It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cruz's Flip-Flop on Family Separation Shows Threat to GOP

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Cruz's Flip-Flop on Family Separation Shows Threat to GOP

Ted Cruz has staged a dramatic about-face on the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" immigration policies, laying bare how politically damaging the issue of separating children from parents accused of crossing the border illegally is becoming for Republicans facing voters this fall.

The Texas senator, who has become a frequent ally of President Donald Trump, initially blasted criticism of the White House crackdown. "When you see Democrats saying, 'Don't separate kids from their parents,' what they're really saying is don't arrest illegal aliens," he said last week

But he's now softened substantially, telling reporters in Washington on Tuesday, "All of us are horrified at the images we're seeing." Cruz also said he talked with the White House about legislation he introduced to stop family separations.

The article continues:

It is striking that a leading conservative insurgent could flip-flop in a deep-red state where hardline immigration policies are exceedingly popular. But Cruz's change of heart underscores the chorus of bipartisan politicians and civic and religious leaders across the country who've said such tactics are unacceptable — even as the Trump administration has vowed to stand by them.

Say what you will about any of this, but Trump's true super-power is his ability to make the 'fakers' expose themselves.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Maybe he bought the hype over the blue wave and is looking to cozy up to the dems a little?

Or maybe he really had a change of heart. It can happen you know.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Thousands of Texas children are separated from their parent(s) in Cruz's home state, via incarceration. Is Ted Cruz vowing to take action to keep them together over those multi-year sentences? Maybe he will advocate for family prisons in Texas.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
He must have fell for the MSM pics from the zerObama era.

🎃💸

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

What irks me is that "zero tolerance" is used instead of following the rules of law.

WTF-Over.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Exactly. Enforcing the rule of law is now an extreme concept.

WTF is right.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The future will have no such thing as nation states.

Reading the arm chair warrior comments here is entertaining.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

Will there be hovercars?

I really want a hovercar. A blue one.

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:48 PM
link   

So you support Global Imperialism? Interesting, but suspect.

This family separation crap is total nonsense. Break the law as a US citizen and you get separated from your family, so why should people coming into the country illegally be any different?

What's cracking me up (sadly though) is how some city mayors from non southern board states are headed to the southern board to protest all this. It makes me wonder if the "Homeless" is passé n favor of non US citizens?

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

No. The future brings many failed states.

If you think that means your life, the lives of your children, or their children, will be better, good luck with that.

History puts the money on my view.

Maybe you should turn off Star Trek, get out of your own armchair, and open your eyes to what is REALLY happening around you.

edit on 19-6-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

These FAKE Republicans Exposed themselves too . ALL Calling for the President to End Boarder Enforcement .

The Traitors ...........

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)
Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS)
Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME)
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN)
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
Sen. John Boozman (R-AR)
Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV)
Sen. Cory Gardner (R-CO)
Sen. James Lankford (R-OK)
Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA)
Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH)

posted on Jun, 19 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Apparently.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Will there be hovercars?

Nah dude go red, everyone knows red goes faster

To SR1TX, you do know that when/if they abolish borders you and everyone you know will be dead and in the ground by a couple of hundred years right?

I also agree we should have a world without borders but we are so far away from that being even close to a reality its not even worth thinking about, the world just doesnt share the wests open minded and liberal attitudes for it to work well.
Id actually put money on the world becoming significantly more nationalistic within the next decade or so but we will see.

I find the smug arrogant comments of idealists who dont exist in reality amusing, your post gave me a chuckle

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Cool lambasting of Cruz, but heres what he ACTUALLY is proposing, its not an about face, its compassion with trying to maintain a strict imigration policy.

"All Americans are rightly horrified by the images we are seeing on the news, children in tears pulled away from their mothers and fathers," Cruz wrote in a release. "This must stop. Now. We can end this crisis by passing the legislation I am introducing this week."

The provisions of the legislation, according to the news release, include: Doubling the number of federal immigration judges, from roughly 375 to 750.

Authorizing new temporary shelters with accommodations to keep families together. Mandating that immigrant families be kept together, absent aggravated criminal conduct or threat of harm to children.

Providing for expedited processing and review of asylum cases so that — within 14 days — those who meet the legal standards will be granted asylum and those who do not will be immediately returned to their home countries.

Im sorry youre opposed to a solution that can facilitate both assets.
edit on 20-6-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

These FAKE Republicans Exposed themselves too . ALL Calling for the President to End Boarder Enforcement .

The Traitors ...........

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)
Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS)
Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME)
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN)
Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
Sen. John Boozman (R-AR)
Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV)
Sen. Cory Gardner (R-CO)
Sen. James Lankford (R-OK)
Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA)
Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH)

Huh, talk about eating your own here. Some of the most Republican Republicans to have ever Republicaned in recent history apparently aren't real Republicans now.

By the way, since people would rather get the spit ready for a roasting instead of being thorough, it's worth pointing out that Jerry above me went that extra mile to show he's all about effective legislation & not just "ignoring" anything.

Here you go, direct link to his post. No way you can say you didn't read anything about it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6/20/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I make more $ than all of you.

Watching you puppets bicker about this is entertaining.

Please continue.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

Will there be hovercars?

To SR1TX, you do know that when/if they abolish borders you and everyone you know will be dead and in the ground by a couple of hundred years right?

I also agree we should have a world without borders but we are so far away from that being even close to a reality its not even worth thinking about, the world just doesnt share the wests open minded and liberal attitudes for it to work well.
Id actually put money on the world becoming significantly more nationalistic within the next decade or so but we will see.

I find the smug arrogant comments of idealists who dont exist in reality amusing, your post gave me a chuckle

Everyone I know could be dead and in the ground 20 years from now or tomorrow.

What is your point?

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

Will there be hovercars?

Everyone I know could be dead and in the ground 20 years from now or tomorrow.

What is your point?

My point is your smug belief that the world will be borderless is so far away from being a reality that you may as well be talking about the sun expanding to the point where it consumes the earth.
Both are inevitabilities but will happen so far in the future that it has no bearing on how the world works today

I make more $ than all of you.
Watching you puppets bicker about this is entertaining.

You sound like a douche and Id put money on you being full of shyte
edit on 20/6/2018 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Political posturing
with no substance.

Trump did not create the policy.
The administration is only enforcing
THE LAW.

Just wait until the next file is released,
and heads begin to roll.

CNN will be " Trump caves to Space Aliens
with new space force plan".

S&F

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
...a solution...

No it's not.

Double the number of immigration judges and you still don't make a dent in the backlog or against the increasing numbers:

Source.

So, if on average individuals currently wait 670 days, doubling the number of judges only cuts the wait time number in half, to 335 days. That's not even in the same universe as 14 days.

Next, Obama built family detention centers. The conditions were so deplorable, that approach was consequently abandoned. Even if you built better ones, how long do you think it would take to house tens of thousands of people? Can you build that in a month? Six months? A year?

Meanwhile, all such legislation would do is put MORE children at risk. No one seems to cry for the ones who die in the desert or are exploited by the coyotes. This legislation will grow that problem, not diminish it.

The *solution* is for democrats to stop playing politics and work on true immigration reform, including securing our boarders. Period.

edit on 20-6-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join