It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House considering executive action to prevent family separations at border

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The Democrats have thus far refused to let Trump and the Republicans hold children hostage for the Wall.

Trump can fix the situation he created immediately.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: TonyS

The Democrats have thus far refused to let Trump and the Republicans hold children hostage for the Wall.

Trump can fix the situation he created immediately.

The news media is blaming Donald Trump for the "zero tolerance" policy that A.G. Jeff Sessions implemented 3 weeks ago.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o
a reply to: underwerks

If true, I stand corrected.
Can you show me anything proving that trump re instituted the policy?

The president and top administration officials say U.S. laws or court rulings are forcing them to separate families that are caught trying to cross the southern border.

These claims are false. Immigrant families are being separated primarily because the Trump administration in April began to prosecute as many border-crossing offenses as possible. This “zero-tolerance policy” applies to all adults, regardless of whether they cross alone or with their children.

The Trump administration implemented this policy by choice and could end it by choice. No law or court ruling mandates family separations.

www.washingtonpost.com...

What’s happening is a direct result of the Trump administration enforcing their new zero tolerance policy for prosecuting illegal immigrants. Previous administrations would house captured families together or send them back. Not prosecute all the adults and take their children in an effort to scare away other illegal immigrants.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The policy was originally devised by John Kelly and White House senior advisor Stephen Miller, who sold the idea to Trump. So yes, this is on Trump. He knew about the policy change and signed off on it before it was ever implemented.

ETA: Also the policy was officially implemented at the start of April although it was tested last summer.
edit on 6/20/2018 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

My only question becomes (and just like with Obama), is this executive-order fix legal? I mean, the 20-day detention rule for children only means that DHS must transfer the children to different facility that meets more stringent requirements--it doesn't mean that the children cannot still remain separated if the need is justified.

This morning, I actually read through Articles One through Forty-One (Part I) of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC), and nothing that is happening on that border is against those guidelines (meaning that we are not violating human rights or UN treaty in separating these children under these circumstances).

From what I understand, one of the main reasons for the separation of some, if not most, of these children is because there is a lack of legal documentation to actually prove the relationship to the claimed parents or guardians--that's a big deal to me and many others who understand the breadth of the human-trafficking problem, especially down at the southern border. From the UNCRC:

Article 35

States Parties shall take all appropriate national, bilateral and multilateral measures to prevent the abduction of, the sale of or traffic in children for any purpose or in any form.

This, above many other reasons, is why I find it appropriate to err on the side of caution and separate the adults and children until if and when actual family ties or legal guardianship is proven.

I know that many others will disagree, or interject emotional hyperbole, but to me, even though forced separation for a reasonable amount of time so that we aren't just making assumptions about claimed relationships between adults and children from other countries seems like a really sucky situation for these children (and the actual parents and guardians), it is an appropriate way to approach this problem. We have to remember that we didn't force these adults to illegally enter our country with children in tow, we can only react in ways that don't violate human right and, when considered logically, are legal and actually in the best interest of the children.

I don't agree that this changing this by executive order will work out best for all of the children involved--I hope that I'm wrong, though.

Downloadable official version of the UNCRC

edit on 20-6-2018 by SlapMonkey because: my ADD kicked in mid-sentence and I made no....ooh, something blinky!

link   

He didn't make this mess. This mess was started long ago, and only brought to the forefront to impede coverage of the IG report/hearing.

Wonder how many people know about the issue at the border vs Stroke (purposefully misspelled) being removed from the FBI building.
edit on 20-6-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

You'll see that the same is true with actions (pro-Hillary/anti-Trump) committed by President Obama's justice department.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Your point being?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

He didn't make this mess. This mess was started long ago, and only brought to the forefront to impede coverage of the IG report/hearing.

Wonder how many people know about the issue at the border vs Stroke (purposefully misspelled) being removed from the FBI building.

What parts of the IG report are so damning that a distraction is needed?

Serious question, because I’ve read the whole thing. If there was something damning enough in there to warrant the full court press that the press is doing right now I must have missed it.

And doesn’t it stand to reason that if there was some verifiable bombshell in there that right wing media (Breitbart, etc) would be shouting it from the rooftops?

Or are they controlled in the same way as the MSM?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

As noted, AG Sessions created the problem. Not that it matters since he is, after all, a Trump appointee.

And the Dems are refusing to let Trump hold the kids hostage for the wall? Really? This is about the Wall?

If that's true, its a serious load-O-crap.

And just in time for the mid-terms, the budget resolution expires which means Congress has to do a new one and I'm hearing Trump will let the government shut-down if the new budget authorization doesn't include funding for the wall. Trump really doesn't get a lot about DC politics and he's apparently very ill advised.

And of course, all the while the anti-Trump propaganda mills like CNN and MSNBC will spin this "abuse of children" narrative right up to the election day in November.

But never mind.......nothing will get fixed, nothing will be done.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

How have you read the whole thing when pt 2 isn't out yet?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Your point being?

Just laying the groundwork to counter the "logic" and "excuses" that will come from the LEFT when Obama's DOJ is put before the firing squad.

link   

What's happening is a direct result of years of immigration laws being pissed on and ignored, and now the administration sees it appropriate to reinstitute the rule of law, and in order to get a handle on things, enforce the law with extreme prejudice to try and correct the lack of concern for our immigration laws by people trying to come into our country.

It's not just the memo that is of concern, it's a mix of the memo, human-trafficking laws, immigration laws, and UN mandates. Those who only focus on the one thing produced by Trump's administration (which is simply a return to the rule of law) are too myopic to understand the totality of the issue at hand, or are too insincere in their discussion to not approach this in a biased, half-truth fashion.

By now, at this point in the discussion, there is no excuse to pretend that 'the memo narrative' is accurate or the complete story.

link   
a reply to: network dude

Meanwhile hundreds of thousand homeless American children go hungry and homeless, especially now that school is out.

Some kids get only one meal a day ..cafeteria food..

We need to get Mexico to handle this, on threat of defunding them. Buss them immediately to Mexico detention center where they can let them go or house them.

10,000 out of 12k are unaccompanied minors, and an EO barring family seperations will only help a very small portion of them.

Get the Dems out to sign a bill! What racist hypocrites

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

"Forget the very real humanitarian crisis playing out in front of our eyes! BUT WHAT ABOUT HILLARY CLINTON!?!"

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Blaming the children is misplaced political nonsense, this is the same system no matter who the figurehead is because all that changes is a false label of "Democrat/Republican"

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Where was this fake outrage in say, 2014?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

You mean when you right wingers were whining about and declaring that Obama and the Democrats wanted open borders and approved the DACA EO?

But of course WHAT ABOUT OBAMA!?!?!
edit on 20-6-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yeah, when they had the power to change all this with a pen stroke and decided not to.

Whataboutism or not, where was your outrage before?
edit on 20-6-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

The irony of how you guys were up in arms about Obama not enforcing the laws with Catch and Release policy and the DACA EO yet somehow this was an issue to be concerned about in 2014. PUHLEAZE! In 21014 you were accusing people like myself of wanting open borders and NOW suddenly you are accusing me of not caring about these people then.

BUT BUT BUT WHAT ABOUT OBAMA!??! Whatboutisms are such dumb logical fallacies. It's like you guys don't even care about logical discourse anymore.
edit on 20-6-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join