in the case of a adult who works )
Any long term rehab if nessery .
and finly a sliding scale for ((( emotional stress )) In other words because the victim deserves some monetary amount
Just for the (( coff coff ) pain and suffering .

in a case like this with teh bills and rest a total of around 150 - 200 k should take care of it .
NO prison no black marks Beyond never owning a gun again .

and he just keeps living .
True justice would be when the Victim has been compensated to what ever extent possible any thing less is not justice .

How does locking up the guy who stole and wreaked your car bring you justice ?
For murder and rape of any kind death is the only justice the person could get its not much justice as the murder or rape still happened but alest it cant happen again .

Ps I believe ANY person who uses a weapon to do a crime knife gun bat what ever it should be death no matter if they used it or not .
TAKING a weapon n your hand means ONLY one thing you intend to do harm to another .

Only problem with death is when its the wrong person and that is why even though it should be death it cant be death . Death to the wrong person makes you the murder .

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt
a reply to: whereislogic

I hope so.
Hopefully its a message that no matter who you are, you cant act like a fool and endanger people.

I think that message flew out the window when Trump became president. That sends the opposite message. Acting like a fool while endangering people seems to be quite popular these days. Wanna win the popularity contests, that's your ticket nowadays.
edit on 23-6-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I doubt he will be convicted, once this is out of the news cycle the case will get thrown out and nobody will be any the wiser.

Except maybe the person he shot while doing his John Travolta impersonation!

new topics

top topics

join