It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family Guy Makes Interesting Political Statement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Just watched Running Mates, the episode where Peter and Lois run against each other for school board president. Lois, the one running because she saw a problem with not having background checks on new teachers, was the red candidate. At the same time Peter, the one making a mockery of the system, slinging insults and not addressing the issues at all, was the blue candidate.

I wonder if this was done intentionally. I've listened to most of the commentary on the episodes (own all the DVDs, love that show
) and there is a huge liberal leaning by the people who create and act in the show. It does not, however, really come out on the show.

As a followup, Peter won because he smeared Lois completely while Lois was trying to address the issues.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The creators catered to their audience. After a lengthy Fox News viewing session, all fine upstanding conservatives have to flip the channel to something else to cool off for a bit. And Fox provides just such a secondary station. And you don't even need cable for it.

It truly is a pity that many if not most creative people are liberals. Otherwise many other shows of this calibre would be available for everybody to see.

Family Guy lasted all of three seasons before it was cancelled though, so perhaps all that liberal tripe leaked out and made the show unwatchable to most. Read its in production again along with an even more pro-conservative cartoon called American Dad by the same guys who did Family Guy so I fully expect conservatives will be getting all the low brow comedy they need for the forseeable future. No thanks to those country destroying liberals.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I had a long a typed out post and accidently hit tab and arrow...

The writers, the creators, and voice actors are mostly liberal...I doubt they intentionally made Democrats look like that...maybe the animators had fun with it...

American Dad openly mocks conservatives...

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Family Guy? That is a comic show. I swear, it is a cartoon, if they weren't making fun of things they wouldn't be a comic show.

Edit. So, according to you, they hate Jews, English, talking dogs, santa, foriegn nations inside of America, fat people, toy companies, Y2K, cripples, ice skating, school, football, and uh, anything else they have made fun of on the show.

[edit on 20-2-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Family Guy Politics

I own and have watched all the episodes of Family Guy and consider it one of the best cartoon series ever made. And I'm pretty picky about what I watch.

It covers a lot of ground, and does so with dazzling sophistication. Those suggesting it is "lowbrow" might want to watch more attentively.

The show is a vehicle for Seth MacFarlane, who is brilliant and someone I want to see more from, and nothing is sacred as far as the show goes.

In the case of this particular episode, Running Mates, the point was made and made well. People can infer from it what they want, the humor is incisive and unflinching.

Some people can appreciate that, and some can't.

Different strokes for different folks. Whatever floats your boat, melts your butter, trips your trigger, flies your kite, scratches your itch, blushes your blossoms, puffs your pastry, vamps your vicar, sinks your basket, kicks your knickers, checks your mate, shnizzles your nizzle and/or decorates your cookies. It's all good.

One of the things that distinguishes Family Guy is just how daring that show was. It covered topics others wouldn't go near, and did so with an over-the-top wackiness that was itself a marvel of self-parody – which was a common theme throughout the entire series.

On its surface, and deceptively so, the show may seem like a cheap Simpsons knock-off. But to make that assumption or fail to see past the sarcastic slapstick is to cheat yourself out of some very fine entertainment.

You know, now that I mention it, I think I'll watch a few episodes. Something new always emerges with repeat viewings.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
American Dad openly mocks conservatives...

American Dad openly mocks both sides haha. His daughter is the over-the-top liberal stereotype, and he's the over-the-top conservative stereotype.

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
True, however, the show revolves around the dad. Hence, American Dad. Also, I can just about squeeze into a thimble the amount of time his daughter had air time and talk time. It's a lil unbalanced there buddy.

Next thing you know, you are going to be saying that making illegal aliens do our work is a liberal thing...

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK
Next thing you know, you are going to be saying that making illegal aliens do our work is a liberal thing...

um....what!? What does that have to do with what I said?

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Did you watch the episode?

Did you notice that they didn't want the alien to leave the house. Hinting he is an illegal alien. Then, the girl hires the alien with cheap payment...WAS I THE ONLY ONE WATCHING?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
No, I watched, "Hilary, watch out for the mines!" Boom! Great show, when are the new episodes coming out???

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
The creators catered to their audience. After a lengthy Fox News viewing session, all fine upstanding conservatives have to flip the channel to something else to cool off for a bit. And Fox provides just such a secondary station. And you don't even need cable for it.

It truly is a pity that many if not most creative people are liberals. Otherwise many other shows of this calibre would be available for everybody to see.

Family Guy lasted all of three seasons before it was cancelled though, so perhaps all that liberal tripe leaked out and made the show unwatchable to most. Read its in production again along with an even more pro-conservative cartoon called American Dad by the same guys who did Family Guy so I fully expect conservatives will be getting all the low brow comedy they need for the forseeable future. No thanks to those country destroying liberals.

Golly, forgot about this thread. I'm rather proud to call myself a conservative, though you seem to have a problem with us
I'd also like to point out that Family Guy lasted for four seasons, not three, and is coming back to Fox May first. It is the first series ever to be brought back (kind of like Gumble To Gumble
Except no one had to be "dying" from many pepperoni like nipples to bring it back) because of the huge DVD sales. Many of my church going friends also enjoy this and own the first three seasons available on DVD as well. I have the first three seasons memorized, and have the fourth season on mpeg format in someone else's house. (If the dude who broke into my Miata the day I got laid off and stole all my stuff I took home from work and my stereo is reading this, could you U2U me? I'd love to get a copy of that CD again, I miss those 4th season episodes! It was in Rolling Meadows. Rock, rock on?)

Before you make a broad generalization about a group, y'all should ask yourself, do I know everyone who feels this way? Have I made friends with anyone who feels this way? (or looks this way, for that matter, if you have a problem with blacks, too (told ya, John Bull, I can be a trouble maker
))

I'm a conservatice, I'm a Christian, I've been told I'm creative (to a fault, according to my performance appraisals at work), and I love Family Guy, South Park, the Simpsons, and Sean Hannity. Do I break your mold in your mind, or should you reform your mold? That's for you to decide.

Oh, and James, that's one of the things I like about Family Guy and South Park. They're not PC at all, they'll make fun of anybody. Even the dying boy who wanted to be a quarterback for a play. Boy, did those tackles ever knock the $hit outta him! "Ooooh! I guess he should have wished for some blocking!"

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Yes, JTL, that was the same episode.

I can't believe I was the only one to notice that portion of the show....

Anywho, can't wait til June for the new ones to be cranked out. Family Guy season five is going to be great.

top topics

join