It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama administration apparently let horrific things happen to immigrant kids.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
www.aclu.org...

WASHINGTON — Documents obtained by the American Civil Liberties Union featured in a new report released today show the pervasive abuse and neglect of unaccompanied immigrant children detained by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The report was produced in conjunction with the International Human Rights Clinic at the University of Chicago Law School. “These documents provide a glimpse into a federal immigration enforcement system marked by brutality and lawlessness,” said Mitra Ebadolahi, ACLU Border Litigation Project staff attorney. “All human beings deserve to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their immigration status — and children, in particular, deserve special protection. The misconduct demonstrated in these records is breathtaking, as is the government’s complete failure to hold officials who abuse their power accountable. The abuse that takes place by government officials is reprehensible and un-American.” The report is based on over 30,000 pages of documents dated between 2009 and 2014.

Thanks Xcalibur254 for pointing this out.

It's a terrible thing anytime children are hurt. And this is something that happened, and went completely ignored by the masses. Now I don't know why CNN or other news outlets didn't bring this up back then, but I sure hope the appropriate amount of anger will be shown by the same people who are so angry at Trump for separating kids from parents being jailed.

It would be tiny bit ironic if no anger was shown.

I hope the ones who did bad things are punished fully.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

But Obama never did this. He let all those children stay at the White house and gave them suckers and ice cream.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Examples of the documented abuses include allegations that CBP officials:

Punched a child’s head three times
Kicked a child in the ribs
Used a stun gun on a boy, causing him to fall to the ground, shaking, with his eyes rolling back in his head
Ran over a 17-year-old with a patrol vehicle and then punched him several times
Verbally abused detained children, calling them dogs and “other ugly things”
Denied detained children permission to stand or move freely for days and threatened children who stood up with transfer to solitary confinement in a small, freezing room
Denied a pregnant minor medical attention when she reported pain, which preceded a stillbirth
Subjected a 16-year-old girl to a search in which they “forcefully spread her legs and touched her private parts so hard that she screamed”
Left a 4-pound premature baby and her minor mother in an overcrowded and dirty cell full of sick people, against medical advice
Threw out a child’s birth certificate and threatened him with sexual abuse by an adult male detainee.
The report also shows evidence of CBP holding migrant children in excess of the 72-hour maximum period permitted by law, as well as officials’ efforts to deport children without due process and via coercion.

Examples of abuse from your source. I agree this report is surprising and hopefully the current administration is correcting the situation and punishing any offenders responsible.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
He should have just given them a bottle of water and pointed them to Mexico. Let Mexico sort out where they belong and save us some money. I don’t see why we have to deal with them plus Mexico doesn’t have a bunch of faux outrage Progressives to deal with so they can do their job without death threats.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

To be fair, we should acknowledge that Michelle Obama sent HEALTHY MEALS to the caged border children.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Now I don't know why CNN or other news outlets didn't bring this up back then,
In May? When the ACLU released the information it had gathered?

Google
edit on 6/20/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Maybe Peter Fonda will see this article and he can go after Obama and his family.

link   
Well, since there's precedent, I guess it's okay. Okay, Japanese Americans, back in the camps!

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Now I don't know why CNN or other news outlets didn't bring this up back then,
In May? When the ACLU released the information?

Google

Yes. or did I get the dates wrong in the article?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Did you click the link?
It was reported upon.

edit on 6/20/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Well, since there's precedent, I guess it's okay. Okay, Japanese Americans, back in the camps!

that's kind of the point. As the reports show now, these kids are taken care of appropriately, the anger is about them not being in the same cell as their parents. Trump is fixing that as we speak. But this abuse that happened under Obama was hurting kids. If you can't understand the difference here, just let me know.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Did you click the link?
It was reported upon.

I love how you say that as if it was ANYTHING like we're seeing now in the DNC media. Why are you defending obvious propaganda that's meant as damage control for Democrats?
edit on 20-6-2018 by Thejoncrichton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Did you click the link?
It was reported upon.

I looked, but didn't see the CNN link. can you point that one out?

My point in the OP was, and I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but there seems to be a tiny bit of news coverage about the Trump thing, and as it looks the Obama thing is a bit worse. (again, if clarification is needed, just ask) And since CNN is the current holder of the dog whistle, I wondered why these kids were less important. Can you shed any light on that question?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
As I said in the thread where I brought this report up, this is hardly a problem unique to the Obama administration and it's hardly a problem unique to these facilities. Just look at how prevalent these same issues are in the criminal justice system.

The issue isn't who's in power. It's that those in power won't hold the offending parties responsible.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Do you have reason to think that ICE has cleaned up its act under Trump?

But this is what you said:

Now I don't know why CNN or other news outlets didn't bring this up back then
This is an inaccurate statement. Right?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I was incorrect on that. It was reported. It just wasn't important enough for the masses to read about it I suppose. Did you find the CNN link?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
As I said in the thread where I brought this report up, this is hardly a problem unique to the Obama administration and it's hardly a problem unique to these facilities. Just look at how prevalent these same issues are in the criminal justice system.

The issue isn't who's in power. It's that those in power won't hold the offending parties responsible.

but Trump. gotcha.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

It just wasn't important enough for the masses to read about it I suppose.
Including you. Apparently.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Where did I say that? I specifically said this is a systemic issue that transcends who's in power. You're the one ignoring the actual issue and trying to use the abuse of children to gain political points.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

What about the kids in Appalachia? What about Chicago? Why don't you care about Chicago?! You're so un-American, pretending to care about these "invaders" who are "infesting" our country and "turn into MS-13" while you ignore kids in your own country! Amirite?

Why did you highlight 2009 and 2014? To show that the documents were from the Obama admin? What do you think an investigation of documents from 2015-present would show? That Trump, who is NEVER critical of the CBP, has cleaned house?

Or would it show that many of the same bad actors were still in their jobs?

Also, you should be able to appreciate the difference between the actions of bad actors within an agency and the deliberate, malicious policy changes of the President and top officials in his administration. At the very least, you should realize that in effect, you're argument is that the system is broken and that the policy changes of the Trump admin only put more vulnerable children into that system, making it more likely that more kids would suffer neglect and abuse.

But hey, if you're serious, I honestly believe it would be super appropriate to launch a massive oversight probe of the CBP, fire/prosecute anyone who has neglected or abused children and make changes to protect the vulnerable.

edit on 2018-6-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join