It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They make them sound old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
So...apparently Canadian tariffs are soooo high..

HOW HIGH ARE THEY?

They're so high... that Canadians who want to get U.S. made shoes wear them out before bringing them over the border.
Wow I wonder at the revenue being lost in a pair of shoes. Lol.
nationalpost.com...

“There was a story two days ago, in a major newspaper, talking about people living in Canada, coming into the United States, and smuggling things back into Canada because the tariffs are so massive. The tariffs to get common items back into Canada are so high that they have to smuggle them in. They buy shoes, then they wear them. They scuff them up. They make them sound old or look old.”

Could it be inflated?

Trump is almost certainly referring to — and distorting — an opinion piece by Isabel Vincent, a Canadian journalist, that was published last week in The New York Post about how she and her relatives skirted duties by sneaking jeans, shoes and other goods across the border from the United States.

Distorting the truth.
Say it ain't so Joe.
Say it ain't so.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Tarriffic!

They should sell them with antique patina finish, that's always the real peak of a sneakers life. Just keep the smelly part unsimulated, if possible. lol.

Distorting the truth.
Say it ain't so Joe.
Say it ain't so.

The Don?!?oneoneeleven
Cmon Silly. Why should he, cui bono?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
How does a shoe sound old?
A flopping slap slap of a loose sole?
Frayed laces dragging behind?

Kind of defeats the purpose of getting new shoes doesn't it?
If ya gotta make them look old just keep your old ones. Lol.
I only created this thread as a LOL.
shoes that sound old.
That tickles me.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Prices for stuff is high here, but clothing prices in the states, from what I remember are also expensive (for nice stuff).

There's also really cheap stuff here too, so I doubt that clothing is what we want from the US.
The stuff that's always been overpriced here are anything auto related, dairy....$10 to $12 for less than a half pound of cheese..but with our dollar only 75% value of the US dollar, I don't think it's worth the hassle of the border.

Trump is both entertaining and disturbing at the same time.....

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
No actual figures of tariffs for/against?

Nice work OP I cant get this wasted 2 minutes back. Maybe do a rant next time?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I was going to Boycott Canadian products in response to Canadians boycotting ours.... Wandering around the store I realized nothing I buy is directly Canadian, not even my Canadian beer Molson - which is brewed also in the USA.

Living in a border city with Canada, In the parking lots, there are always empty shoe boxes with old shoes thrown around, and clothing labels and hangers left in carts, packaging from all sorts of other products from Canadians wearing their purchases to escape duties.

This is not distortion.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

That depends on your definition of distortions, I guess.

[...]
Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.”

G. Orwell

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MetalThunder

Living in a border city with Canada,

Good luck boycotting all those Candaian coins in your pocket right now.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

LOL That used to be a huge problem .... Funny you mention that. Used to be a problem getting canadian coins as change. Just would ask for USA coinage and never had a problem. Lately though barely ever see any. Think Debit cards changed it up a bit.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Living in a border city with Canada, In the parking lots, there are always empty shoe boxes with old shoes thrown around, and clothing labels and hangers left in carts, packaging from all sorts of other products from Canadians wearing their purchases to escape duties.

Does this seriously bother you?

Oh my goodness.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Not in the least .... Though the litter can get annoying. I am half Canadian by birth with option of dual citizenship. lol
edit on 6202018 by MetalThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Do cows not do well in Canada? Just wondering why you need to import dairy foods.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

The point of the article isn't about shoes. It's about tariffs, duties and taxes. In the US, you have a $200 US personal exemption. That means that before any tariffs, duties or taxes are applied, you can have $200 worth of goods imported into the country. Canada on the other hand has a $20 personal exemption. We get charged a fee for the agent, broker, whoever, of 5-$$$ whatever scaled dollars just to pay the government the taxes, tariffs and duties for any imported amount over $20. That's money for nothing, a real government scam and the shipping companies ride on the back of the scam because try make even more money charging for the scam. Something for 21$ becomes possibly as much as 75$, dependent on the item. On shipping, ups and FedEx are the worst I have encountered for additive service charges for brokerage.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Maybe it's a quote on what trump said and not about tariffs per se?

You're too hot to jump on my threads.
I'm laughing at his nonsense not discussing tariffs on shoes. Lo!.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Man I stopped using Canadian products when they claimed that little ham rounds are bacon.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Cows do great up here, but better for beef. Our dairy industry has a supply management system, so that we don't get any excess, but the same things that keep our dairy farmers in business, are the same things that make dairy expensive for us.

We try not to import dairy, thus the 270% dairy tariffs.

It's the thing about having a population one tenth of the US, we have a built in protectionist type thing in some industries.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Man I stopped using Canadian products when they claimed that little ham rounds are bacon.

Lol. We don't call that bacon either. It has the little qualifier word added as "back bacon".
It fits good on eggs Benedict, or those little round breakfast sandwiches.

If we ask for bacon, on a burger, or with a plate of breakfast, and they give us the round stuff, it gets sent back. Bacon is 🥓.....

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I'm laughing at his nonsense not discussing tariffs on shoes. Lo!.

I can't think of a more important topic right now, you're clearly a troll.

The tres-chic worn out look is coming back to haunt you for that, mark my words.

posted on Jun, 21 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Canada is a nice place. It's a democracy.

We should only be doing fair and equal trading with a place like that.

top topics

join