It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump signs executive order to stop family separations at border

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: SteamyJeans

This order changes nothing.

One problem is that it's not actually legal, there's another law in place that says children can only be jailed for 20 days over immigration. If you're keeping family units together, then you're effectively saying anyone can only be jailed for 20 days which in turn brings back the catch and release program that Trump is trying to stop.

The other issue is that this does nothing to zero tolerance. We are still running around grabbing suspected illegals off the streets and putting them in concentration camps. It's still just as big a crime against humanity.

I'm going to have to ask you to step away from the pipe.

See, there are these things called "laws". They exist because at some point, someone did something wrong, and it happened enough that we needed to be able to stop if from happening. You can't just hit your neighbor over the head with a hammer and take his stuff. that's "illegal". So is entering a country without permission. If you don't believe me, try entering into Mexico or Canada without permission.

If any of that is unclear, just holler.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
“The measure would allow children to stay in detention with parents for an extended period of time.

So now, instead of separating kids from their parents, their just gonna detain women and children in (essentially) minimum security prisons, alongside potentially very dangerous and violenwww.abovetopsecret.com... men.

But it's what the liberals were asking for.

So we have to do it.

Liberals were asking to not treat these people like criminals for simply seeking asylum in our country.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
He should have done nothing and make congress deal with it, they are the legislative branch!!! Schumer, Pelosi, etc. goaded Him into using "the pen" an EO. What is congress there for? i guess all we need is a dictator(sarcasm).

Dems will use this against him in any number of ways. He fell into this trap for sure.

edit on 20-6-2018 by Onlyyouknow because: Name spelling

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
And now we can observe the Alt-Right doing mental gymnastics praising Trump while simultaneously telling us that Trumps decision isn’t against their fears and hate against illegals but totally d’accord with it.

Trump said months ago he didn't like the "separation" thing.

But laws are laws.

The lawsuits will put this back to last week anyway.

😃

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

That's pretty much the way I read it as well. It fails to get to the root problem of the issue. Namely the new zero tolerance policy that treats these immigrants as dangerous felons regardless of their situation.

That's why so many families are being separated. Even asylum seekers are assumed to be human traffickers even though they make up only a tiny percentage of those coming in to the country.

That's where this all stems from and this EO doesn't really do anything to change that or anything else really.

link   
Well, it's become clear just by the posts in this thread that;

A. Trump is called a coward by the leftists by signing an EO that the leftists wanted him to sign

B. Uniting families was never the goal, the goal being that people illegally entering into the country be allowed to do so without risk of punishment.

SMDH

link   
First let me apologize for getting a little "Mud-Pitty" in here.

Second, and what I think is import and being overlooked. A known issue from prior administrations became a hot button topic, Members of Congress could have fixed this issue years ago but never did because it wasn't a big deal, and finally a current sitting President took action to show that he is serious about fixing this issue.

What should be discussed here isn't tit-for-tat, but why didn't Congress try and stop/fix this loophole? Trump can be vilified/Hero worshiped all people want, but in the end why hasn't Congress taken any action about this or any of the other issues that have popped up and had to EO'ed to stopgap a fix on. Instead what we end up with is a bunch of political pandering over a known issue, with no solutions being handed out, but instead just name calling and head bunting.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
Liberals were asking to not treat these people like criminals for simply seeking asylum in our country.

Except you're repeatedly creating a false premise when you say things like "for simply seeking asylum in our country."

There's a right way and a wrong way to do that--if you do it the wrong way, you are in violation of federal laws for improperly entering the country.

But others have already pointed this out to you, and you ignore it, so I don't know why I think my comment will wake you up to reality...
edit on 20-6-2018 by SlapMonkey because: silly errors

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

“The measure would allow children to stay in detention with parents for an extended period of time.

So now, instead of separating kids from their parents, their just gonna detain women and children in (essentially) minimum security prisons, alongside potentially very dangerous and violenwww.abovetopsecret.com... men.

So we have to do it.

They haven't been following the "legal" asylum procedures, and they haven't been coming back for court dates either.

"Open Borders" doesn't work.

😃😃

link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Oh terrible. They tracked all the way to the golden door only to be told the bell is broken?
The ones who are waiting on the other side for entry are being told to go home we don't have room. So they weigh the choices of going back to certain death or having their sons recruited by gangs and their daughters raped and tortured or cross illegally because they were told there was sanctuary here? Only to find out that sanctuary is having your children seized and whisked away never to be seen again in some cases.
These are people not animals. You don't treat people like that. They came for help. That's what our country is all about. That is what we were founded on. Come here. Freedom awaits you. Opportunity awaits you. We welcome you.

link   
a reply to: Kharron

Actually God was around before Trump, en behold.. the law and practice did arrive...

Now who ended it ?

link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: toysforadults

He folded.
Threw in the towel.
Waved the white flag.
Gave in.

I like how you call it "Throwing in the towl" or "giving in". He has been trying to get something passed on this for days, and the democrats sat on their hands about it.

Looks to me like Trump whipped out his balls again, and said "Get out of my way, I'm getting this done".

Believe what you want though, as long as you sleep better at night right?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

So we have to do it.

They haven't been following the "legal" asylum procedures, and they haven't been coming back for court dates either.

"Open Borders" doesn't work.

😃😃

I don't believe that's true Xuenchen. The statistics I've seen says that 99% of the asylum seekers show up.

Where are you getting your info from?

link   

So we have to do it.

the one's who snuck across the Rio Grande at night? Those asylum seekers?

you may be able to BS your butties, but not everyone is as slow. Illegally crossing into the US is a crime. Seeking Asylum is done at the border crossings.

link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Which is why Congress has to pass a new law.

😃😃

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

SO, he reversed his own policy, and wants to blame the Democrats?

Yeah, ehheh, that's our Trump.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

What should be discussed here isn't tit-for-tat, but why didn't Congress try and stop/fix this loophole? Trump can be vilified/Hero worshiped all people want, but in the end why hasn't Congress taken any action about this or any of the other issues that have popped up and had to EO'ed to stopgap a fix on. Instead what we end up with is a bunch of political pandering over a known issue, with no solutions being handed out, but instead just name calling and head bunting.

Because it's not a presidential election year, so there's no massive call for legislation, and then if it was an election year, they'd be too afraid to act because it might affect their political support and reelection efforts.

Our government, for decades, honestly, has done very, very little of substance and have been all talk/bicker/yell/whine/cry/blame/flip-flop.

But honestly, with a government like that, do we really WANT them creating new legislation? I'm skeptical about their ability to pass something that would stand up to the constitution on any issue, and secondly, that if it didn't, that it would be struck down in a timely manner before it added more to the divisiveness of the country.

link   

a reply to: Aazadan
Yes!
Call a spade a spade.

I knew you were a racist tool. Good to see you're finally showing your colors.

link   

a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Oh terrible. They tracked all the way to the golden door only to be told the bell is broken?
The ones who are waiting on the other side for entry are being told to go home we don't have room. So they weigh the choices of going back to certain death or having their sons recruited by gangs and their daughters raped and tortured or cross illegally because they were told there was sanctuary here? Only to find out that sanctuary is having your children seized and whisked away never to be seen again in some cases.
These are people not animals. You don't treat people like that. They came for help. That's what our country is all about. That is what we were founded on. Come here. Freedom awaits you. Opportunity awaits you. We welcome you.

so, staying in these countries are certain death????

you must really think these places are sh*tholes....how racist of you

link   

So now, instead of separating kids from their parents, their just gonna detain women and children in (essentially) minimum security prisons, alongside potentially very dangerous and violent men.

Since when have there been co-ed detention centers?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join